Notices

Going to a wedding next weekend...

Old 05-23-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to a wedding next weekend...

So I've got a solid 9 days now...by this time next week I WILL have another 7 which WILL bring me to 16.

But...next Saturday I've committed to go to a wedding with my long time girlfriend...one of her old friends is getting married. And of course booze will be served at this. We've also got a hotel room booked for the night. Just thinking forward now...I'm staying confident that it will go smoothly. My GF is very proud of my reboot of staying off the booze. So support from her isn't a problem.

I'm going to focus on drinking ginger ale...with ice. A Lot of it if I have too.

Not sure what I'm looking for by posting this...anyone have any insights or suggestions about this? I know I would NEVER forgive myself if I started drinking again at this...I have a prior wedding where I made a fool of myself...once is enough for that.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Findingtheway, it's good you've decided on a drink of your choice, it's what I do. We went to inlaws anniversary and I had tonic water all evening and surprisingly there was several people not drinking. Mums, drivers etc.

If there's a toast to the happy couple you can go through the motions of holding the glass up for cheers but not drinking, it gets easier once you've decided you're not going to drink that day.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a wedding to attend next saturday as well. Going by myself...but fortunately my drinking problem is no secret to just about everyone I know now...ugg slightly embarrassing. I'm going to stick it out for the wedding but probably skip the after party as I'm afraid it will be a trigger for me this early on in my sobriety (11 days) It's good that you'll have your girlfriend there to support you..
Old 05-23-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Findingtheway,

Give yourself breaks. Get some fresh air outside.

Drink plain soda water as well with a garnish of choice. Too much sugar might make you jumpy or crash with all the stimulation.

If you ever feel uncomfortable, make sure you have given yourself permission to go take a breather. It is OK.

Drink tons of water the day before in preparation for the standing around, possibly sweating and talking more than usual. And on that vein, make sure you have eaten before the ceremony.

Try to have realistic expectations for yourself. There is no reason to break your sobriety at this event. Nothing is important enough.

Great that your GF is supportive. Make sure you are both on the same page ahead of time. No unnecessary squabbles

Plan to dance a lot. Plan to have some sober fun!