Notices

Day 1 again

Old 05-29-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again

Well I had a meltdown a couple of nights ago. I had almost two weeks sober and then had a "victory" at work (but who will care in a few weeks, no one!) so the boss was like let's have a drink! After they had "a drink" I secretly went to my 3 watering holes and had 7 more! After that I said, ugh, I relapsed, but continued to do relapse every day afterwards until today. I have got to beat this. I had a good two weeks, I want two more like that, no hangovers, no zombie spaciness, no false emotions, no taste and breath of alcohol. I want to be fit and alert, which I haven't been for fifteen years (exactly coinciding with my heavy drinking career, no coincidence). I want to be the best dad and husband I can be. I know that problems won't vanish, but that doesn't matter. Anyway, I feel ashamed for "At the Bat", my last genius thread, so I wanted you guys to know that I am back, and getting sober and new again. Good luck to us!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Thanos

Have you given any thought to what you'll say and do next time the boss says 'lets have a drink'?

D
Old 05-29-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sometimes we get to a point in time where we make a firm decision
Old 05-29-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome back! It's always good to have a stand by response for when someone offers you a drink. Often, a simple "no thanks" will suffice. Health, weight, general well being (I get too groggy when I drink now) are all valid reasons for not drinking. There are many medications that warn against taking alcohol with them. I'm on a few so I stick with that if "no thanks" doesn't work.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're with you Thanos - you can do this. There's no fun in it anymore, only misery and despair. So let's begin again.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee that is a great question. Honestly I haven't thought about that though. I guess I am sick or something but it won't work long term ... My boss is a big party guy he would sense weirdness I think. I think I need to avoid those situations and just say I have child care issues and need to pick up the kids. Is that wrong?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Grits, I may look into medications with reactions to alcohol. That would give me a handy excuse until "no thanks" works for me. Right now if I say "no thanks", there will be multiple people (both higher status and clients I am supposed to ingratiate) saying, Aw Come On, tequila? Tequila! They make it so that "No thanks" would be confrontational