Notices

Realisation!

Old 05-29-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Realisation!

When I woke up this morning a thought struck me!

For years I really chose to believe that anyone who mentioned alcohol regularly or expressed vague concerns about drinking wines nightly (and in fact many other categories of people who can control their drinking) was secretly a drinker just like me.

For starters it doesn't matter but it is likely they don't drink like me - hide bottles, develop elaborate plans to be able to drink without being found out etc.

But more importantly I rationalised my drinking by judging those around me and questioning their drinking habits (in my head). Mad, mad, mad........
Old 05-29-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlcoholFree66 View Post
When I woke up this morning a thought struck me!

For years I really chose to believe that anyone who mentioned alcohol regularly or expressed vague concerns about drinking wines nightly (and in fact many other categories of people who can control their drinking) was secretly a drinker just like me.

For starters it doesn't matter but it is likely they don't drink like me - hide bottles, develop elaborate plans to be able to drink without being found out etc.

But more importantly I rationalised my drinking by judging those around me and questioning their drinking habits (in my head). Mad, mad, mad........
I can relate to that! The people that I saw at bars all the time probably didn't continue on drinking when they got home like I did!
Old 05-29-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did that too.

Everyone, and I do mean everyone that I associated with, had a problem with alcohol or was an alcoholic except me!

I compared myself to them all the time. They lost a job, I didn't. They got a DUI, I didn't. They got evicted, I didn't (I moved before they threw me out), they lost their kids, I didn't, blah blah blah and on and on.

I am an alcoholic, I just got lucky and all those things are waiting for me if I drink again.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

^it's interesting how those of us with alcoholic patterns gravitate toward and surround ourselves with others who also share those patterns.

Do we do it on purpose or does it just happen?

Regardless - it sure helps us foster and continue the belief that 'everyone' drinks like us.

Granted, a lot of people in 'western' societies have a LOT of drinking woven through their lives. Not all of them have a 'problem' with it, per se. Still, there are an awful lot of people who really just don't drink or hardly ever do or only drink one or two drinks at a sitting. For a long time my life was mostly populated by the members of the problem group or at least the 'lot of drinking woven through their lives' group.