Notices

Celebrating a small success...

Old 07-08-2004, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Celebrating a small success...

Yesterday afternoon was minute by minute for me, but I made it through. I went to a concert last night with my wife, a situation where it's not only normal but actually expected for me to have a drink. Maybe it's the beer (wine) goggles I've worn for the past several years, but I was actually amazed to see how few people were actually drinking there.

It might also have been the audience, btw. It was Simon & Garfunkle, playing the Toyota Center in Houston - a very laid-back crowd. The show was fantastic. They literally brought down the house. Had a great time.

God bless,
Joe
Old 07-08-2004, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Small successes have the hugest rewards in my experience. So glad you had a good time.

((((((((((((((Big Hugs))))))))))))))
Old 07-08-2004, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Joe,

I saw Simon & Garfunkel here last fall and it was a great show. They really showed that they were old friends who had been through a lot and remained friends.

Congratulations on getting through a tough day and evening. Every time you make it you get stronger. It's the only way to do it.

Love, Anna
Old 07-08-2004, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Red face (((joe)))

Congrads on your victory ! I celebrate them everyday ! Nothin small about a day without booze and drugs! Each one is precious to me. Beer and wine goggles ? LMAO ! :wink2: Trish
Old 07-08-2004, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

minute by minute, talk about small miracles.
sometimes i had to take it second by second, but thats what they mean when they tell you to keep it in the moment. great work, glad you enjoyed the show.

last year i saw the doors play at jones beach, i was very anxious about this concet because of the history of the doors drug and alcohol abuse. jim morrison was an idol of mine, still is in a way. i din't know if i could go and not succumb to my disease.

then it dawned on me, i would only pick up if i chose to. so i set myself up to not pick up. i invited my sponsor and his wife along, cost a little extra in ticket money but look what i saved in recovery costs.

best part is, i remember every lyric sang and the order of songs sung, LOL

it's the little things i do that keep me sober today, if someting is stressing me out then i'm not doing everything i'm supposed to be doing. i step back and survey the situation now. and if i'm not at all comfortable with it, i make a call and turn it over to someone else for guidance. be that someone my higher power or my sponsor or just another person in recovery.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Thanks all, and many congrats on your year Bill. The Doors would have been incredible even w/o Morrison. I think I've got all of their albums on vinyl somewhere. Need to buy a turntable someday. Chalk them up with the Grateful Dead as a band I hope to see reunited when I go to my eternal reward.

Joe
Old 07-08-2004, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dan

Joe, I'm so there!
If you feel like it, why don't you post a review in the Musicians thread in the General Recovery Forum?
I'm dying to hear about it
And hey! Good job!
Old 07-08-2004, 07:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Love to Dan. Gotta get some work done, but I'll post when I've got a few extra minutes to do it justice.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Brookie
Love to Dan. Gotta get some work done, but I'll post when I've got a few extra minutes to do it justice.
Thanks Joe. Much appreciated. And tell me they did "Mrs. Robinson"!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Have no fear on that score, amigo. Mrs. Robinson was awesome, earning one of many standing O's. Wish you could have heard Bridge Over Troubled Water. Did a surprising amount of early stuff from the 60's. About the only song they didn't do that I was hoping for was Late in the Evening.

Art Garfunkle's voice is incredible, even at 63.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Great job Brookie, Keep it up. I heard about the concert on Sunny 99.1 and wanted to go... Maybe i see them next year...

Ray
Old 07-08-2004, 08:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

coo coo ca choo !
Old 07-08-2004, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Way to go Joe!!!

I am glad you got to go and see a concert sober.
Sounds like a concert I would have loved as well.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

hey fellow texan. i love coming out of a situation where the urge it there and the drug is there and i dont' do it. i feel so 'normal'. but such a strong normal. i almost get a big head. i'm like i am here and loving it and by the way 'no thanks i am not using'. those situations make us so much stronger. and you are learning to enjoy all the things you didn't think you could enjoy iwthout the alcohol. and this is no small success my friend. every second, minute, hour is a HUGE step. glad to see you had a great time.
audra