Notices

Today is the 1st day of the rest of my life

Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is the 1st day of the rest of my life

I have attempted to stop drinking more times than I can remember. I have been drinking heavily for about the last 7-10 years. I have recently found this website in desperation to stop drinking.

I have to admit I am scared and worried about never drinking again. I don't know why that worries me? I am sick of waking up almost everyday hung-over, feeling sick, hating myself and worring that my husband will hate me.

I have admitted to my husband my problem and he is very supportive; however, I have continued to drink since admitting to him two weeks ago and I feel as if I am a big failure. I am afraid of failure.

I know I have a problem and I am here for help. If anyone could give me advice on how to get thru the next few days without drinking that would be wonderful.

I am a nurse and I am aware of the medical implications of abstaining.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!
Old 07-07-2004, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SoberRecovery.
This was a good place for you to come and find out more about alcoholism and share with others who are going throught the same thing.
What about an outside support group? Have you thought about going to an AA meeting?
We will be here to help you through the withdrawals...
More and more Naltrexone is being prescibed to take away the craving and remove the high you get when/if you do drink. Ask your doctor about it.
The past couple of times that I have gone through withdrawal, I just had to sweat them out and ride with it. But it did subside.
I am almost 60 days sober and very grateful.
Read in the alcohol forum and ask questions...
I am addict to alcohol.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Hockeychick,

before I started out successfully I read a tip online from a fellow traveller suggesting making a list of things to do every evening - obviously things avoiding drink!
I went out to see films, to the theatre, drove about to see friends I'd not seen in ages, went out to the gym, and all sorts really. I actually found - after being hard at first - that there was a whole pile of stuff I had not being doing because I was busy being unconscious... familiar?

Make a career of getting sober - plan, plot, scheme, get organised, spend an evening at the supermarket buying fruit juice, bottles of mineral water, and the like.

Plan yourself milestones and treats maybe... I set myself tasks like go into a pub and order a mineral water, sit at the bar and drink it and then leave - but only try that one if you're really sure about your self control.

Loads to do Hockeychick, it's a long road - you'll make it if you pack enough tools, supplies and have a map layed out before you.

Come back and let us know how you're getting on.

Deg.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Hockeychick,

I am Triegger, an alcoholic, on my 5th day sober. I have little advice to share as I am so new at this but I can tell you my experience.

I took off last Friday from work, my day one! Posted on the board and stayed here but I made a fatal mistake, for me at least. I had liquor in the house and I was not strong enough to not drink it when the crave started. So, that would be my first bit of advice, remove all temptation.

I started again that night, poured the drink in the sink and tried to get some rest. The next day this board got me through, I counted minutes until each hour was up so I could post and say "Hey, another hour under my belt". So my second bit of advice is to post, there are people here all the time to offer you the support you need.

That's all the wisdom I can offer and it is based purely on my experience. However, I can keep you in my thoughts and prayers as I do all of us who are struggling with this addiction.

Triegger
Old 07-07-2004, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by hockeychica
I am a nurse and I am aware of the medical implications of abstaining.
Welcome to SoberRecovery. I'm sure you mean medical implications of alcohol withdrawal. I'm also sure you are aware of the medical implications of continued alcohol abuse. I was so scared when I thought of not drinking for the rest of my life. I simply could not fathom it. So I kept drinking and using other drugs until I was faced with a simple choice. Continue and die, or give up and get help. I chose the latter. People just like me, with the same disease, showed me ways to regain control of my life. You can too.
Again, welcome
Old 07-07-2004, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you all for the advice. I have removed all of the liquer from the house and I am going into work tonight so I am safe until 7am when I like to come home and have a bloody mary or two. I will just need to be strong. I will probably get on this board and post till I fall asleep.

I know this is going to be a struggle. In the days to come I will post my progress as well as read the progress of others. I find strength in this forum. I know sobriety has to be better than the hell I put myself thru when I drink.

Thanks to all.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Big Hugs To You Girlfriend...
Old 07-07-2004, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Chica and welcome!
Boy you sound just like I did when I arrived! I so understand that desperation, and hangover sickness! You can do this, don't think about the future, just plan one day at a time. *hugs*
Old 07-07-2004, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You must be a Blues fan!!

I have been sober for ten months and tried to stop many times, but failed. That is until I learned that I needed outside support and accepted that I had a disease that was beyond my control.

It sounds like you are in the same situation I was in when I quit - worried about my wife and career, and not happy about the direction my life was headed.

It is not easy to quit, but obviously the rewards are great. I feel more alive now than I have felt in ten years.

Good luck and take care - there are a lot of great folks here also!!

Dave
Old 07-07-2004, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

WELCOME CHICA,YOU'VE FOUND THE RIGHT SITE FOR SUPPORT.
I'M JUST LIKE YOU AND THE OTHERS HERE.
WHEN I DRINK,THERE IS ALWAYS CONSEQUENCES.
REMORSE AND GUILT ARE A BIGGY FOR ME.
I'VE LOST EVERYTHING IN LIFE PEOPLE LIVE FOR TO MANY TIMES.
DOING THINGS DIFFERENLY NOW.
AA HELPS ME ALOT.I WISH YOU AND YOURS WELL....ted
Old 07-07-2004, 04:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

great advice above, meetings worked for me. nothing beat the support of others that i could relate to.

try a shot of B-12, and start in with multi vitamins. also keep candy close by, your body will be craving the sugar it's missing from the alcohol. and watch your sugar levels, being in the med field you'll understand why.

asking howard to keep an eye out for ya, your on the right path, just follow it through!
Old 07-07-2004, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello And welcome HockeyChica! I also had those fears that I would not be able to go through life sober. What would I do to relax? What would I do for fun? I would get all choked up just thinking about it! Well believe it or not, it is possoble to stop and learn how to handle cravings. Early on I kept sober by changing my routine and going to AA. Wasn't easy at first - but it does get better! Best of luck!!