Spring Cleaning Our Lives

Old 05-23-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Cool Spring Cleaning Our Lives

Random thoughts about this have gone through my head lately as I have been busy spring cleaning my home and I wanted to share them here...hoping someone tries it and lets me know how it works for them.

This is actually about for real spring cleaning, but it all ties in with recovery because clean house, happy surroundings, my peaceful corner...all make for serenity and my safe place to rest and renew.

It occurred to me, as I cleaned each room, how much better "I" feel when my room is clean, uncuttered and organized. I feel better when I get rid of old "stuff" that no longer serves any purpose. I am embarrassed to admit to how much old underwear and socks and half-used lipsticks (because I didn't really like them but was too cheap to throw them out), that I had accumulated.

Clothes that no longer fit were either thrown out or, if they were in excellent shape, I gave them to a women's home where women often arrive with only the clothes on their backs. I gave old sheets and towels and even old pillows to the local animal rescue shelter...they need this stuff badly and it was only taking up space and collecting dust in my home. Just the very act of finding something helpful to do with what I was removing, made the task easier and the decisions to "let go" came without effort.

I only did one room at a time, sometimes taking a couple of days to sort through my very small closet and my overloaded drawers and night tables.

I do not live in a mansion of many rooms, I live in a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo with limited storage space, no linen closet, and small bedroom closets...one for me and one for Mr. Ann who annoys me because he requires no more than a small closet, where I would like a walk-in room...but then I would only accumulate more "stuff" so I suppose I will be grateful for my limitations on accumulation of "stuff". My laundry/storage room is used as a pantry on purpose because it would end up being the "junk" room if I left myself options. I keep my luggage in there as well, and have a couple of shelves I use for a place to keep something that fits no place else...like large serving pieces I don't use every day but need when company comes.

My kitchen gets refreshed, some new tea towels and dish cloths, a pretty centre piece to set out and even my plastic container cupboard is organized once more...and god help Mr. Ann if he messes with my plastic containers organization. The plastic lids are with the containers they fit, no more no less and the random lids that used to fit something but haven't for years are long gone.

My living room has a small bookcase, very few nicknacks and some art I bought inexpensively at an art show when we moved in here. A couple of framed nature pictures are on my buffet and instead of having 20 pictures, I change them regularly...some days I have two roseate spoonbill photos I took in Florida, some days it is gopher tortoises or gators. Today it is lovely butterflies I photographed at the Butterfly Conservatory on Key West. this leave it easy to dust, pretty enough without "clutter" and my peaceful place to look out and watch birds or sit at my dining room table, as I am doing now and watching the birds on the bay.

I think you get the idea. I am organized, clean, and have space.

Now here's where recovery comes in. First, my home is now open for peaceful corners and sitting spaces where I can wrap myself in my thoughts, meditations, or just relax and feel peace.

I have worked hard on my recovery over the years, I work to maintain it every day. If I work so hard to feel good inside, why not work a little extra to surround myself with recovery space, air, beauty and relaxation.

None of this cost any money, how modern or outdated my things are has nothing to do with keeping it nice. A bouquet of fresh flowers is inexpensive, wildflowers are free...both lift my spirits when I put them on my table.

It's easy to not bother, it's easy to let the clutter accumulate again, but each time I organize and clean, the more I am motivated to keep my space inside and out, clean and with spaces to keep my recovery.

Try it, try one room and see if you don't feel lifted.

Be warned...I am washing windows next, it could relate to "seeing with clarity"...you just never know what I might bring here.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Really nice post.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Thank you Ann for that beautiful post
Old 05-23-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

