Notices

I don't trust me

Old 05-23-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

I don't trust me

I've been having thoughts, not intentionally, they've been there for a while.

It's all to do with being a year sober, which is in July.

A few years ago I went to slimming world, I wanted to stop drinking, I prayed I never wanted to feel like this again one Saturday when I woke up hungover. I stopped, joined slimming world and lost 2 stone 5 lb because the lady who run the class said that would be my correct weight.
She asked me how I'd stayed so focused, I'd not told her I'd stopped drinking also, stopping the food was a breeze. I had no cravings for drink over those months, nothing. I told her as I saw it, I classed it as a college course with homework.

When I got to the desired weight I stopped going, started outing a bit of weight on, started drinking again, that was about fifteen years ago.

It's been mentioned about the changes taking place when we stop drinking and can take a year even two for us to know our minds. So I'm waiting for the year sober to arrive and then realise I'm doing what I did when I went to slimming world.
I'm overthinking again but I guess it's good to prepare myself.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's great that you are thinking about/anticipating it. This awareness will help you not to relapse. Good going, Mags!
Old 05-23-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

milestones....

funny how there's a part of our mind that lies in wait, looking for ways to use milestones as an opportunity to get us back into the boozing game.

Good onya staying aware. Keep the sober path.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

It sounds like you have a great new awareness now

And this is very dangerous for 'bad habits'.

You are an inspiration Mags

Old 05-23-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found my second year really built on my first...like the AAers say Mags...don't leave before the miracle happens

D
Old 05-23-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hang in there Mags. Before you know it you will be looking ahead with a year behind you.
Keep it simple.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't pick up Mags - that's my recommendation. I picked up after over 6 years of sobriety. My life was so much easier and I was so much happier. My best friend died after a long illness and I picked up. It has taken me 4.5+ years to get to this point - Day 17 sober and my problems associated with being an alcoholic became worse than they had ever been.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks, I don't think I'm going to drink, but sometimes feel like I'm two people with very different minds. When it's good it wonderful but when it's bad it's bad. Highs and lows, I guess we have to put up with them.

I've nowhere to run, I have to face up to life. I know I'm not alone, it's a hard slog but better than how I was under the influence.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's way less painful than I feared Mags - you'll be fine

D
Old 05-23-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Dee, it's gotta be loess pain than we suffered drinking it's just realisation.

Just trying to find the quote about not leaving before the miracle happens, I like that. Found a lady on you tube talking about it.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's in a Fannie Flagg book but I think AA was using it before that

D
Old 05-23-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I trust you Mags. I think you are powerful and sweet like your avatar and you just have to keep SR close by and reach out like you do, and you'll be fine.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Dee and TipTree xx
Old 05-23-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

Lol, it's a while since I've been called sweet, xx
Old 05-23-2014, 11:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The mind can be funny sometimes. I actually joined this site back in 2009, but never posted. I came back here within the last week or so because I was feeling downtrodden in life, and was foolishly wondering if I was a happier person back when I used to drink- after being sober more than 12 years! I quickly realized my mind was playing games with me or something as I started to recall the bad experiences I had with alcohol. Drinking helps nothing in the long term. A night of artificial fun can ruin a lifetime.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks for that Wanderingbear, I can't imagine being sober for 12 years and I think in my mind we become invincible and can rule the world and control everything, even our drinking.

I know this is a wrong thought pattern, I need to retrain my brain, as long as I keep reading everyone's experiences and posting, I won't fall at a big hurdle, I'll get a ladder and climb over it , if it's too high to for me to clamber over, get over the obstacles any way we can, hey, even if it's not easy, I'm sure I can do it. Thanks again x
Old 05-23-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Mags -

I too follow the 'class' model & was a bit nervous heading into my second year. I pretty much knew how to get by in life and not drink by that point, ya know.

However, like Dee said, I'm finding year 2 to be a year of incredible internal growth, particularly emotionally and socially - by giving that area just as much focus, it's given back even more in return.

If it works, why not sign up for another "class"?
Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks SereneEdition, love blueberries by the way.

Yes, I'm determined to stay on track and I'm sure I'm going to learn more about myself and I know it's a roller coaster of a ride but it will get better and I look forward to year 2 and my internal growth. Thanks again x