Notices

i need support to keep sober

Old 05-25-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i need support to keep sober

Im new to this support group. I just moved to new jersey three months ago, im from puerto rico. I recently got a One week suspensión from work for drinking. I need advice on how to overcome the urge to have a drink after a stressfull day
Old 05-25-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

there are different ways davidcastro-this site is a big help as you will find a lot of support and encouragement here. there is also AA, which helps because you will meet others with the same problem as you and you will learn how to resist the temptation to drink. I just hang out reading these posts-it helps me keep on track. It also depends on how much you drank and for how long-do you need medical help to detox? that is nothing to fool around with and you may need to see a doctor for help with that. however you do it, congratulations on your decision to stop drinking.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welcome to SR davidC. As happyAfree said thee are a few ways to go about it. This site has a few areas you can read and people here are great.

When I first got here reading ...posting... And interacting with others is what helped me most. It was nearly impossible to read such a big site so while there are resources sharing your story and making some friends will hopefully help!

Glad you are here... Ken
Old 05-25-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One idea is: When you have that urge to have that drink, sidetrack it by doing something completely different in its place. I did a lot of weightlifting and running in the early days, but even just going out for a long walk would put you in a spot where you're not having that drink and reinforcing that pattern.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can find healthy ways to deal with a stressful day at work or any of life's ups and downs.

How about going to the gym, going for a walk, listening to music, calling a friend, eating ice cream? Whatever works for you.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by davidcastro View Post
Im new to this support group. I just moved to new jersey three months ago, im from puerto rico. I recently got a One week suspensión from work for drinking. I need advice on how to overcome the urge to have a drink after a stressfull day

Hi davidcastro, welcome to SR.

Overcoming the urge is always the million dollar question for us I suppose and we all can handle urges in very different ways, there truly is no right or wrong way to do this, some will automatically suggest AA- it's maybe for you or it's maybe not and as long as you reach your end goal of sobietry then how you achieve that is of minimal importance.
I chose to be my own mentor and guide, I'm not saying I would never consider AA but while I can control my own destiny then I'm quite happy to continue on my path. So like many say
Exercise
Sleeping well
Eating well

All these things help keep a balanced and healthy body and mind.

Well done on making a fantastic life choice. Proud of you.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your rapid Responses. How do any of you suggest I could get a sponsor to help me.out online since I tavel a lot?
Old 05-25-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support here. And you can always come here while traveling, to help keep you on the right path to recovery. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Having checked out the facts and decided that you are alcoholic, the next thing to do is select your method of recovery. A lot dont have sponsors, just a self help book or a healthy living regime.

But if you have decided you will need more that that, the next thing, ideally, is to call the AA help line and ask someone to come see you, so you can find out, one to one, what AA is about.

If you can't get to see someone then the next thing is to go to a few meetings and listen for the similarties, not so much about the things they did, but the way they drank and they way they felt.

If you still want to pursue AA recovery, look for someone in the room who has taken the steps and seems to have recovered, and whose life style you like, someone who has what you want. Then ask them to sponsor you.

A sponsors job is to take you through the steps. This isn't done at meetings, it's done one to one, over the phone, working on parts alone, all at conventient times. It is important, however to attend some meetings, at least one meeting a week (home group) and perhaps others as time permits. It will not interfere with you job. I have seen plenty of people recover in this way.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi David

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

You will, of course, find a lot of support here. SR is how I got sober

D
Old 05-27-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

sponsor online

Since I travel almost every week for my job i am interested in finding a sponsor who can support me online. Anybody knows how this would worok?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Any method you can incorporate is good.

You could try posting a thread, "Looking for an online Sponsor" in the 12Step forum, if that is the road you want to try to pursue.

Even if you travel, you can get a sponsor in your home town. There are many roads to sobriety, and you don't have to pick one way or another. You are not the only person who travels, so I'm sure there is someone in your town who would be willing to do one-on-one sponsoring while accommodating your travel schedule.