Notices

Day 3 and not as much of a doosey!

Old 06-06-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 and not as much of a doosey!

Jeez this place is busy! That is great but a little overwhelming and intimidating. I am not sure if I should keep replying to my initial threads to update on my early stages of recovery or make a new thread. Either way - before I start reading through all the incredible inspiration I see posted today, I wanted to share my day 3 experience.

After 2 days of literally hibernating in my deep, dark, scary, booze scented bedroom - fully in withdrawals, very swollen tear soaked eyes and totally confused... I awake and even shower! Ha, ha... well that was step one. What I have learned in just a couple short days is to set small, realistic goals and accomplish them as to avoid anymore guilt which leads me directly to the bottle(s). I got out of the shower and thought, what next. Get out of the house! I got all gussy'd up (which felt good after swimming in sweat soaked pj's for 2 days straight) and made some simple chore plans that had fell to the wayside due to hangovers. I dropped clothes off at consignment and goodwill, went to a movie by myself, which I've never done (bad neighbors - pretty good) went to starbux, went directly to my sisters house which I had canceled on the night before and then we went to dinner and ANOTHER movie (Maleficent - way good in 3D Imax).

I am documenting this for a couple reasons. One - 2 days ago, I would never have thought that I could get in my car and leave my house without driving to get a few sneaky airplane bottles of vodka and I hope this gives hope to anyone on day 1 of this journey! And 2, I want to be able to look back and see the drastic improvement each day can make living sober.

Baby steps. Small realistic goals that you actually complete and just keep filling each day up with positive things. Thanks all for your support!

Until tomorrow...
Old 06-06-2014, 12:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by sunnybaz View Post
Jeez this place is busy!
Tell me about it
=That is great but a little overwhelming and intimidating. I am not sure if I should keep replying to my initial threads to update on my early stages of recovery or make a new thread. Either way - before I start reading through all the incredible inspiration I see posted today, I wanted to share my day 3 experience.
whatever way you're more comfortable with is fine Baz

After 2 days of literally hibernating in my deep, dark, scary, booze scented bedroom - fully in withdrawals, very swollen tear soaked eyes and totally confused... I awake and even shower! Ha, ha... well that was step one. What I have learned in just a couple short days is to set small, realistic goals and accomplish them as to avoid anymore guilt which leads me directly to the bottle(s). I got out of the shower and thought, what next. Get out of the house! I got all gussy'd up (which felt good after swimming in sweat soaked pj's for 2 days straight) and made some simple chore plans that had fell to the wayside due to hangovers. I dropped clothes off at consignment and goodwill, went to a movie by myself, which I've never done (bad neighbors - pretty good) went to starbux, went directly to my sisters house which I had canceled on the night before and then we went to dinner and ANOTHER movie (Maleficent - way good in 3D Imax).

I am documenting this for a couple reasons. One - 2 days ago, I would never have thought that I could get in my car and leave my house without driving to get a few sneaky airplane bottles of vodka and I hope this gives hope to anyone on day 1 of this journey! And 2, I want to be able to look back and see the drastic improvement each day can make living sober.

Baby steps. Small realistic goals that you actually complete and just keep filling each day up with positive things. Thanks all for your support!

Until tomorrow...
sounds like a good day Baz...hope tomorrow is even better

D
Old 06-06-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

keep on sunnyB

Bestwishes, m
Old 06-06-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great stuff! Don't be intimated, when used to it you will enjoy the SR action. LOL!

One thing that helped me in early recovery was to wash my bed. The booze sweats really smelled and found that it triggered me. A nice smelling bed will make you feel good and proud of your sobriety.

Happy to see you are posting, it was always a life savior for me.

The worst thing for recovery is to stay inside our heads. The pity party kicks in and this usually will generate the idea of f It.

Another important thing, do not over analyze and dwell on the past mistakes. You read those pages already and are busy writing the new pages of your life!
Old 06-06-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love hearing from all of you and you're all so swift to post ta boot!

D - You rock as a moderator. Do you ever sleep? LOL!

