narcisdistic personality disorder

Old 06-02-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

narcisdistic personality disorder

hi have been reading slot on this topic to understand how he can do the things he hss done to me...please read up on thid i think it would help msny realize. whats going on..many people with addiction have this trait..and the drs are. saying this is a trai they had most likely before they abused the drugs or slcohol..it developed early in thier life due to something happening that was traumatic to them growing up...i kinfa new what NP was but didnt know the extent and to how derp it goes..liok at a variety of web sights..it teaches u alot. opened up my eyes. and made me realize im not. thr crazy onr...he clsims i am..but also it will educate do we dont pick the same traits in someone else.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Their personality disorders often are part of addiction, and by the time they are addicted it doesn't matter much which came first, both need to be addressed.

Understanding the cause is helpful to them when they try to get clean, but doesn't excuse the addiction, it just explains it sometimes.

Hugs
Old 06-02-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Ugh.

Character -- or personality -- disorders are brutal. But I would recommend caution when it comes to trying to figure out why addicts do what they do. Those types of diagnoses are best left to a mental health professional. Under the right set of circumstances, all of us can exhibit traits that align with Narcissistic, Borderline, and Antisocial Personality Disorders. And that's doubly true for those in the throes of addiction.

Let's say for the sake of argument the addict in your life meets the criteria for such a diagnosis. Once you convolve NPD with addiction, that is a vicious combination. And you should consider removing him from your life. Chances are things will not get better. Just the opposite, in fact; it will get worse.

Life's too short to be coupled to someone like this.

ZoSo
Old 06-03-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have to say that many fit the personality disorder DX while they are using!!!

They are selfish, impulsive, manipulative, don't care about others...etc!

However, the true DX comes when they aren't using and how they behave.