Notices

weight gain

Old 06-01-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

weight gain

Hiya I've got on the scales this morning as my body is looking trimmer but to my shock I've gained about 2 pounds. Not sure if it's water retention as I drink loads of water n diet coke.
I only had a few cheeky sweets last night but didn't really eat much else as since quitting my appetite seems so be vanishing.
Has anyone else experienced this and will it start to come off again as I finding this so unfair when I behave n he drinks n stuffs his face while looking like a twig
Old 06-01-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I found that I was dangerously dehydrated while I was drinking. I gained a couple of pounds of just water when I quit drinking. Eventually, my body evened out and any bit of swelling I had from water retention went down.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Zombiegirl - the weight has fallen off me when I've got sober in the past but it seems to get harder as I get older. Still this time my shape is certainly changing even though the scales haven't dropped significantly. I have been much more conscious to really cut back on sugar getting sober recently as it was suggested to me that I could be hypoglycaemic. I eat raw cacao chocolate (little bit and use dates, rice malt syrup and cacao powder to make sweet treats. It is amazing how quickly you find products with processed sugar incredibly sweet.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What's cacao? Never heard of that. Where would I buy it from?
I drink pint after pint of water so I'm thinking it's water retention. As arms have lost weight n tummy feels like it has x
Old 06-01-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The Kid

When I drank I lost a lot of muscle mass and was tired a lot. When I quit I built a lot of muscle back just from day to day activity.

I think when you drink it makes a bad environment in your body for building muscle so when you stop it can increase.

This is just my observation though.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this, zombiegirl. I really did think that I would lose a ton of weight when I stopped drinking. I figure I had to have been downing at least a 1000 calories or more a day in wine and/or Manhattans. Alas, I've not seen a single drop on the scale. Although it's only been a little over a week, and I have given in to a few (cough) carb cravings, I figured I'd see something!

The responses so far have been helpful.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have lost almost 10 pounds in the last 6 weeks, but it has been slow going and a lot of ups and downs. The only thing I can think of that I am doing differently (besides not ingesting thousands of wine calories) is stepping up the exercise. I swim and walk and keep up with the housework, all good calorie burners. Don't get discouraged, tho. We all have different metabolisms and sometimes our bodies take a little while to reset from past behaviors. How long have you been sober?
Old 06-01-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I started slowing my drinking down the past couple of months and then gave up completely 8 days ago. Very early door I know but I was still hoping for some loss :-(
Old 06-01-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't want to be gross but you may try a colon cleanse. I know I was holding on to a lot of weight that way. When we are drinking it really messes with the gastrointestinal system. Keep at it, sobriety is worth it even if we don't lose a pound.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've gained some weight because I've been craving sugar and carbs since I stopped drinking.....am trying to cut down or at least get it from fruit and other healthy sources.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm eating a lot less.
I do like my hot chocolate and I do buy the low calorie ones.
Possibly do need the toilet as my tummy isn't what it used to be.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
I've gained some weight because I've been craving sugar and carbs since I stopped drinking.....am trying to cut down or at least get it from fruit and other healthy sources.
It's been said that alcoholism is a thwarted sweet tooth. I quit six days ago and combined with chick things I've been mowing down sweets like I'm getting paid for it; normally sweet things don't interest me. I think another part of it as well is malnutrition. When one's diet consists of rum and Coke and no solid food, when the booze is gone and regular eating resumes the body's like FEED ME! FEED ME NOW! MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE! However, like choosing not to drink alcohol one can choose to eat a peach instead of a candy bar or have a glass of milk instead of a soda. When I give my body good food instead of the garbage, it's happy. Having a happy body is good.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zombiegirl View Post
Possibly do need the toilet as my tummy isn't what it used to be.
I am struggling since I stopped drinking. I have to drink senna tea or else I won't be able to visit the toilet for days. That might be the cause of your weight problem
Old 06-01-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have eaten so much crap since I stopped. I have sweet cravings that are just crazy
Old 06-01-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can't be bothered to eat I don't know why.
I do love my options hot chocolate though xx
Old 06-01-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

I can't be bothered to eat I don't know why.
I do love my options hot chocolate though xx

My appetite was non existent for the first month if memory serves me right, but much like Raider said, I then craved sweet things which is so unlike me as I was never a big sweet fan back when I drank.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Still not lost any weight it's getting very disheartening.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Still not lost any weight it's getting very disheartening.

Promise it will come ! I was not losing weight in my early days , but now I am over 2 stone lighter , but I do run , that helps
Old 06-02-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I can't do much at the moment as my backs so messed up but once it's sorted I will be back walking n jogging.
I'm even getting a dog once I'm sorted so I have to exercise lol
Old 06-02-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've noticed that I started eating more since I gave up, I think it's because everything tastes so much better haha. I'm going to try and stick to a decent diet when I return to the UK in a couple of weeks.