Notices

My son just told me he hates me :(

Old 05-30-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My son just told me he hates me :(

My son just told me he hates me. No reason. Is this how a 12 year old boy acts? It just gets the best of me. The tears flow, the voices raise.

You would think that I'd want to drink huh? Hell no.

I won't give in; except to a good nites sleep
Old 05-30-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by airwick View Post
My son just told me he hates me. No reason. I guess that how 12 year old boys act It just gets the best of me. I'm asking myself why am I doing all of this to make his life better. The tears flow, the voices raise. You would think that I'd want to drink huh? Hell no. I won't give in; except to a good nites sleep

Aw, airwick; I'm sorry. 12 year old boys are flooded with hormones; they don't understand what is going on inside them; they are totally bewildered.

Feel better, airwick, and congratulations for not giving in.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

My daughter was 11 years old the first time she said that to me. It wasn't so much the words, although they hurt, but it was the way she was looking at me when she said it. Not shouting, just saying it through clenched teeth. I'm so sorry you heard that from your son, airwick. I know how deeply it cuts and how much it hurts, regardless of what they are going through at that age. ((((HUGS))))
Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not that it will help you feel any better but it sounds pretty normal to me airwick....I was a mess at around 13.

I"m sorry.

D
Old 05-30-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My 9 year old daughter came out with the same words recently…I think it shocked her as much as it shocked me. Then she said quickly "don't tell Dad I said that", at which point we both cracked up.

While I don't think it is ok for children to be disrespectful, I also believe that as they grow up they process all sorts of emotions. I would imagine that one of the safest places to test those out are at home.

I bet there are more parents who have heard those words than not. My mother used to tell me not to let the door hit me on the way out….
Old 05-30-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Someone wise told me that when boys reach a certain age (usually around puberty) they will make a very obvious point of showing you and themselves that they are separating from you, their beloved mother. They will do this because they have such intense love for their mothers, that at the puberty stage, makes them very uncomfortable. I have three sons. The youngest is almost 14 and all three have reacted to me very negatively during these years. I am experiencing the worst of it from my 16 year old right now who acts like I am the most ridiculous, silly person he has ever met and instigates and provokes me every chance that he gets. This, too, shall pass, airwick. My 18 year old son and I have come full circle and we have a wonderful relationship just in time for him to leave for college.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I always said that if your children say they hate you, you must be doing a good job. You are not supposed to be their friends. Many people think they are. So, congratulations to you for doing something RIGHT!!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember saying that to my mom once. I couldn't believe it. It was like something took over me.

I am sorry that happened. I hope tomorrow will be a better day for both of you. Good job staying sober!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Gotta echo dmdonnalee. I remember reading one of those little wisdom essays on some sign in a quaint little gift store that said something to the effect that if your kids hasn't told you at least once they hated you...you weren't doing your job.

Sounds like you are doing your job.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well that was rude. If I worried about all the people who dont like me- I would tell him to take a number.

Change you will. Tell him to change his name. Put him up for adoption. The grass is always greener on the other side....
Old 05-30-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anykey View Post
Tell him to change his name. Put him up for adoption. The grass is always greener on the other side....
You are kidding right?
Old 05-31-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Anykey: That's my boy, I will love him till the end. Returning him-giving him back- placing him for adoption.....NOT A CHOICE. I brought him into this world and I will keep him safe no matter what. No matter what was said, what ever is done.

I am sorry if I took what you said out of context
Old 05-31-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not sure any kid makes it through the teen years without telling his or her parents he or she hates them.....
Old 05-31-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It cuts you deep coming from your own child . Rest assured , he doesn't mean it . He's just pushing the boundaries .

The ones that hurt you most are the ones you love .

He really doesn't mean it xxx
Old 05-31-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just tell him you'll always love him whatever he says/does. don't shout or argue with him. They are just full of hormones at that age and testing boundaries plus don't know how they feel half the time. As long as he knows your love is unconditional he'll be ok
Old 05-31-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

12-19 is an out of body experience for most young people. Hormones are going wild. Forgive them for they know not what they say or do.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yep. My daughter is 18 and starting to come out of the "alien years." I call them that because I swear aliens abducted my princess when she was 13 and replaced with one of them.

It's natural and normal. By no means easy.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

He doesn't really hate you airwick. I suspect he was just angry and wasn't able to handle his emotions appropriately. I wouldn't fret about it too much; we all say hurtful things in the heat of the moment, especially children.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

When my daughter was 12 she changed from a sweet child to someone who could barely tolerate me and yes, I heard the 'I hate you' more than once. It's at that age that kids connect with their peers and step away from their parents. It's their friends that matter the most to them and it's very hard to take. If you hang in there, he will come out of it.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

He loves you enough and feels secure enough to say it out loud to you. That is a sign that he is only expressing his mixed emotions.

He may not like your behavior at times, but I believe he truly Does Love You.

Hugs,
~SB