Notices

morning of day 4

Old 05-27-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

morning of day 4

After yet another weekend of random bruises, lost memory and feeling ill, not to mention the guilt and shame, I decided along with chats with a very concerned husband and parents it was time to quit drinking. It's not been fun for a long time, more just a habit that helped me sleep during the week and devoured my weekends. Not had the withdrawal too bad as got some tramadol, just irritability, difficulty sleeping, nightmares and cold sweats.
Any advice on coping with the first week greatly appreciated.
Thanks and keep on with the good work not letting this poison continue ruining your life X X
Old 05-27-2014, 11:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you teapot! Exercise was key for me - helped me to feel tired in the evening, which in turn helped me to avoid the alcohol. Also kept lots of alternative drinks around the house - lots of teas, mineral water, juices.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for words of encouragement! Never been a great fan of exercise but helped me yesterday to keep going. Dog was shattered! Have a good day X
Old 05-28-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR teapotfan

D
Old 05-28-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Double post
Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teapotfan View Post
After yet another weekend of random bruises, lost memory and feeling ill, not to mention the guilt and shame, I decided along with chats with a very concerned husband and parents it was time to quit drinking. It's not been fun for a long time, more just a habit that helped me sleep during the week and devoured my weekends. Not had the withdrawal too bad as got some tramadol, just irritability, difficulty sleeping, nightmares and cold sweats. Any advice on coping with the first week greatly appreciated. Thanks and keep on with the good work not letting this poison continue ruining your life X X
Good luck teapotfan! I'm on day 10 and I can honestly say I feel great! I've been going to my spinning classes (through gritted teeth!!) and doing a lot of AA meetings. Just be good to yourself. I'm haven't been for a long time.

Well done for getting here.

Lx
Old 05-28-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello teapotfan and welcome to SR. Sounds like you're doing all the right things, but don't be afraid to seek medical advice if you become concerned about withdrawal.

Good to have you with us
Old 05-28-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Teapotfan, I think the first week is the hardest, Im on day 4 too and I can relate to your post as I lie here at 3:30 AM.

Just keep focused on the goal, I know how easy it is to get caught off gaurd.

Congrats on day 4!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all encouragement and to hear of your success and positivity in beating this.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep on going teapotfan, it does get better and better. The "itchiness" will pass before you know it.

I found exercise was a great help in small doses and slowly build up.

Lots of water and vitamins helped me, especially with appetite, which was non-existent. (hope this isn't "medical advice"?). And of course support from my wife and SR.

Keep strong and keep posting here, there's loads of great advice and support.

Bruce.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mary2

Well done... I was terrified at first anxiety through the roof. I slept 6 hours in 4 days. Just keep busy. Keep hydrated and try to eat stay strong.
Also a good bath some moisture cream etc... Do nice things xxxxx
Old 05-28-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Having a positive morning so far keeping busy. Trying to plan ahead to be doing something between 4 and 6pm, I call the danger time. Back to work next week so that will be a new challenge with the stress of that, along with my husband who is continuing to drink daily, but in moderation, so there is always alcohol in the house. Any suggestions what to do with that? I don't want to lay down the law and I keep saying it's ok, it doesn't bother me but when I am at a weak ebb, it just may tempt me.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by teapotfan View Post
Having a positive morning so far keeping busy. Trying to plan ahead to be doing something between 4 and 6pm, I call the danger time. Back to work next week so that will be a new challenge with the stress of that, along with my husband who is continuing to drink daily, but in moderation, so there is always alcohol in the house. Any suggestions what to do with that? I don't want to lay down the law and I keep saying it's ok, it doesn't bother me but when I am at a weak ebb, it just may tempt me.
Hi teapotfan, welcome to the board!

Staying busy and taking care of YOU in the beginning is essential. Also, making the choice unconditional so that when those temptations come calling it doesn't matter. There's no excuse or reason to drink. I went to the movies a lot and read a lot of books in the beginning.

Can you talk to your husband and ask that in support that of you to have no alcohol in the house? At least for the beginning. Or, if he is going to drink he should only purchase what he will be drinking for the evening and if there's any left get rid of it. It's also important to be honest with him. You're telling him it's ok which tells me that he has asked you about it. If something is not ok then tell him that. Ultimately, it's his decision what he does with the information that you give him but at this point you have to do whatever is necessary to protect you.

This all gets better, much better! Come here and post, post, post and read, read, read. You've come to a place where there's a lot of great people who know exactly what you're going through.

Happy that you found this place!
Old 05-28-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks ladyblue. I will speak to him more about it tonight, and you are right it is only me that can decide to pick up thatdrink. Have a great day X X
Old 05-28-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome teapotfan.

Be gentle and patient with yourself; it will get easier.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

welcome to the Forum!!