Notices

About research on alcoholism

Old 06-01-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

About research on alcoholism

There had been a link to some brain research on alcoholism, and I typed a long responses but the thread disappeared. That is fine, as my response didn't have anything to do with the link itself. Still, I wanted to share my thoughts on research in general. I hope that is okay. The post is below.

Thank you for sharing.

You know what is interesting? There are so many conflicting theories out there, all by "experts". What I find is interesting is that AA didn't have to be founded by a neurological expert to know and figure out how to become sober.

I know that I can't drink, not one drop, or I end up on the same roller coaster again and again. The experts will continue to research things, and I genuinely find their research fascinating (sincerely thanking for your link).

The experts I cherish most are the ones who walked this hellish path and found the light and beauty of sobriety.

I hope I communicated that without sounding like I was demeaning your post, as I don't mean to do that at all. Knowledge is power! I know I tend to overthink things so much and that leads to inactivity (hence my signature line). I read somewhere that nobody is too stupid to get sober but some people might be too smart. I don't think this really means that if you're very smart you can't get sober, but that your AV can sound even more intelligent and convincing, and you're better at convincing yourself the wrong things. By you I guess I'm really saying me, as this is my problem.

Thanks again!
Old 06-01-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

Having worked for many years in alcohol and addiction research, I can tell you that the work has evolved into the development of complimentary rather than conflicting theories. People who frame these diverse models in competing, contradictory or conflicting terms are only expressing individual bias.