Notices

Why am i not tired

Old 05-25-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mary2

Why am i not tired

The insomnia is back. Worked last night... Managed 6 hours sleep yesterday morning... Broken but sleep none the less. I was exhausted in work now I'm home my mind is racing
Guilt mainly. Back in work tonight 11 hour shift. I will be a maniac tomorrow. My son is back at 1 pm so I wanted to get 3 hours in... Maybe I'm pressuring myself to sleep. Sorry I'm rambling now.
Hope all you lot are sober and well xxx
Old 05-25-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey.
On what day are you? In my many day 1 and 2 i coudn't sleep at all, and in the first 2 weeks i was a walking zombie, with 4 or less hours of sleep.
It all got much better on week 3 though, and after a month i was sleeping like i never did.

Not a medical advice, but for me Melatonin worked like a charm, especially in the beggining when hormones are very imbalanced.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Guilt is toxic for alcoholics, IMO. Try to get your mind focused on something positive, like that you are making a huge change for the better! The racing brain gets much better too. Hang in there.

Sleep is all over the place for the first month at least. Just go with it, it will even out.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mary2

What's melatonin? I'm only day 3... I've a long road xxx
Old 05-25-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mary2

Yes it is toxic.. I drink to block the guilt which drink caused in the first place... Go figure??? Xxx
Old 05-25-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hez, whatever you are feeling guilty about, try to resolve it in your head. I had to accept that I was a bad actor, but not a bad person. My drinking enabled me to do things I would never do sober, and then I would feel bad about myself and drink to forget/shut up the brain.

I can't unring the bell. What I can do is look at my actions in the light of my alcoholism and try to make amends where I can. Most people are willing to forgive if I indeed do change. If they don't forgive, then I've still made a great change for myself.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Technically is a Hormone. It promotes sleep. Is generated automatically in the brain when is dark and is suppresed by light. (That's why you should allways try to make dark when you want to sleep, no TV, computer, etc.)
Depending on where you live, it wouldn't require a prescription to get it. It's nothing like benzos, it's not inducing an artificial sleep, instead it promotes your own natural sleep.
Careful with it, not to take it too long, or your body will not produce it anymore. But i found it very useful in my early weeks.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Personally I did not like melatonin. It gave me super graphic scary nightmares. nonononono...never again.

I settled on SleepyTime Wellness tea (with Valerian) and hot chocolate. And an occasional 2:00AM session here on SR, supplemented by toast and milk.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mary2

Thank you again for the input all... I'm gonna get out this bed it's pointless ... My wee sons back soon no doubt I will shattered as soon as he here xxx
Old 05-25-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Insomnia is very tricky and I do believe that if you put any pressure on yourself to sleep, it will backfire. That's usually what happens to me. But, it's very hard to 'let it go' and sleep or not without worrying about how you will manage to get through the day. I hope you get some rest.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mary2

Thank you Anna x