Halfway house experiences?

Old 06-04-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Halfway house experiences?

So AH is getting discharged from rehab next week. He has to return to work for a couple of weeks(his employer is holding a large bonus that was paid out to the employees but not to my AH because he was in rehab, he has to work a pay cycle before they will release it to him) and then he is wanting to go back and live in the halfway house for 10 weeks.

He wanted my advice on this, I simply said it was really his decision. I'm curious as to your experiences with it? Has it been positive or negative?

(Our background: we've been seperated for 1.5 yrs, I moved back to home state, he was wanting to move back also, but his drinking was out of control especially while he's been on his own, he went to rehab on his own(not his first rodeo))
Old 06-04-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Stoic

You may get a more in-depth answer asking this in the A forum? I think the majority of the answers here would be from the people that had a loved one go to the halfway house, not necessarily the "inside" opinion.

**edited* I re-read your post, it looks like you are looking for the loved one's experience after-all, my apologies! =)
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

paige--I think the half-way house is an excellent idea. The more help in early recovery--the better. This is based o n many years of experience.

I also owned an Oxford House and rented it out at one time. They can never get that l evel of positive support at home.

dandylion
Old 06-04-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I lived in an Oxford house for two years -- not exactly a halfway house but sober living.
It was a huge benefit to my recovery.
It didn't KEEP me sober.
It wasn't easy but so worth it.

Bottom line -- like you said, it's his decision. If he's ready to do the work to stay sober he'll do ok. Again, all on him as you know.

Take care of you.