Notices

Side effect?

Old 05-29-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Side effect?

Since stopping, my weight loss has come to a halt. I have not increased my food intake, I'm not using food as a substitute. I am very careful about my diet. Is this a side effect of quitting? Help!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Your body could be resetting itself... Give it a little time. You're on the right course.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

AlliH if I remember correctly you are very new to sobriety? Your body has to find a number of balances in both dieting and recovery from addiction, weight loss or gain won't happen until your body recalibrates itself. Eating well nutritionally and drinking lots of water are the best things to help weight loss.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Ask a doctor. In the mean time, decide which is more important. For me, it's a no-brainer.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
Ask a doctor. In the mean time, decide which is more important. For me, it's a no-brainer.
Not to be rude, but both things are important to me. I think it's irrational that you're telling me I need to decide between being healthy one way or being healthy another.

Being healthy is being healthy. I don't need to decide which is more important. I'm on a completely balanced diet plan in which I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of water. Should I decide to stop because it's important to me to stop drinking?
Old 05-29-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AlliH, I just checked back through your posts and you are very new to sobriety, don't worry about the weight loss for a couple of weeks -- really! You are going to be in so much flux for a while as your body settles down: electrolytes are rebuilding, as are enzymes and hormone levels, your body won't consider shedding weight until this is sorted. Keep going, you are on the right paths.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

What is your expectation on weight loss? I know that you just quit drinking recently and perhaps you just reached a plateau? I've been there. Weight loss is never consistent. What worked best for me was to just keep eating in the healthy manner that I was in order to see it as a lifestyle change. I only weigh every 30 days which forces me to stay on program.

It could be that you've just reached a plateau. Keep doing what you're doing and it should turn itself around. Have you been eating sweets or more than the norm?
Old 05-29-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks! I was just really wondering if it was a side effect of quitting or something else. Thanks guys!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nope, no extra sweets or anything. I'm on weight watchers, so I'm still adhering to the same amount of points. It's either a plateu or a side effect of quitting. I just didn't know if it could actually be a side effect, ya know?
Old 05-29-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Go off and have a good day Alli.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovered

I gained weight when I quit. I needed to prioritize sobriety as #1 or weight loss was going to be moot. I gave time time and almost five years later I am sober and a healthy weight.

For me, it's first things first. Otherwise I was beating my head against a wall.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlliH View Post
.. you're telling me I need to decide between being healthy one way or being healthy another.
Nope. That's not what I'm telling you. I'm telling you the same as others here. You won't have anything else you want if you don't get, and stay, sober first.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dSober View Post
Nope. That's not what I'm telling you. I'm telling you the same as others here. You won't have anything else you want if you don't get, and stay, sober first.
No, other people here are telling me it could be a side effect of stopping or your average diet plateau. You are telling me I need to decide what is more important, my diet or not drinking.

They are BOTH important. And not to mention, my diet is part of my encouragement to stop drinking. I don't need to get sober before continuing on with my diet. I have been on this diet long enough that it is not preventing me from getting sober. It is not a distraction, it is encouragement.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not to be rude, but both things are important to me. I think it's irrational that you're telling me I need to decide between being healthy one way or being healthy another.

Being healthy is being healthy. I don't need to decide which is more important. I'm on a completely balanced diet plan in which I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of water. Should I decide to stop because it's important to me to stop drinking?
dSober's comment isn't irrational. Prioritizing sobriety - making it THE most important focus of our lives is the key factor in maintaining sobriety for many of us. No one is suggesting that you go off of your eating plan, just that you may want to prioritize sobriety over weight loss for now.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm not suggesting you stop your diet AlliH. I'm suggesting you stop worrying about it. Worrying will cause you to drink.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That isn't how it's coming off to me, but thank you for the suggestion.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No, other people here are telling me it could be a side effect of stopping or your average diet plateau. You are telling me I need to decide what is more important, my diet or not drinking.

They are BOTH important. And not to mention, my diet is part of my encouragement to stop drinking. I don't need to get sober before continuing on with my diet. I have been on this diet long enough that it is not preventing me from getting sober. It is not a distraction, it is encouragement.
If weight gain is a side effect of sobriety, (not saying i believe this but if you do) what are you going to do?
Old 05-29-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That isn't how it's coming off to me, but thank you for the suggestion.
I think you're over-analyzing the comment from dSober. Whether or not you agree with the comment, he is trying to offer support, and he did clarify his comment when you misinterpreted it.

Anyway, I didn't read the whole thread, so this may have already been suggested - but are you exercising as well? If not, perhaps consider it as it will accelerate weight loss and will help significantly in your sober journey.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

A) I have not gained weight. That was not my question.
B) If weight gain were a side effect of sobriety I would assume it would be a temporary part of tw withdrawal process.

I came here to find out about other people's experiences. Is there another board I should be going to to do that? I didn't create this board for anybody's criticism or suggestion that I wasn't prioritizing my sobriety. Quite frankly, I take offense to that suggestion.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

... Quite frankly, I take offense to that suggestion.
A lot of people come in here with the same sensitivity. You'll get over it if you stay sober.