Notices

Hour 1 day 1

Old 05-26-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hour 1 day 1

Awoke at 2-35 this morning. My drinking is awful. I lost my best mate to pancreatic cancer in December he was also a big drinker, he was only 53 and was subject to some deep inside depression nobody knew about until after he passed. I have for the last 6 months drank everyday until I fall asleep in the chair. My house is a mess as is my garden and I have decided that at 0240 this morning. No more. I have of course done this before and always relapsed and did a sponsored go sober for a month in October last year, which was quite easy but at 0001 on November 1st I opened a beer of course. This time however I have to stay off for good. I have recently been diagnosed diabetic and am overweight. This is the first time though I have used a forum like this. So here goes to day one, however it will be interesting to see how bad the cravings are when I finish work tonight.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Locoman.

Stay strong and positive. It will get better, that's guaranteed !

There's some great experience and support here to draw on. Lean on us when you need it.

How about joining the Class of May?

All the best,

Bruce.
  # 3 (permalink)  

Greetings Locoman. I am very sorry to hear about your friend.

Read around this site a bit this evening at your normal drinking time. Lots of great stuff to get you thinking. Good luck.
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Locoman, welcome to sr, lots of help and support here from people with similar situations as you.

It's helped me enormously having this site to lean on.

One day at a time, when I had cravings I ate ice cream, chocolate just to rake the edge off. It worked for me.

All the best.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome x
Old 05-27-2014, 12:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR locoman. Those first few days sure are tough but you don't ever have to feel like this again.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Locoman

You'll find a lot fo support and good ideas here

Like Bruce said, why not check out our Class of May support thread as a start?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-3-a-2.html

D
Old 05-27-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! it all begins with an Hour 1!!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A very warm welcome from down south, Locoman I'm so sorry about your mate

If you've done a month before, then you can do it again (and for much longer). This site is great for support. We understand and we're all rooting for you : Here's to the new life that awaits xx
Old 05-27-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I have just finished work and got home. I poured what booze I had in the house down the sink this morning because I felt so awful. Don't feel too bad at present. Problems will come when I can't sleep tonight. Anybody else have the fear of not sleeping because they haven't had a drink and does anyone have a tip for overcoming that. The thinking I have is if I have a drink I will feel bad in the morning but will not be tired, If I don't have a drink and don't sleep I will feel worse than not having a drink and getting some sleep.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm on day 3 myself, and I don't have much advice about the sleeping, since I'm still working on that myself. I do know that each day sober makes me feel better--physically and about myself also.

You're doing the right thing.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I absolutely have to exercise for at least 30 minutes during the day to sleep. Otherwise I have a restless night. I enjoy running with a local running club and riding my bike to work when the weather permits. Welcome and best of luck with your recovery!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Slept ok. 25 hours down, rest of my life to go. Doesn't sound easy when you put it like that. One day at a time. First goal is to get to bedtime Sunday night dry.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome Loco. I'm still struggling with this too, but wanted to add my support. Take the time to read the various sections, from the "how I got sober" stories to the other testimonials and struggles. Mentally it really helps to see just how common (and destructive) our affliction is. And that others have beaten it.

Drinking, even with "friends" is really a lonely affair, yet somehow this faceless forum provides more human contact and support than you could imagine. Start working some kind of program though, whatever flavor suits you. I'm starting to realize that putting down the drink is only a step--and an insufficient one at that, albeit necessary. There has to be an attitudinal adjustment as well (whether spiritual awakening, new view on life, whatever). Seems like you've made that first step. Be wary of withdrawal symptoms, and remember that you only have to avoid that first drink and only one day at a time. Seems less daunting that way.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Failed.
Had a really bad day at work yesterday. 13 hours out of the house, loss of major contract, was driving back up the motorway at 7 pm last night and decided I couldn't be bothered to cook. Ordered take away. What is next to the take away shop but a booze shop so bought a bottle of red and some cans. Eat kebab, drank then fell asleep in the chair. Now I really regret it. Although having read one bit on a thread it mentions HALT. Hungry, angry, lonely and tired, I was all four last night.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lesson learned Loco ... hop back up on this wagon with us!