Patman - Warsh the bed - great Idea! It's on my to-do list tomorrow. Today it was just important that I get out of it. LOL!

This place is really making a difference and it's because of YOU! I didn't have a phone today and had not way to check the forums here, etc. and I really was excited to get home from a positive day to check in. Im learning that connecting with others in recovery is important and tomorrow I am going to try an AA meeting in person. I was nervy about going alone and my sister has offered to go with me. I hope that is okay/within AA meeting rules. I recall having to go to one after a DUI a few years back and it was just one meeting but it seemed very inviting and open. I look forward to sharing my experience and getting things on paper so to speak.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Until tomorrow...
Hi and welcome sunnybaz. I'm right there with you being just a few days sober, and this is exactly how I feel. I try to take things hour by hour, and if that doesn't work, minute by minute.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep up the AWESOME work EarlyHours. I dont know if this is your first attempt to get sober, but I am finding the encouragement from some of the more veteran members and what I can only imagine are direct quotes from AA are just spot on. I have repeated in my head "hour by hour" quite a few times in the past couple days and it's gotten me this far.

Kuddos to you, you should feel proud and positive!
Old 06-06-2014, 01:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sunnybaz - I reakon the days keep getting better now I'm sober.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep up the AWESOME work EarlyHours. I dont know if this is your first attempt to get sober, but I am finding the encouragement from some of the more veteran members and what I can only imagine are direct quotes from AA are just spot on. I have repeated in my head "hour by hour" quite a few times in the past couple days and it's gotten me this far.

Kuddos to you, you should feel proud and positive!
About 10 years ago, I spent a month living on the streets, it was the one time I was more concerned about what I would eat than what I would drink, but even then I would find a way towards alcohol every few days. That said, this is the first time I have mentally made the choice to get sober.

You are right, the veteran members here are amazing, which is what encouraged me to register here and not go through this alone. Anyone that posts here, day 1 or year 50 is a special person. It's a big step.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sunny, it was great to read the positivity in your latest posts.

As a newcomer I know what you mean about the traffic; it's hard to keep up, but in the end I believe having such an active community is a positive. This is day 3 for me and I'm still in the hour by hour phase, so you're not alone with that.

Wishing you well.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome Gonnachange! And you are... gonna change that is ;-)

I hope you have an incredible day! I am online now looking for a meeting as encouraged by others. I am anxious and nervous but excited all at the same time. Imagine that... feeling something for a change.

Good luck on your Day 3!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
nmd

glad your day 3 is much better than 2. :-) I'm on my day 3 today, though none of the physical withdrawal issues. Good luck and keep it going!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by AlcoholFree66 View Post
Sunnybaz - I reakon the days keep getting better now I'm sober.
Ditto AlcoholFree66.

Way to go SunnyBaz! Keep on keeping' on. Log into the forum wherever you are and whenever you need.

Personally stay logged in and bounce in and out of threads and posts. This place has been a salvation.

About starting a new post vs. continuing...I love to read all the responses and find that a bunch of new posts are easier to read versus the long ones because then I never lose my place and rarely have to start over

Every thread has pearls of wisdom to offer

Old 06-06-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good,good,good!!!
G
Old 06-06-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Power to all you day 3ers.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done sunnybaz!! Great positivity!

But ermm, what on EARTH is a doosey??? It sounds rude!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was nervy about going alone and my sister has offered to go with me. I hope that is okay/within AA meeting rules.
Hi, Sunnybaz! Thank you for your positive, inspiring posts.

Phoenix would probably have an online listing of AA meetings. The ones marked "open meeting" would be fine for your sister to attend as well.

P.S. -- I'm looking forward to not having to wash my sheets and blankets so often.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Cowgirlie you made me laugh! I am originally from Minnesota which basically has a language all it's own. I forget there are folks from all around the world here. Allow me...

Doosey:

Problematic situation categorised by error, complicated information or challenge.

"I have made the same mistake again! Wow! This is a doosey!"

"Watch out for that last step - It's a doosey!"

The same mistake again example is so relevant to our addict behavior, don't ya think?

Thanks for the laugh! ;-)