Notices

500 days of sober

Old 06-01-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

500 days of sober

Hi all -

Tomorrow marks my 500th day sober.

After trying for years and years, I am still in disbelief that I made it this far, and grateful that I kept trying and it finally took.

I believe the difference for me leading up to this success was a shift from viewing failure as shameful, to recognizing failure as deficit in my skills of living sober - and skills are learnable by asking myself 'what could I do differently next time. I'd like to recap the 3 part act of the journey so far in case it helps someone with their journey. SR has been my only recovery tool.

1 - 6 months
The first 6 months were pretty rough for me - I was constantly tired, and although clarity started to return, my brain was quite foggy. The physical rebound, and a new motivation to get things done were the first to bounce back though - and it was much better than while I was drinking. I decided to start caring for myself - and mostly took it easy & focused on self discovery and building awareness of my own needs. Vitamins helped.

6 - 12 months
The next 6 months I returned to school, and this increased my stress levels greatly, tested both my energy and mental processing. I felt great quite effective in my daily tasks again, and was getting feedback that I demonstrate a high level of self awareness, but not yet emotionally or interpersonally. By the end of the year, I realized a new insight: that alcohol wasn't about alcohol - it was just a vehicle for me to manage my emotions - and I have a lot of emotions.

12 months - now

Arriving at the year mark, I finally understood that recovery is different than sobriety. Recovery is all about learning the life skills that I skipped out on developing in my 20s. So now I'm focusing on emotional growth - both managing and expressing my emotions, how I communication, and how I connect with people. I've started a relationship with someone for the first time in 5 years.

Going forward

I feel like the past 500 days have been the best of my life, and this is a journey that is only just starting and it will continue to get better and more fulfilling.

A big thanks to SR for being an invaluable community that has been an invaluable companion on this journey. You guys are awesome!
Old 06-01-2014, 12:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations SE...it is certainly an amazing journey isn't it? Glad you're with us
Old 06-01-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Oh my gosh...SereneEdition, great job!!!

You are such an inspiration

So great.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome job! I hope the next 500 are even better.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 500 days Serene Edition - fantastic achievement

D
Old 06-01-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you, what a wonderful post.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Wow Serene congrats on Day 500! What a great post and so inspiring.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi S.E ,
Congratulations on the milestone arrived at . A good place to look around and take stock see whats working and what could do with changing .

Certainly for me after the year past things settled down . It's very comfortable and also dealing with those issues and growing is very personally empowering .

Sometimes i think the life skills i've learned have put me in a better place for dealing with stuff than some of my friends who haven't had to work a recovery.

I hope you keep on dealing with it all and keep sober ,

Bestwishes

m
Old 06-01-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations Serene, 500 days is a wonderful milestone, I appreciate your insights in your OP as I'm a little behind you. Enjoy!
Old 06-01-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Serene - Awesome on 500 days. Working on six months here and doing well. Reading your post inspires me to continue on the sober path. Thank YOU!
Old 06-01-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Amazing! Proud of you for this major milestone!

Thanks for sharing your journey, this man is at the beginning but look forward to walking the recovery steps!

Day 3 for me, foggy as the pits of hell. LOL!
Old 06-01-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So happy for you Serene my love, and so proud to be on this journey with you.
Congratulations on 500 days!! ♥♥

Love V xx
Old 06-01-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Many, many congratulations, Serene. I'm just 10 days behind you and can echo all you say.
Well done indeed
Old 06-01-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Many congrats on 500 days!
Old 06-01-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by SereneEdition View Post
Hi all -

Tomorrow marks my 500th day sober.

After trying for years and years, I am still in disbelief that I made it this far, and grateful that I kept trying and it finally took.

I believe the difference for me leading up to this success was a shift from viewing failure as shameful, to recognizing failure as deficit in my skills of living sober - and skills are learnable by asking myself 'what could I do differently next time. I'd like to recap the 3 part act of the journey so far in case it helps someone with their journey. SR has been my only recovery tool.

1 - 6 months
The first 6 months were pretty rough for me - I was constantly tired, and although clarity started to return, my brain was quite foggy. The physical rebound, and a new motivation to get things done were the first to bounce back though - and it was much better than while I was drinking. I decided to start caring for myself - and mostly took it easy & focused on self discovery and building awareness of my own needs. Vitamins helped.

6 - 12 months
The next 6 months I returned to school, and this increased my stress levels greatly, tested both my energy and mental processing. I felt great quite effective in my daily tasks again, and was getting feedback that I demonstrate a high level of self awareness, but not yet emotionally or interpersonally. By the end of the year, I realized a new insight: that alcohol wasn't about alcohol - it was just a vehicle for me to manage my emotions - and I have a lot of emotions.

12 months - now

Arriving at the year mark, I finally understood that recovery is different than sobriety. Recovery is all about learning the life skills that I skipped out on developing in my 20s. So now I'm focusing on emotional growth - both managing and expressing my emotions, how I communication, and how I connect with people. I've started a relationship with someone for the first time in 5 years.

Going forward

I feel like the past 500 days have been the best of my life, and this is a journey that is only just starting and it will continue to get better and more fulfilling.

A big thanks to SR for being an invaluable community that has been an invaluable companion on this journey. You guys are awesome!

Absolutely fabulous, reading your timelines also helps people like me to know what I can expect down the line, the first 6 months certainly was just like mine.
Congratulations.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 500 days Serene! Best wishes to you as you continue on life's journey; embracing each day as it presents with grace and dignity.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great post, very inspiring.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Serene. 500 days is HUGE. Very happy for you.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I love this post! Congratulations!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That's a great post!! Good job on your Sobriety!