Notices

I relapsed again yesterday... =(

Old 05-25-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I relapsed again yesterday... =(

Hi i have realized I have been binge drinking for a while... I stopped drinking on my birthday on april. Last friday couldn't go to work because of a cold and started drinking again. I just put the alcohol down the sink. Today starting from scratch again...
Old 05-25-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mary2

I'm a binger too I went from last Wednesday till thur 7 pm. I've had 3 days of hell but I'm so happy to be sober... Don't get down get positive and stick with it this time... I'm going to xxxxx
Old 05-25-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, catalaninboston

Today is Day One. Keep it going.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!

Lots of great support and information on this site. Don't be a stranger. You can beat this!
Old 05-25-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

You made a good decision to have another go. Getting the life you want is not over beacuse of a bad decision.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nmd

Good job pouring it out so quickly. Don't get to fixated on counting days, staying sober since April is awesome, just keep it up!
Old 05-25-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR catalaninboston

D
Old 05-25-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick replies!!! I am hopeful for the day, one day at the time...
Old 05-25-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try not to beat yourself over it. We tend to be brutal on ourselves but this only kills our will to stop further.

My thoughts are with you
Old 05-25-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's how I started the day, feeling very guilty... Now I am trying to focus on day 1 and truing to feel positive about... Thanks
Old 05-25-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, catalinboston; this is a great place for information, support and understanding. The people on this site are incredible. Glad you found SR.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So yesterday I drank again... grrrr... I got very angry at work and once home I drank... back to day 1 today again... Hope I can hold longer this time...
Old 05-28-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Anger and resentment are deadly for alcoholics...I hope you can learn to forgive and let go of anger and resentment.

Try this for learning to overcome resentment.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Once I got to work, I apologized to the person I got angry yesterday... we hugged... now I feel better... But still terrified to go home tonight...
Old 05-28-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Hang in there Catalan. Good thing is that if you are posting in here both hands are being kept busy.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ive had many day ones girl. Im on my number...eh...but im sober 4 days now. We can do this!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I've had so many false starts I lost count. But I'm on my second week. Hang in there! Don't feel bad, you're not alone.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Your post made me think of the contradictions in thought from the euphoria of drinking to the despair of drinking.

To go from the state of mind of purchase of alcohol and happiness to drink it to the sickness, truth and dumping down the drain.

The delusion that we can safely purchase and consume alcohol ensnares us and then we have the inevitable consequences.

This is the baffling nature of alcoholism.

We learned we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholic.

What does that mean?

That means we understand what it means to be alcoholic. We know we have an obsession to keep drinking and a physical reaction that will ensure that we destroy ourselves as well.

We must be convinced that we will get burned and keep from putting our hand on the stove.

Would we put our hand on a hot stove? No. Absolutely not. No one could make us put our hand on a hot burner and hold it there.

Yet, we drink, and we know it will burn us. Not instantly, but soon.

When I drink, I drink too much always. When I drink, I get sick always. When I drink, I get drunk always. Why would I drink?

Delusion

I like the effects produced by alcohol...the good ones...and can ignore the bad ones for that initial payoff.

Until I concede, and realize that with my own hand, I am killing myself.

It's an awful place to be and we have to be there in order to change.

You never have to take another drink. Find your truth, and take steps each day to keep your mind close to the truth and wrong motives.

"MOST OF US have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

We alcoholics are men and women who have lost the ability to control our drinking. We know that no real alcoholic ever recovers control. All of us felt at times that we were regaining control, but such intervals--usually brief--were inevitably followed by still less control, which led in time to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization. We are convinced to a man that alcoholics of our type are in the grip of a progressive illness. Over any considerable period we get worse, never better."

More About Alcoholism, Chapter 3, Alcoholics Anonymous
http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/
Old 05-28-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Catalan - Getting home at night, after a long day of work, was very hard for me in the early days (and it still is! though less so). A method I relied on heavily in responding to impulses was to take my mind back to the nightmare that lead me to Day 1 in the first place. If you can visualize why you want to stop, and feel that pain that alcohol brought to you, maybe that will keep you from drinking. In fact it might even make you happy -- I'm glad that I never have to go through again what brought me here, because I will never drink again.