Notices

Quick question about listerine

Old 05-27-2014, 10:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick question about listerine

This question has been asked often, but in a different way and I just need quick verification. Pardon me if it gets asked often, and if this comes off as stupid. Is it considered relapsing if I use listerine as instructed, as mouthwash? I am not drinking it, I just use it as mouthwash and spit it out. I know it has alcohol in it. I am just making sure that it is safe to have in the house for a family member who is currently in AA. Thank you so much.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I have used it from time to time as a mouthwash. If I drank it, that would be a problem. If I accidentally ingested it, it could trigger the alcoholic craving.

So alcoholics can and do use it without problems, but there are risks.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are a lot of non alcohol mouthwashes.

If the alcoholic asks, would you be willing to switch?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

But using it as instructed is not considered relapsing? Washing your mouth, spitting it out, regarding craving disregarding accidental ingesting, just the use in itself.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Absolutely. That is not a problem, I was only asking out of curiosity.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would use another mouth wash.

I knew a guy in Chicago that
would drink Listerine when
booze wasn't available. He
would get sick but, he didn't
care at the time. I know
that is unbelievable.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im not asking about that. Im asking if using mouthwash as "prescribed" if you will, is considered a relapse. Not if he drinks it, I understand all of the drinking aspects of it, just the aspect of taking the mouthwash, swishing it around for 30 seconds, and spitting it out LOL
Old 05-27-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ezrubie and welcome

If you're asking on behalf of someone else why not buy a non alcoholic brand?
That way there'll be no need to ponder

D
Old 05-27-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ezrubie7 View Post
Is it considered relapsing if I use listerine as instructed, as mouthwash?

I am just making sure that it is safe to have in the house for a family member who is currently in AA.
It's not relapsing, but it is taking an unnecessary risk. Counting the cost of rehab and how long it took me to get back to work, alcoholism cost me over $100,000. Considering that some who relapse never make it back, this is potentially a life or death situation.

Why would you take a chance like that when a non-alcoholic option exists?
Old 05-28-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think this is different from person to person, I use the mothwash my wife picks up as directed and dont think much of it.

I heard of people drinking it, and if and hopfully when they get sober, they probably should never touch the alcohol type mouthwash again.

Just my take on it,
Old 05-28-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I always stick with alcohol free mouthwash. There is plenty available, and dentists say it is better for your mouth!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I've drunk Listerine before. It's awful. I've known people who have drunk vanilla extract. I've bought cooking wine (like the stuff near the olive oil and vinegar in the grocery store) and drunk that. You don't need an ID card and can buy it anytime, even when blue laws prohibit alcohol sales.

I would have alcohol free mouthwash around. I can't imagine swishing my mouth with alcohol. Your guest may feel like they'd be inconveniencing you by asking for something special. Best or err on the side of caution.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would say it isn't a relapse if you are using as directed and not drinking it. Listerine makes alcohol free mouthwash which I find I prefer anyway.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
totfit

I actually knew a guy that I went to treatment with and subsequently a half way house many years ago, that started drinking mouthwash. Several of us noticed that he always smelled strongly of mouth wash. We finally saw him on several occasions drinking it in his car. He bought it by the case. The guy was a really nice guy, great guy that would do anything for any one. I believe he honestly could not see that he was doing anything wrong. I think the denial was that strong. I mean if he were going to "drink" there are a lot better things. Unfortunately, I lost contact and do not know the rest of the story. I hope he got things figured out.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ezrubie7 View Post
Im not asking about that. Im asking if using mouthwash as "prescribed" if you will, is considered a relapse. Not if he drinks it, I understand all of the drinking aspects of it, just the aspect of taking the mouthwash, swishing it around for 30 seconds, and spitting it out LOL
No, it is not considered a relapse.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

as my sponsor - 26+ years sober - puts it;

"I can have alcohol in the house, I can pour it for my wife and guests, I can gargle it, cook with it, hell I can take a BATH in it if I really want to.... I just don't drink it."

I don't think everyone will agree with that perspective, but coming from him it has been helpful to me. Knowing that I'm not so at risk that I have to be wary of the slightest exposure to alcohol and fear it or whatever is empowering for me.

That may not work for everyone - but I think it's entirely possible to use listerine or take cough medecine when you're sick and not have it be an issue to your recovery.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Actually Target (if you're in the States) makes a great alcohol-free mouthwash. Listerine to me smells like rubbing alcohol, which thankfully keeps me from drinking it.