well it's a "holiday" weekend, which means nothing to me, since I don't work and I don't have any family anymore, but you've inspired me to get my rain barrel hooked back up because we have a "slight" chance of rain over the weekend. Yeah, probably just another accumulation of dust as usual, but when you live in the desert just the mention of possible precipitation makes you sit up and take notice. Since I downsized and moved (for the last time) 3 times in 4 years, I've learned my lesson about moving stuff that eventually gets tossed.Thanks for in inspiration to get some of my projects done - especially outside before the heat really sets in. Have a sober and safe Memorial Day, ALL, and remember those who made it possible for us to live free. zig
Old 05-23-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Ann! I've been feeling a little down the past couple weeks, not sure why. Work is in a lull and I've had more free time, which can be dangerous for me, sometimes I fall into watching too much TV and feeling apathetic. Anyway, this inspired me to clean out my drawers and put away my winter clothes. A welcome change! I also put my home office in order, which cleared my head to do some planning on the writing I'm doing this summer. This weekend I will welcome spring by planting some flowers in the window boxes on my balcony. It's so true, keeping our lives tidy and letting go of the clutter opens us up to new possibilities!
Old 05-23-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm so glad it helped, jjj. I can be a procrastinator and often put off little jobs until they become big jobs. But I really do feel good and free once I have finished and everything is clean and organized.

Hugs
Old 05-23-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Beautiful sentiments, Ann.

I would fine tune the characterization a bit from my point of view
with respect to addiction.....

A high pressure hose, like firemen use. Water pressure so high that
the water stings your tongue were you so foolish as to try and take a
drink from it....NOW...CLEAN OUT THAT STALL!

All the feces, urine, filth and general scumduggery (yes, a new Vale word)
and then....after SCOURING said stall with bleach and soap----open it up to the
SUNSHINE. Let those UV rays KILL whatever is left.

Now, with all that filth, pain, anger, and hopelessness washed away---set a nice
freshly washed (AND SOFTENED!) matt out ......and enjoy.

I wish I could do this to every wretched crackhouse on Earth. I've only been to one.
It exceeded my horrific expectations.I didn't walk away up the street....I RAN!
Old 05-23-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

with the three day weekend upon us, I asked, well told, my bosses that I wanted/would be taking today off. I also outlined all things I had going and would see to some type of completion before I left.

now hank was supposed to work, thus me having a whole day at home. welp, no sooner did I head back to the bed for a little nap, then he called to say he was on the way home, and save him a spot. he then had to head BACK to work at about 12:30 to meet the truck bringing product for the masonry job.

I planned to have a whole day to myself. didn't quite work that way, but still....once he left again, and after my second failed nap (damn you insomnia to hell!) I got up and got started puttering around. basically restored order, the way I LIKE IT. serious dyson attack, emptied the bin twice. emptied the kitchen and bathroom trash, got the fly lady purple rag out and went on a buffing/dusting mission. laundry, dishes. even tidied up the basement a bit (hank has a project going with lots of what nots that needed to be rounded up!).

for me there is something about the surfaces gleaming.....the shiny sink...stove. our shoes lined up. symmetry brings me peace. the other day hank made a comment - I was folding towels, and he finds my folding process simply amazing....and he said, you do everything with this special touch...everything is folded just right and neat and orderly and I don't know how you do it. we tried once to have a towel folding lesson....just didn't go well. LOL

I very much believe that when we clear out and tidy our living space, we give our soul a bit of peace. chaos just isn't cool.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Anvil, I love shine too, and order...and I fold my towels in thirds, each side in so they hang nicely side by side.

Keeping my house in order keeps my spirit in order too. They are connected I think.

Hugs
Old 05-23-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

This thread is giving me some serious anxiety.

I have been sick, and my "to do list" just keeps getting longer. So much to do.....but I don't feel like it. Ughhhhh

P.S. I think my "OCD" has been cured.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

...hope you feel better soon, LMN.

(try watching this, courtesy of cynical.....it will either cure you----or send you over the edge!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of2HU3LGdbo#t=27

Cynical says it's a cat in a shark suit, chasing Vale.

(I beg to differ: I think it is the other way around!!!)

........no roomba's were harmed in the making of this video,
wish we could say the same for the dignity of duck & cat........
Old 05-24-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Lovely post Ann, I'm going through my house at the moment, one room at a time, I have the desire to rush but age money and time slow me down and keep me on a steady track.

