Notices

need to vent

Old 06-05-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need to vent

I'm a "can drink a few beers at the BBQ" type of guys for 6 months and after about that amount of time I kinda ramp up for a couple weeks culminating in a solid blackout drunk which sometimes gets me in a good bit of trouble.

I've got a house, an awesome wife, an awesome job, two awesome kids, and good health. So wtf is wrong with me?

Over the course of my life blackout drunk episodes have brought me close to losing it all. When I was younger, I did lose a lot, but that was a lot less to lose back then.

In the past 5 years I've had three incidents that push my luck to the brink. 3 days ago I was at the peak of my life. 2 days ago I ****** it up and almost lost my job. Tomorrow I go in and find out how ****** I am from a job POV, but - I know I'm still employed.

So, having a beer is a dice-rolling process that puts my family at risk in an absurdly unacceptable way.

I've got to do this. If I don't, a year from now I'll be dead or in jail.

thanks for listening.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR notdrunkrg

I started that way, binge drinking, although mine was over much shorter intervals. I'd usually binge one a week or so.

I still think it's the same monster tho.

Over 20 years, the consequences got worse and worse. If I hadn't quit I';d be dead now for sure.

It's good you're ready to deal with this now. You'll find a ton of support here.

D
Old 06-05-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, notdrunkrg! Good to have you with us. From your first post it does look like it's time to quit drinking and find a better way to live your life. You can do it!
Old 06-05-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am glad you found us. You will find lots of love and support here. We have online meetings on Tuesday and Friday, 9pm eastern. It is a journey for sure walking the sober trail, but you will have lots of company. You can do this, the same as the rest of us, one day at a time. Again, Welcome. Post as often as you want, people here will all try to help.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Welcome to SR. I was a binge drinker too and before I lost it all (almost lost my partner) I decided to walk away from alcohol. And I don't regret it for one second.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Similar than Dee, I packed 20 years of Alcoholism and near the end, 7 days ago I almost ended up at the hospital.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome notdrunkrg. I think it'll really help you to be here with us.

Like Dee, I was once a binge drinker. Over time I graduated to every day drinking. I never knew where those drinks would take me once the first few were in my system. It was dangerous and messy. My only choice was to stop all together, since I had no control. Great to have you with us.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry my phone sent before I was finished.

You certainly can stop drinking. There is a life after the party is over. A good life. Simple, but healthy and good!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow. I made some half-assed attempt to stop this over the years. I never (meaningfully) engaged with like-minded people. Thank you kindly for the responses. I suspect this type of interaction will be critical to my success.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had blackouts during the last months of my drinking and to this day, thinking about them still scares me. It's so frightening that you have periods of your life that you have absolutely no recollection of.

We do understand how hard this is, and I'm glad you posted.