Notices

irritable and grouchy

Old 06-02-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

irritable and grouchy

All of a sudden, with 4 month sober, I am feeling very irritable. Been going on for the past few days. Rotten mood. Everything is annoying me except my dogs. This site even bugged me and I considered taking a break from it. People are bugging me. My job had me so annoyed today that I considered buying a bottle of wine. I thought it through and concluded that the time out it would provide would not be worth how horrible I'd feel tomorrow. I thought it was maybe caffeine, so I've been cutting back. Also trying to cut back on sugar. Maybe its another withdrawal? But it started before cutting back. Ive been excercizing and eating healthy. I know is I need to turn this around and get happy again. Any suggestions?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we all have periods like that. It's important for me to re-center and find balance.

If there's not been enough you time lately, maybe that's a factor?

Some folks meditate, some folks exercise, some people play or listen to music, indulge in hobbies or watch a funny movie.

D
Old 06-02-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There was a guy in my AA meeting today who has decades sober and he said, "People annoy me. I don't understand why they don't agree with me. I don't understand why they drive the way they do. I don't understand why they do things the way they do."

You are not alone, friend. I've read a few threads today about the four month blues. I'm just at three months and some days are like that for me too.'

Life doesn't get perfect for us just because we stopped using, I guess

This too shall pass.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I still get irritable with everything sometimes, including my pets (cats) and this site. Talking about it helps me. I ask myself why I'm getting cranky. It's usually something I have some underlying fear about, or a situation I can't control.

My husband bought a punching bag for exercise. I sometimes go a few rounds with it if I need to blow off steam. Getting more sleep helps too.

I also do what you do. Play the tape forward and think about what will happen and could happen if I drink. And just knowing I can't stay mad forever.

Just don't let your mind trick you into thinking it's okay to drink your anger into submission because then you would awaken angry still and hungover.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'll be four months in a few days. I'm irritable also. But I have increased my caffeine, and sugar because of it. That hasn't worked either....
Old 06-02-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wasn't long beyond 4 months I picked up again. I was highly irritable, feeling burnt out on recovery and SR and isolating too much (in hindsight) as I was getting sick of myself...working on me...being with me...I started to feel...alone in this somehow and overwhelmed.
I probably should have taken a class...learned something new...distracted myself from myself in a healthier manner....

Was probably just a period of sobriety growing pains...and I didn't make it through.
I'm fighting my way back to sobriety again now...worse for wear.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hear you!!!! I am 3 1/2 months and STRUGGlING! Just sucks right now, but I can't imagine how awful I would feel if I picked up. Trying to focus on the little things today, the big hug from my 5th grader before school. Made it through a Grad party this weekend and my husband had a good hard line comment for me. I told him everything was hard right now.....he said something to the effect of if you really miss that lifestyle and want to live it again, then drink. It was with the perfect tone of sarcasm that I needed. He couldn't understand why I missed something that made my life so unmanageable!!! Such a true observation!!! Boy I needed that! Just riding out these feelings now. It's ok that you're annoyed, annoyed is good, it's not hungover or regret or trying to remember or puking. It's just annoyed. Hang in there!
Old 06-03-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Yes I felt like that around 4 months also.

Check out this thread on PAWS. Tons of info and articles you can check out.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...periences.html
Old 06-03-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post

My job had me so annoyed today that I considered buying a bottle of wine.
at times I still get annoyed (mostly with myself)
but
I never let it take me to the thought of drinking

from what I have found (my past proves this point I think)
if I entertain the thoughts of drinking for long
I will drink

MM
Old 06-03-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I got vexed, I'd shown the way I could go without drink, but still something was getting to me, I found my moods far less permanent though as time moved on I had a strong feeling it was to do with letting go the thought of ever drinking, after all I'd proved something!
Once I settled into the thought of never drinking and not hoping that one day maybe, I felt better like a weight being slowly lifted of my shoulders.
John.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback. Maybe it has something to do with 4 months....the novelty of sobriety has worn off and it's just here. I guess it's what you make it. So i'm going to start trying different things to get back in balance-meditating, relaxing more, even saying the serenity prayer in situations where i get frustrated. I gotta realize that I can't control the outcomes of everything i come in contact with and I have to mellow out a bit and not take everything so personally. I don't want to get so wrapped up in negativity that I think of drinking. what a waste that would be and nothing would be fixed, that's for sure. I think this is just a part of sobriety that I have to deal with. It really helps to run it by you all and to have your support. thank you!!
Old 06-03-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Happyandfree, 4 months sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations. I'm about to be 4 years sober and I have gone through what you are describing regularly. What I do know is that if I took a drink it would only make things worse. Rootin for ya.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you're getting on through today happyandfree. I liked what you said bout "the novelty of sobriety wearing off". I think that's very possible. It's like we start coming down from our "quit high" and thinking "so ya..this is it? Big deal!". It's like some sort of weird no man's land that perhaps many give up in. I know I did.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's like we have to find other things that will stimulate the pleasure centers of our brains. Otherwise it feels like the song "is that all there is?" But the alcohol gave us a FALSE sense of pleasure!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
It's like we have to find other things that will stimulate the pleasure centers of our brains. Otherwise it feels like the song "is that all there is?" But the alcohol gave us a FALSE sense of pleasure!
I think so yes. I know I went on a much anticipated vacation that was a complete let down for a variety of reasons...and it was just too much in the weakened state I was already in. I think in early sobriety I have to know I always have to have an exit strategy from a person, place or thing if it is intolerable.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Neferkamichael, thanks. I am truly amazed I made it 4 months. I guess this is part of dealing with life on life's terms. I'll stick with it and try to mellow out. Today is much better than yesterday, when I thought I had terminal grouchiness. That sour mood doesn't feel good and I can see why people start drinking again when they get it. But you're right, drinking would make it so much worse. At least clear headed I can work on finding a solution.