Notices

Day 1.... Got to change things

Old 05-25-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1.... Got to change things

Good morning.

I had a rather embarrassing evening last night which was fairly public. I just woke up today and realized I don't want to do this anymore, not at all. I'm always tired and I never have any energy. I spend half my life hungover it seems.

This is a challenge, since everyone else in the household drinks, but I just need to focus on doing other things, picking up a hobby, maybe exercising.

I'm hoping this community is a place where I can find support and eventually give some myself. At least a place to check in nod get advice.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Sobertaurus! It's great to have you join us, and you certainly will find the support you're looking for.

I felt the same when I finally gave it up. I was exhausted from trying to control my drinking - it wasn't even fun anymore & was causing chaos in my life. Being here at SR I found friends who really understood what I was going through. I gathered up the courage to change my life, and you can too. Congratulations for making this important decision.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Sobertaurus- You will see that everyone here is SO SO nice. I stopped drinking on St. Paricks Day. Ironic huh?

Sometimes embarrassment is a good thing, it puts us on the right track

You will find support here and in time feel confident enough to give some of your knowledge to others.

I've grown to love SR, and I am sure you will too!

Look forward to a bright and Alcohol-free day! Deeker will invite you to the 24hour forum, it's pretty neat. You just post every morning letting everyone know you are not
going to drink for the day
Old 05-25-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, Sobertaurus You've made a great decision in joining here. It's good to have you on board :
Old 05-25-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a very friendly and supportive site. I hope we can help you stop drinking for good. You are not alone in this.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! I just joined and am on day 5 and have made it this far by reading the posts from others on this website everyday to keep me motivated. It's so helpful to have a support group from all over the world.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I spent half my life either hungover or drunk. And that is the truth. When I think of the time I lost, it makes me very sad. So I know how you feel. Embarrassment was the least of my worries. All I worried about was my next drink and whether I would survive the day after. The fear, remorse and anxiety were overwhelming.
You don't have to live like that and I sincerely hope you can stop before you go through the nightmarish life I did.
You'll find lots of support here. And there are in person support groups, like AA, that many find helpful.

Best to you and hope to hear more from you.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the warm welcome. It actually brought tears to my eyes! It feels so good to talk to people who understand. I feel less ashamed and I feel like I can learn from other people who have been here and move on with their lives.

Normally on a weekend I would start drinking by now (noonish), but instead I'm trying to rehydrate instead. I'm going to see if I can find some juice.

I'll try a he stop in throughout the day. Even one day under my belt will make me feel like I'm getting somewhere.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Exercise is a great way to keep yourself occupied . You will find lots of support here everyone starts at day 1
Old 05-25-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Sobertaurus, SR is a great place for support and advice. Glad you have joined us.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Sobertaurus,

I think many of us have embarrassed ourselves plenty and hit a rock so to speak that made us realize enough is enough. Reading through the posts on this sight, and gaining insight from others has helped me collect 13 beautiful days of sobriety. The first few days were the toughest for me and I still struggle a bit but it's well worth it. Rehydrating and not drinking today sounds like a good start
Old 05-25-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard sobertaurus

D