Notices

This is not right

Old 05-28-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is not right

I stopped drinking alcohol a little over a month ago. And I was ecstatic. So proud of myself. I couldn't wait to post my big 1 month sober post.

And then I realized, that was just the tip of the iceberg. Yes, I am sober from alcohol...but I am still taking benzos to cope with the withdrawals and smoking 1 1/2 packs a day. And I spending 1/3 of my day on Facebook...

So I'm not really sober, am I?

It's not a self pity post...mostly it's a seeking advice post.

I need motivation, reasons to quit my other addictions. I won't be 100% FREE is I still take benzos, smoke and waste time on dumb video games.

Dee, you said you quit it all at once. What was your motivation? Anybody else did it this way?

I am afraid that if I wait too long to tackle my other addictions I would lose the momentum. It's all or nothing right? Now or never. But the million dollar question is...why? What would motivate me to go through hell for the next 3 weeks to get rid of benzos, nicotine, and internet addiction?

Thank you for listening
Old 05-28-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am a smoker too and I have no intention of attempting to quit until I have a long term of sobriety under my belt. As for Facebook ... it was drinking activity so it went out with the booze. Did not want that association. Just my personal story Good luck Patricia
Old 05-28-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Benzo withdrawal can kill you.

Might want to deal with it now, instead of later.

Then worry about the nicotine and internet. Those are not gonna cause anywhere near the problems of booze and benzos.

Benzos are basically booze in a pill. If you traded one for the other, are you really sober?

Id say not really, no. But you're on the right track. Just have to take the plunge.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

before I truly considered myself sober I had to stop taking everything else that I was doing also except I still smoke occasional cigar

prescription pills just like the booze did not work for me

MM
Old 05-28-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Are the benzos prescribed by your dr for a medical issue? If so, why not talk to your dr and see if there is an otc option that would work for you.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I quit smoking and drinking at once, Patricia.
I never felt like I was addicted to cigarettes - I only smoked them when I drank.

I have no advice on benzoes - never taken them, but I think it's something to check with your Dr about.

Facebook...I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe limit your time each day - see how that goes?

D
Old 05-28-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wouldn't stop with the benzos if they were prescribed.
Tell your doctor you want to taper off those too.
As for smoking, some people need the nicotene, at least at first, to deal with lack of drinking.
I too spend too much time online, so I am looking for a job and calling up old friends who still talk to me.
If no ones free I'll sit in a coffee shop with a book so at least I'm getting out of the house.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I take a small amount of klonopin at night as I have suffered seizures in the past and they are prescribed by my neurologist. I take it exactly as I prescribed and I consider myself sober.

I can only speak for myself, but I have been feeling a lot better since I traded facebook and computer games for some exercise, like a long walk.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Are the benzos prescribed by your dr for a medical issue? If so, why not talk to your dr and see if there is an otc option that would work for you.
Yes she prescribed Lorazepam for anxiety...and Paxil...I rather eat a raw mouse that take Paxil again...
Old 05-28-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. I am trying to think of the best time to try and get rid of ALL my addictions. Maybe I'll spend a day or two reading posts and set my quit date for the weekend. Thank you so much for your help!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I take klonopin for my anxiety issues and I definitely consider myself sober. I take it exactly as my dr prescribed it.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That might be a lot to tackle at once. You might want to space all those things out and ween yourself off of each one little by little.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jason2 View Post
That might be a lot to tackle at once. You might want to space all those things out and ween yourself off of each one little by little.
You are right Jason, but I really want to be totally and completely 100% free of all these demons. Internet shouldn't be too hard to control. All I need to do is to delete all the dumb games and only check Facebook once a day...mostly in case my dad posts a picture or sends me a message.

The benzos are under doctors supervision. I can't abuse them or she won't prescribe me any more so i'll just have to be smart and use them ONLY during my first days of nicotine withdrawal.

The cigarettes are the hardest to quit. I'm just lacking the motivation. I smoked since 1986...I don't even remember how it feels to be a non smoker. But it's taking a toll on my health. I have body aches, lack of energy, colds that last 6 weeks, and I'm broke!

That's gonna be my first priority...if I can find a good motivation to endure a few weeks of pure hell
Old 05-28-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tackling two addictions at once
is too overwhelming. Though
some people have been
successful, I'm not one of them.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm with you. I still smoke and it's catching up with me. I figured first things first. I'm dreading quitting because I've never tried to stop and think it will be harder than the alcohol. If you are an AA person there is a paragraph in the big book in Alcoholic Number Three's personal story about first things first. You could check that out.

I have a klonopin prescription which my doctor prescribed when I quit drinking this last time. I rarely, if ever, take them. They were for the withdrawal. If you have been taking them daily though I would talk to your doctor about tapering off them if you want to quit.

Internet? I'm not a big Facebook person but I am addicted to coming here to SR.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I was in detox, I actually
craved nicotine more than I did
alcohol.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I take klonopin at night for a panic disorder I've had since age 9, half a milligram, once daily, as prescribed. I have no benzo abuse issues and it was never for withdrawal. I know people who are adamant that the use of benzos or any other mental illness medication means you aren't sober. I disagree, respectfully. These are things that should be dealt with on a medical level.

That said, it is unsurprising that many alcoholics also have addictive personalities. If you find yourself abusing your meds, talk to your doctor. As for other "coping mechanisms" I totally relate. Food is one of my favorites, Netflix is another. I just try to find positive ones - exercise, cooking, etc. Things to fill my time and improve myself and those around me. I'd much rather be "addicted" to something like that than something that is going to kill me.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I'd say you are sober, if the benzos are prescribed. If you were taking tablets for a heart condition you wouldn't just stop them. Before you take 'medical' advice from anyone on here, find out what med school they graduated from (probably none!).

Speak to your Dr. And well done on your sobriety!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

we always recommend that one follows doctors orders

Originally Posted by Try18 View Post

If you were taking tablets for a heart condition you wouldn't just stop them.
as I look back at my past and the past of many of my sober friends today
I see where I stroked doctors so as to get what I wanted
over the years I was prescribed by several different doctors
thousands and thousands of mind altering pills
the side effects of many were and are horrendous
plus
during my many attempts at sobriety
it seemed that these prescribed drugs in time brought me back to the drink

note
most of us know deep down inside what's right
sure -- here on site we always recommend that one follows doctors orders
but -- for me
I was persuading the doctors what and when to prescribe
exactly what I wanted
so as to assist with my high

this last time sobering up (6 years ago)
I asked of myself
what can I do different this time
stop taking the pills Bob
yes -- I finally found out what true sobriety was all about

this is what worked for me
total sobriety from all things
but
yes, I still take a baby aspirin a day for my heart and blood

common sense should prevail here (in most cases)
are these pills something I truly need to be talking ??
does my doctor say that I truly need to be taking these ??

maybe a good long talk with my doctor would be in order ???
hey doc do I really need to be taking these mind altering drugs ????

if so -- so be it -- but, if not needed -- Just Say No ------------------ thank you

Mountainman
Old 05-29-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
I was persuading the doctors what and when to prescribe
exactly what I wanted
so as to assist with my high
Sadly I've been doing the same. I tell them what they want to hear so they'll prescribe what I want to take.

It's how the system works. Doctors over prescribing mind altering drugs, patients manipulating Doctors, Big Pharma making billions...