Notices

Red Bull Energy Drinks - Ok or not?

Old 05-25-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Red Bull Energy Drinks - Ok or not?

Hi my name is Joy and I'm new to Sober Recovery. I have been in a rehab centre for a 2 months and now home for nearly 2 months, but I am drinking quite a lot of redbull. At the rehab centre I went to energy drinks were a big no no and I was wondering what other peoples opinions and experiences were regarding this?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Joy I see no issue with them unless your DOC was a vodka redbull or any other drinks with the energy drink as your mixer, then that could be a trigger.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No i've always drunk redbull as a substitute really. Its definately not a trigger.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Joy. Did they state why they are a no no at the rehab centre?

I found stimulants, such as coffee were all wrong for me when I got sober. I finally figured out the "down" from the coffee buzz must have been mimicking a hangover in my system, because I'd get huge alcohol urges.

I'm ok with coffee now in small doses. But early recovery, when my body was healing, no.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just watch that your not becoming addicted to sugar, I know a couple of people who did after giving up booze and drugs. They say giving up sugar is/was just as hard for them.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ahhhh red bull
I used to drink as my wake up juice for those hung over
Work days ... ( every work day) the fizzyness ( great word)
And I liked the taste... I'd pound a couple before lunch rush
It was free for me!!! I did a google search on it one day
And just didn't like what I found!!

I want to be sober and healthy and red bull isn't part
Of that equation.

Red Bull Drink = Slow Death?

Last edited by Skotyb; 05-25-2014 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 05-25-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think they were worried about cross addiction. But im not sure why thats really a bad thing, im not craving or even thinking about drinking?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Joy

I had some periods in my life (long time ago) when I was using different kinds of legal stimulants - Red Bull was one, for a while. Others were diet pills, not with the intention of losing weight but I liked the effect - nothing like a stronger psychostimulant (I tend to react badly to those) but still uppers. I found myself starting to abuse each of these after a few weeks and then they gave me weird scary symptoms (mostly anxiety, I think) so stopped each time and never even thought about using any other stimulant than coffee for a long time, which I never had problems with.

I think it's like everything: if you find yourself drinking Red Bull to excess and experience negative effects, I would stop. If not, maybe not a problem for you. I do agree with Croissant though about these substances putting us in a limbo between stimulation and crashes. Sugar does that, too.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I personally avoid that kind of stuff like the plague. I have also given up drinking soda.

For me recovery is more than just quitting the booze. It is seeking a healthier lifestyle in every way. Physical activity and exercise, a sensible diet, and natural substitutes for drugs.

I love my tea and I drink a strong cup of Irish Breakfast, with raw honey, every morning. In the evenings I enjoy a cup of chamomile tea, which is good for relaxing, sleep, anxiety issues. It has numerous other health benefits as well.

I guess I am getting off track. Everyone has their own paths to recovery, and I only know what is effective for me.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I have an energy drink on Tuesdays when I start my day at 4 am and finish it late. It's my middle of the day pick me up. I d advise you to drink it in moderation though because they are very hard on the stomach lining and if you drink too many too often they stop working.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

When I was in rehab they were banned. The way I see it is they must have had good reason for that. The odd one is ok but excessively they're not good for you, as folk above have said.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A little won't hurt. But a lot is bad news.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Honestly I don't think red bulls are bad to have every now and then. They are terrible for you though. I quit drinking them along with energy shots as I found myself...wait for it...addicted to them! I would drink several a day! I've noticed they contributed to my overall anxiety and since quitting them a couple months ago i feel much better!
Old 05-25-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

Energy drinks are absolutely horrible for your health. I went through a phase of drinking a whole load of them (good old addictive personality) when I was working early shift and it's just bad news.

There's certainly WORSE things you could be doing, but stay away IMO.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I drink Rockstars here and there.. I'm guessing as long as you aint drinking several a day its ok. Better than alcohol is how I look at it.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AlmA

I do not drink it any more...
It speeds up my heart rate big time and gives me insomnia.
I would not advice it to any one, let alone in recovery!!!
I have it clear!

Please drink something healthier
Old 05-25-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think i know in myself that im drinking way too many, i know they are unhealthy and as someone who suffers from anxiety its not the best thing for me to be drinking. I think im becoming addicted and thinking honestly im displaying the same behaviour as i did with alcohol. I think its time to stop fooling myself and knock it on the head! Thank you all for your comments i think i just needed to see it in black and white x
Old 05-25-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't drink energy drinks, but I do enjoy coffee. Usually one cup in the morning and another mid afternoon. Black coffee has no sugar or any of the other artificial crap found in energy drinks.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Joy - I'm trying to avoid addictive substances e.g. caffeine and sugar - as others have said they tend to cause highs and lows. That is not to say I've completely abstained but I'm having far less than I was. I make a big pot of herbal tea in the morning - if I'm going to work I put it in a thermos and take it with me. Someone told me about a blend of cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds (equal parts of each) - it's really refreshing.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome to the forum Joy1975,

About those energy drinks:

A friend of mine made a habit to drink before workout and then after while working. After a while she started getting pretty bad heartburn. I think that the drinks are especially bad if a person is not eating enough solid food or drinking them in place of a real nutrient filled food.

Enjoy being here!

p.s. - I heard a great radio interview with the CEO/founder of Red Bull...it was very interesting. Two points that I remember are that he intentionally wanted the drink to 'taste bad' and 'be expensive'...decisions based on the inner workings of the human psyche and those attracted to extremes (extreme sports).