Notices

Tapering for heavy drinker

Old 05-28-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Tapering for heavy drinker

Hey everyone, I'm not exactly new to sobriety but I guess The last 5 month binge has hurt me so bad physically that I'm very ready to give complete abstinence another try. Firstly though I have to get that first full day. I've chosen tapering over treatment for many reasons-not the least of which is money--but also because I really want to do it. I'm an around-the-clock drinker and recently as last week was killing a fifth along with up to four hurricane 2x4's a day starting at 6am. So last week I noticed that to drink made me very ill and yesterday It took 16 hours to do 5 beers-Each one with alot of nausea and not much improvement in the head change area. So my body is totally rejecting it. So I went 12 hours w/out and decided I will only have one when I get the shakes and sweats (8:30 this morning). So far, so good. Had some chest ache today but that has been going on for awhile. Am planning to have one more at 5 pm. Yes I'm irritable but am actually feeling much better than I thought I would. So it seems 4 units every 8 hrs. is working for me. In 2 days I'm going down to 3 (a 5.9%er) and then 2. I have been taking b12, b1, folic acid, potassium, C and zinc for the last month. I expect insomnia but have had it for 2 months with alcohol. My goal is 10 days max. Anyone out there had success with this or similar reduction methods? Feel free to let me know what you think. I'm gonna keep posting here.

Last edited by anattaboy; 05-28-2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: wanted to
Old 05-28-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

uh. Chest pain, alcohol rejection?

I would get to a doctor. Your recent level of intake makes it really dangerous to try to taper on your own.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried tapering a hundred times or more. It worked for a bit and then I was back where I started, or worse. Tapering is really hard for alcoholics and quitting for good is actually easier. Have you talked to your dr?
Old 05-28-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you are an alcoholic, moderation and
tapering attempts are only teasing that
grizzly bear. He is huge and he is
ferocious.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Get to a doctor my friend. Heart failure in alcoholic withdrawal is a very real risk.
Medical detox would be much safer.

Also, I would give AA a ring and ask for help, especially as you are feeling so unwell. We often help folks like yourself get through those first days.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If this is your plan then i support you.
I know sometimes it's not always possible to see a dr. and cold turkey is hard on the body.
I sincerely hope this is just a taper though.
Best of luck.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Some places in the world do recommend tapering, but even then only under a doctor's supervision or at least an initial visit to a doctor. The main problem is that even if you do successfully taper, you still have to quit at some point. And your body isn't going to like that one bit. The possible issues range anywhere from just being uncomfortable to death - literally by seizure, heart failure, stroke, etc.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Another vote for seeing the Dr.

Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous, sometimes even fatal.

By your post it really sounds like you could benefit from some medical supervision.

D
Old 05-28-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Deaths from unsupervised withdrawal are
not a myth, they are a fact.

You are to be applauded for your effort
to quit. Please do it under medical
supervision at a detox center.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Taper and moderate is not something I can do. You might want to rethink your position on seeing a doctor. People die detoxing alone. I hope what you are doing works for you. I was vomiting quite a bit from drinking in the end days, I just brushed my teeth, and drank some more (now that is so stupid). How in the world did you go to work?? Good luck.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can see a doctor for a safe way to detox from alcohol. Be safe.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

agree with all, please see a dr, chest pains are not to be taken lightly.

Best of luck
Old 05-28-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the thought-felt posts. I've done my homework on this and feel the standard benzo 3 day detox (all I can really afford as my 70/30 insurance is bad indeed) is just that. They might check bp and offer some IV b1 but other than that, only the minimum. If there are residual health problems following more than a week or two of good nutrition and supplements then yes I will have to go. I don't feel superhuman but..capable. I might fail but have failed before following medical detox, 14 yrs. in AA etc. but I thought drinking would be fun again--it was for awhile but very painful now. I did good today and stuck to my plan--just finished nursing a 4 unit beer for 2 hrs. Ate more today than the 3 days prior, took all my vitamins. My goal is total abstinence and I believe it's do-able. will be back tomorrow-thanks to all.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mornin folks! Sleep last night was sweaty and intermittent at best. Actually got up at 5:30 (my normal time and much better than 2am), made everyone breakfast (including me) drank some coffee (without vodka) and have yet to touch the one beer I have allocated for myself today. Was informed that I can't talk about HAMS so I won't--I'll just stick to my personal experience. Feeling good-need a shower..Peace
Old 05-29-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lack of sleep catching up with me. Am going to cut my evening beer to 3 units as the one I had 2 hrs. ago made me a little buzzed and I'm not with that anymore--just trying to reduce slowly to avoid that major jolt. Last time I did this was in 2010--a 4 day taper of high-grav beers--4-3-2-1 and then none ( I didn't even know it was called tapering back then I just did it). Stayed sober till nov 2013. Was also sober 8 yrs. from 89 to 97. Vicious cycle I know but much more typical than 25 to 40 yr. coinholders. Just my story. I'm also kinda manic when I'm sober but I channel it into doing things so I am productive. Looking forward to that again.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hope you're hanging in ok!!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Stay safe - I can't make any recommendations about your tapering, but I would hope/add that you should definitely let someone close to you know what's going on in case you need assistance. Each subsequent withdrawal can get progressively worse, so your last detox in 2010 may not be an exact indicator of what to expect.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree--'tis why I'm going a bit slower this time. I have a wife and 3 kids who are all in my corner on this btw. Appreciate your advice tho...thanks!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

TY just fed my 3 1/2 yr. old and getting ready to do some things around the house. Ate more today so that's a plus.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by reisingwood1 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm not exactly new to sobriety but I guess The last 5 month binge has hurt me so bad physically that I'm very ready to give complete abstinence another try. Firstly though I have to get that first full day. I've chosen tapering over treatment for many reasons-not the least of which is money--but also because I really want to do it. I'm an around-the-clock drinker and recently as last week was killing a fifth along with up to four hurricane 2x4's a day starting at 6am. So last week I noticed that to drink made me very ill and yesterday It took 16 hours to do 5 beers-Each one with alot of nausea and not much improvement in the head change area. So my body is totally rejecting it. So I went 12 hours w/out and decided I will only have one when I get the shakes and sweats (8:30 this morning). So far, so good. Had some chest ache today but that has been going on for awhile. Am planning to have one more at 5 pm. Yes I'm irritable but am actually feeling much better than I thought I would. So it seems 4 units every 8 hrs. is working for me. In 2 days I'm going down to 3 (a 5.9%er) and then 2. I have been taking b12, b1, folic acid, potassium, C and zinc for the last month. I expect insomnia but have had it for 2 months with alcohol. My goal is 10 days max. Anyone out there had success with this or similar reduction methods? Feel free to let me know what you think. I'm gonna keep posting here.

I tried tapering too my friend, just for me it doesn't work as I'm far too greedy with drink and cutting back is too hard for my self control. I simply had to quit, for me it's all or nothing.