Notices

Trash your stash!

Old 05-26-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Trash your stash!

I had been told deleting all phone numbers of using "friends" was as important as dumping the alcohol down the sink and flushing the weed down the toilet. I balked at that suggestion. I thought if I did that I'd have no contacts in my phone at all or some other excuse. In the 7 weeks since I last made an appearance at The Bar not one of those people has texted or called to find out where I've been or why I haven't been around to party with them. I even had names of people I met during blackouts and never saw again. I could finally see how the seemingly innocent act of reading those names was dangerous to my recovery. After how many relapses I can't even count, I finally did it. Last night I blocked all their numbers and then deleted every single person in my contact list that was part of my using life.

Now the only people in my phone are family, co-workers I trust with my sobriety, and recovery buddies. Time to make some true friends. Now when I scroll through my contact list I only see the names of people I love and care about. Instead of feeling regret over it I actually feel amazing! I should have done that sooner, but I guess I wasn't ready.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The important thing is it's done

Good for you bookmaven
D
Old 05-26-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Now I have to do the same with my Facebook account. How? One name at a time I guess. This could take days.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bookmaven View Post
Now I have to do the same with my Facebook account. How? One name at a time I guess. This could take days.
It might not be for you but I'm really thinking about deleting facebook in my recovery.Just a suggestion although you may have friends to could turn to.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I kicked meth over tens years ago I found the only way I could do it was by changing my friends. It's ironic really that I filled the void with alcohol.

Bookmaven rather than deleting your FB friend could it be an option just to not use you FB account for the forceable future?
I know I've never bothered with a FB account because I find it depressing looking at the fun everyone else is having. It makes me fell like I'm missing out on fun even though I have fun things going on in my own life.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just finished unfriending and/or blocking anyone in my Facebook friend list that I knew through drinking. There may be more that need to go, but it's a start anyway.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I tried not visiting Facebook and left all those people on there for about 3 years, but it didn't work. I'm ready to let go of those people who remind me of a time in my life that was completely out of control, unmanageable. Now I can be free to look at FB whenever I want.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good on you, what ever helps. I'm sure it can only be a good thing in your recovery.