Notices

Mood Swings

Old 06-04-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mood Swings

Hi there, I'm new to SR. I quit using script headache pills, Fioricet (contains barbutibal) w/Codiene, 5 weeks ago. I was taking about 4 per day before I stopped. Had started at 1pill per day about 3 years ago and gradually increased to where I ended up. It didn't have any negative effects on my life other than the burden of constantly counting pills, checking the clock, and feeling ill if I didn't take one on time. I functioned well on them. Towards the end when I got up to 4 per day, I felt they were causing me some anxiety.

I didn't really go thru much of a physical withdraw, but more of psychological withdraw for the first week. Extreme agitation, anxiety, couldn't think straight etc. Couldn't really function well for a couple days and stayed in bed.

I've been very open with my MD and my family and am seeing a therapist. I have a lot of support.

5 weeks out, I haven't had a craving for the drug at all. I never really used it to get high or buzzed but like the way I felt on it. Does that make sense at all? I'm not looking for the feeling at all. Again, in the end the pill made me feel more anxious than good, but I took them to not feel physically bad.

What I am dealing with is still some mood swings. I feel very irritable at times, sometimes exhausted, sometimes good. The worst is when I feel exhausted and don't feel like doing anything. This is when I fear that I'm depressed and then obsess about whether I have a mental disorder. Then that feeling goes away just a fast as it came on and I feel fine for a while.

I am on my 5 week of Lexapro as well. My MD recommended taking to help repair my brain pathways and because I had recently increased my pill usage to deal with some anxiety.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Is all of this from the stopping the headache pills or is it adjusting to the Lexapro? I would think I wouldn't have had more of a craving for the pills than I do. I have some left and have had no inclination to take them. When will the mood swings go away, or is this just normal life when you aren't on something?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

I've no personal experience with that medication, but I'm sure with any addiction, the body needs to adjust from not having what it has had for years, I can only speak from alcohol addiction.

I'm sure there will be someone coming behind me with some experience!!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi RWB - welcome to SR

I have no personal experience with either of those drugs. You you consulted your Dr at all?

D
Old 06-04-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site. You'll find lots of support here.