Did I do the right thing?

Old 07-08-2004, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Did I do the right thing?

This morning I was pulling up to my house with my 5 y.o. DD in the car. Our 13 y/o neighbor boy & his friend were out in front & he looked upset and ran onto his porch. As I was getting out of the car I asked what was wrong and he pointed behind me and said that guy just told us to come over to his car. There was a man in a pickup who had been driving behind me erratically. I told the kids to go inside and asked him what he wanted. The guy just sat there for a second and stared at me then answered. He was slurring and not making any sense. He was looking for someone who used to live here, I think. He was beligerrent (sp?) and then apologetic then beligerrent... I told him to get lost. I took his plate number and called 911.

I was so pissed off and disgusted and he scared the hell out of the kids. And he could be on his way to a fatal accident with someone innocent or find some other kids to harrass. I think I did the right thing. Then again I think I might have reacted because of my situation with my AH who continues to drive drunk after his DUI. And I'm slightly concerned because this moron knows where I live. I just couldn't let it pass. Did I do the right thing???
Old 07-08-2004, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What you did just might have saved someone's life. Don't worry about him knowing where you live. He was drunk, good chance he won't remember.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You did the right thing; you did a brave thing; and you set a good example for the kids. Try not to second guess youself -- be proud!
Old 07-08-2004, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks Gabe and freya. I feel good about it now. I just felt like I went from 0 to infuriated in a split second - and when I react out of anger I'm almost always sorry later. In this case, it was a good thing. I almost felt like I was calling the cops on my AH - it was very cathartic. :wink2:

Thanks again.