Notices

withdrawal effects after 2 months

Old 05-30-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

withdrawal effects after 2 months

I have been feeling depressed lately. Overwhelmed at work and home. My mind keeps say have a few drinks and it will go away . I am not a believer in antidepressants. Haven't been exercising. Still need to fill alcohol void and I am not feeling positive. It seems like there are of periods of this in recovery. Has anyone eexperienced this waves of this through the process?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, definitely goes in waves. Exercise really helps, even just walking. Are you following any specific recovery plan at all? Structure helped me too, have a plan for your day.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep. From what everyone has said, early sobriety is just hard. I'm going through the same thing. As I've been told -- you're feeling emotions clearly, ones that you used to mask with substances. It helps to reach out to other alcoholics for support; it's important not to isolate because it's easy to get in your own head and that's the worst place for newly sober people to get caught. Exercise helps. So does just sitting in the sun. I've been doing a lot of both.

Have you looked into any recovery programs? In my opinion, working a program and having those guidelines is helpful with these feelings of sadness and isolation.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Went to a few as meetings. Got some to tools like journaling and letting go of worries. But everyday feels like I am just waiting for more things to hit the fan. Just getting a lethargic and tired of dealing with stupid things. Feeling like I am just next for the next problem to arrive after I solved the last one.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
Went to a few as meetings. Got some to tools like journaling and letting go of worries. But everyday feels like I am just waiting for more things to hit the fan. Just getting a lethargic and tired of dealing with stupid things. Feeling like I am just next for the next problem to arrive after I solved the last one.
Maybe go to some more if you liked AA at all? If not, there are a ton of other recovery programs and lots of sobriety knowledge on this site. Find what works for you. Life is hard to deal with sober, especially if you've never really done it. It wasn't until I became active in my recovery (I work AA but I feel this is applicable to any program, not trying to push my own) that I began to feel my life become more manageable. At first, I thought just not drinking was enough to get better. But I still had the same problems and an alcoholic mind. I dealt with life as an alcoholic does because I never knew anything else.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi hardhearts - wow! That comment about feeling things clearly now is so me at this stage in my recovery! I used to think my only way of letting feelings out, of coaxing deep buried feelings to the surface was through drinking - now I'm accepting drink is no longer there for me, I have so many feelings! Intense ones as well! I have so many emotions and I'm becoming so incredibly empathic towards other people! It's a crazy sensation, and one I'm terrified of and rejoice in at the same time. I think to myself - so this is how it feels to feel so deeply, truly! I now know of course that so many of my previous feelings were not my own or true, but were clouded by substance. Thanks for posting that.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm just coming up on 100 days, and I have defiantly hit a wall or something in my healing too. I think I have struggled with depression for many years, and was hoping it would lift when I quit drinking. It hasn't yet, I'm in my 50's, and I'm assuming it is going to take a little longer. I did get a script for zoloft, which I hope will work better now that I'm not drinking. I guess i'm saying stick with it, it gets better, but don't ignore real depression, at least go talk to someone, that in itself helps.

And remember any problems you have now would be much worse if you keep drinking, alcohol won't fix you only masks any underlying problems

Peace
Old 05-31-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I found it very difficult at around 70 days and then again after 100 days. Regular exercise (even walking) and AA meetings are what help the very most. It also helps to just know there are times like this and they do pass if you stick it out. Hang in there.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
I have been feeling depressed lately. Overwhelmed at work and home. My mind keeps say have a few drinks and it will go away . I am not a believer in antidepressants. Haven't been exercising. Still need to fill alcohol void and I am not feeling positive. It seems like there are of periods of this in recovery. Has anyone eexperienced this waves of this through the process?
A few drinks and problems will go away? l.o.l Those problems will come back stronger and with added control.

I've been alcohol- free for a little over 2 months. I find myself depressed at times and aggravated. Also emotions flying every which way that I am having a hard time dealing with.

I handle these imperfections on a daily basis SOBER and so can you
Old 05-31-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Felling better today. Just like urges emotions come and go. Maybe hitting up some more meetings and finding some new stress relievers is what I need. I am a male not used to dealing with emotions let alone sober emotions. Thanks for inspiring words all.