Notices

Monday panic - I need some help

Old 06-02-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Monday panic - I need some help

I've only posted a handful of times here over the past few years, but I am a frequent lurker. I have been struggling mightily with alcohol the last 4-5 years, although my abuse has been for far longer than that. It was around that time that I began to have massive panic attacks after drinking bouts. The timing was right when I was forced by work to travel without my family. Things come back from time to time to trigger the panic all over again. I am at one of those episodes today.

I am far better than I was 5 years ago, when I was an all day, every day drinker. I was close to the edge of no return, I know that, and even thinking of that now often sends me into a panic. I still drink too much, and know that I need to quit altogether, but I have been unable to get there. I drink far less and far less often, but I still struggle daily thinking about it in one way or another. If ANYTHING is out of routine with my wife and kids though, that is my worst panic trigger of all.

Today, my wife and one of my kids are traveling far away for the week. I just gave them hugs goodbye a few hours ago. Usually, on Monday mornings I am at my worst because I drank all weekend. I did not do that this weekend, but I am panicked nonetheless. When it's something to do with my wife and especially my kids, and I can't be right there to hug them, I panic. I never had this until my drinking got out of control. It's like all of the guilt and regret comes rushing in all at once and I barely keep it together.

I know this is rambling and sounds silly but I am in a bad way this morning and just trying to calm down.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you fix a cup of relaxing tea, or some hot chocolate?

Here is something my dental hygienist learned from an anxiety seminar she attended with her anxious daughter (I am anxious too, hence why my hygienist was telling me as I sat in the dental chair) : curl your toes. Sounds silly, but it works. For some reason you can't be anxious when you are curling your toes
Old 06-02-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So, the alcohol is increasing your anxiety.

If you look through the Newcomers threads here, you'll see this is a recurring theme. Once I stopped drinking, my anxiety went way down within a few days.

It's just something I had to get through. I drank a lot of herbal tea, got more exercise and ate good whole foods as much as possible.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=biminiblue;4689374]So, the alcohol is increasing your anxiety.

If you look through the Newcomers threads here, you'll see this is a recurring theme. Once I stopped drinking, my anxiety went way down within a few days.

Same here, I used to get panic attacks pretty much constantly. They were worse the first few days after not drinking then faded, now they are very rare. I'd recommend just being kind to yourself while getting through the panic period. Eat/watch what you like, just anything except drinking to distract yourself.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to have really severe panic attacks if anything was out of my routine. I have pulled off the highway on the way to work. I've walked out of the building on my way to meetings because I had a panic attack. I've spent lunch hours hiding out in my car in the parking lot. Anyways, I share this just to say I know how you feel.

I still struggle with panic attacks but not nearly as bad as it used to be.

What helped me at first is getting a prescription from the Dr for a beta blocker (propranolol). Whenever I feel an attack coming on now I still take one and it works wonders, I couldn't have made it without this medication. Now I've tried to ween myself off of it and have been having success but I still take it occasionally.

Secondly, stop drinking. It led to your mental state which causes panic attacks just like it did mine. Avoiding drinking will not fix the panic attacks immediately but it's something that needs to be done if you ever want to be cured from them.

Stay away from caffeine of all sorts. I am caffeine intolerant and it acts as a trigger for my panic attacks. I have to stay away from caffeine completely most of the time. Your level of tolerance may vary.

Keep posting here your experiences with your panic attacks. Hopefully others can relate and help you cope, and move down that path to recovery.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your responses. I know my attacks are alcohol related. Certain triggers and I am done - but it ALL goes to my alcohol abuse and the accompanying guilt, shame, regret, etc., especially for my children. When I hit rock bottom 5 or so years ago when I was at my worst, my attacks were so bad I thought I would die, and I had never had one in my life and I was almost 40. With the family separation today I lost it, just like old times, and I am desperately trying to hang on right now.