Notices

Perspective

Old 05-25-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Perspective

Something that we all hold within us is our ability to decide what angle we use to look at situations. I believe our perspective shifts constantly. There are times in early sobriety that I think we all focus on what we can't have, rather than how many options sobriety brings us.

I was reading the paper today. On one page there was an article about the devastating tragedy in California where 7 young people lost their lives because of a young man who went on a shooting rampage. He left videos stating the reasons for his "retribution", sitting in his BMW, on the college campus he attended in a beautiful part of the world. His videos were focused on all the slights he felt the world had dealt him, the ways he had been shortchanged.

On the next page was the picture of a 9 year old boy, disabled, lying tethered on his back to a bus stop in the blazing sun in ******. He was left there during the day by his grandmother who was his caregiver. She sold flowers by the side of the road, they were homeless. What this young man would have given to have the ability to walk, to sit in an expensive car, to attend school.

The first young man who committed the murders likely had serious mental issues. However, seeing this glaring comparison between someone who had so much but was focusing on what they couldn't have, and someone who had no options, was a powerful image to me.

Yeah, alcoholism is a drag, but how lucky am I that I can heal myself. In light of that devastating picture of the young man in India, how can I ever feel as if I was dealt a rough hand.

When I see an image like that it takes away any sense of feeling sorry for myself because I can't partake in an alcoholic drink on a holiday weekend. Instead I will think about that young man in India, who doesn't have choices, and can't heal his situation.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting post ?Jaynie. I hope you are enjoying the weekend. When I was active I rationalized how I was not as bad as...

This kept me active for longer than I wanted. In terms of harboring resentments, I personally find AA's 4th step wonderful to identify, release and understand your role in those resentments. Imagine if that kid had done this? How many lives would be spared this weekend...not just the ones who were slain.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Perspective and attitude. Two important things for recovery.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post Jaynie - it's so important to keep those types of images in my mind if the urge to drink arises.Thanks.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Awesome post!!!!!

I had to edit this to say that after reading it and thinking of how I lamented a bit in the beginning about how I couldn't drink anymore I can't help but feel a little ashamed. Way to put the reality in woe is me!

Excellent post.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Jaynie - maybe a different, an unexpected perspective. I'll be blunt. First off, let me express how I appreciate your contributions to this community.

Next, this has worked for me many times:
Suede - Everything Will Flow (Music Video) - YouTube

Crazy at it may sound/seem
Old 05-25-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awsome post, thanks for sharing.