Notices

Really feeling depressed - withdrawal?

Old 05-27-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really feeling depressed - withdrawal?

On day 2 sober after about a 10 day bender where I did everything wrong once again - drove when I shouldn't have, wasnt all there at work, spent evening drunk and so on. Just finally couldn't do it after Sunday and stopped. Yesterday and seem to feel worse though - mentally that is. I feel so depressed and down. Can barely bring myself to find to enjoy anything, not even my 4yr old's antics. Have no desire to eat watch tv work anything.

So the question to all is,is this a common withdrawal symptom? I don't have any desire to drink but I'm feeling so low that I might as well so I can stop feeling this way. I won't actually drink but I'm feeling so depressed I just wanna lay around and cry.

I really hope it gets better else I'm not sure how much longer ill be able to keep myself from reaching for the bottle. Not sure whats the worse feeling.

Please tell me it'll get better. Thank you all.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It absolutely will get better. You're going to be uncomfortable for a few days, then there will be residual effects for months.

You've been poisoning yourself.

It gets lots better. The first week is the worst.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are actually feeling which you are not used to. MY guess is that you are feeling guilty for the bender and beating yourself up over it. That is not going to do any good and the guilt will make you think of numbing yourself. Jump out of the circle you keep finding yourself in. Let go of the guilt and push forward. If you think of drinking remember all this guilt and dont do it.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found I got more and more depressed by the end of my drinking career.
This is a pretty prominent red flag Mighty Flea.

If it's really impacting upon your life see your Dr.
If not, give it a little more days to lift - can can re-evaluate then.

I want to add I've rarely had a recurrence of my depression in the last 7 years sober. I can literally count the days on one hand.
D
Old 05-27-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really hope you're all right. I can live with all the weird aches and pains that being sober brings but the mental pain of the depression I've been feeling the last two days feels unbearable. I will take it one day at a time which is all I can do and hope for the best. This really sucks though.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This really sucks though.

But if you never drink again, you never have to go thru again.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a similar binge recently and depression was a symptom of my withdrawal. It lasted a few days. Best to see your doctor as soon as you feel fit enough to. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Depression is one of the effects.
I am far from out of the woods.
But it is much better than being
drunk around the clock.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Yes this is quite common and I also experienced it. I was up and down in the first few months. Not everyday, but it would come and go.

It is also important to note that when I gave up my booze, I felt like I lost my best friend and didn't know how I would function. Some people actually do go thru a grieving process when they quit drinking and I definitely did. Do a search on here for the grieving process just to give yourself a heads up on the different cycles you might find yourself in.

It honestly does get better over time, you won't feel like this forever.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Depression is a common effect. My first month I did little more than go to work and read SR. I have found with each passing week that I spend less time depressed, and more time engaged in life. I drank a lot, for a long time, and so long as it continues to improve each week, it seems that the years of poisoning my system are to blame.

As someone stated upthread, if you never drink again, you'll never have to feel this way again. Keep at it!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Flea I'm sorry you are depressed. Blessings.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Flea, I've never felt lower in my life than the first few days after a long bender (which always was part of a long continuum of daily drinking). It's agony, I know. So sorry and sending you good wishes. I think everybody's right, the godawful weight will lift and the clouds will part if you can keep the plug in the jug through all this. But don't be afraid to go to a doctor for help if you feel things truly getting on top of you. Hold fast, there are better days ahead.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oooohhh yeah!!! Felt super crappy on every level!!! Just think you are one day closer to feeling better!!!!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry that you are feeling depressed. I was depressed in the beginning. I had no interest in television or reading. "What's the point?" I could barely get up in the morning or take a shower or get dressed. I had to make myself do it. My kids drove me absolutely up the wall and I alternated between feeling like crying or throttling them.

My kids are still here, unscathed, to plague me and I'm not crying anymore. I sometimes read. I found I really don't have much interest in television anymore. And most days I have a brighter outlook. I still get low at times, or feel blah, but it far more manageable. It took a bit of time. Two days is still new. If it doesn't improve in a few days or gets worse I would see your doctor. In the meantime, it helped me get through it by telling myself that it would pass. Hang in there. As terrible as it feels, it still beats drinking.