Courage To Change: 05/28/14

Old 05-28-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change: 05/28/14

I have heard it said that the only valid comparisons are between myself as I am and myself as I used to be. When I think of Step Two and of being restored to sanity, such a comparison comes to mind. I remember an incident some twenty years ago in which I was riding my motorcycle to a meditation class. I was late and in a big hurry to arrive on time. Right outside the meeting place I crashed my bike. My attempt to force solutions, to rush to an encounter with serenity, had failed. Did I feel contrite? Not exactly. Even then, I felt the irony of rushing to meditation, but mainly I felt angry that the town had failed to maintain the road
on which I was riding. Rather than taking responsibility for my own haste and carelessness, I blamed others and saw myself as a victim. I did not feel thankful to have survived; I felt angry that I had been roughed up and thrown off schedule.

Today’s Reminder
Looking back, I see many examples of the grace of a Power greater than myself at work in my life. I see progress in being restored to sanity, and I am increasingly confident that my progress will continue.

“Our business in life is not to get ahead of other people,but to get ahead of ourselves.”
Maltbie D. Babcock
Old 05-28-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

That is a good reading about step two but I really think some balance should apply too. While it is true that the writer should have been grateful to have survived and see the irony of the situation, this does not absolve the City from its responsibility to maintain roads and fix potholes. One can be grateful to be alive and learn to be more careful and still file a petition, a grievance or address City Council so they make the road safe for the next biker.
My point is that while it is good to see our own part in a situation and have a spiritual attitude of gratitude, it does not mean we should be pushovers. Local government do mess up and we have a responsibility as constituents to call them on it.