We are just waiting for our wardrobes to be delivered and our bedroom will be almost complete. It makes me feel so peaceful and happy when I go in there, I want all my rooms to be the same. x
Old 05-24-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ann, I am inspired!

I have a vacation coming up... I have so many things I can donate, and gazillions that can be pitched.

My 'inner renovations' go much too slowly for me. But how much slower they would be going without having found SR, I don't want to imagine.

I am a collector of stuff that is awesome to me, but without a lot of value otherwise... neat rocks, old books, pieces of embroidery, old porcelain, old pictures... what to do with them? Oh, well, maybe when I am gone, my kids can have an awesome yard sale

thanks for your beautiful post, Ann. You are always like a fresh breeze to me.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Vale, you made a cranky lady laugh first thing in the morning, that video is a hoot...and yes, the only sensible one is the duck.

Something I noticed this morning as I made coffee is that I tend to accumulate stuff on my countertop which creates clutter and makes more work for me when I wipe it throughout the day. I am a plastic bin lady, I have a bin in a drawer in my bedroom where I keep my bag of makeup and face creams and hair products so that none of this needs to sit out nor does it roll all over my drawer. So I am going to bin a drawer in my kitchen and put the "stuff" that I may use once a day in there, so it's handy but clears my space. Same with the vanity in my bathroom...one bin that fits under the sink comes out in the morning while I wash my face, brush my teeth, and lotion up after the shower and then it goes back when I'm done. The bins keep it all together and out of sight.

Bins are our friends, everyone needs several bins in their lives. A day without a bin is a day without sunshine.

Hugs
Old 05-24-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Magsie

Ann, lol, a day without bins is like a day without sunshine, you crack me up, lol xx
Old 05-24-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Omgosh Ann, your killing me here. This "control freak" is trying to live and let live.

Now, where do we get these said bins? Great idea for those with control issues,
unlike me.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The bins are large but flattish plastic containers, most come with lids but you don't really need lids unless you are going to stack them. I find most of mine at Wal-Mart. Rectangle work better than round. They are like the plasticware you use but bigger and sturdier...but still very inexpensive.

Bins rule!
Old 05-24-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
Omgosh Ann, your killing me here. This "control freak" is trying to live and let live.

Now, where do we get these said bins? Great idea for those with control issues,
unlike me.
I got mine at wallymart too...I found some very nice ones with a black design on both the top and container...they are the perfect size for drawers...one holds flour, the other a 5 lb. bag of bread flour, sugar, whatever....also keeps the bugs and damp away.

OK Ann, you shame me....and you KNOW I work all week....one job at a time.
let the cleaning games begin!

today's list includes 3 boxes to unpack and it is down to the wire....keep it abd put it away, or toss it in the trash, no what-ifs I need it are to be considered.
then I will do 2 loads of laundry, change the sheets and fold up the mountain of tee shirts I have thrown in a pile to remain covered with cat hair.

I have done one box, sprayed the main shower with Clorox clean-up to fight the mildew and cut back 1/2 of a bush outside that is driving me crazy...I just found the clippers in the one box I unpacked.

I have also baked a loaf of absolutely WONDERFUL REAL JEWISH RYE from the mix in the bread machine....too good, chewy perfect crust, not tough.

waiting for the machine to cool down so I can make a loaf of apple cinnamon bread to bring to a friend who fractured her foot.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vale View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of2HU3LGdbo#t=27

........no roomba's were harmed in the making of this video,
wish we could say the same for the dignity of duck & cat........

My cat would so eat that duck!
Old 05-24-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
OK Ann, you shame me....and you KNOW I work all week....one job at a time.
let the cleaning games begin!

today's list includes 3 boxes to unpack and it is down to the wire....keep it abd put it away, or toss it in the trash, no what-ifs I need it are to be considered.
then I will do 2 loads of laundry, change the sheets and fold up the mountain of tee shirts I have thrown in a pile to remain covered with cat hair.

I have done one box, sprayed the main shower with Clorox clean-up to fight the mildew and cut back 1/2 of a bush outside that is driving me crazy...I just found the clippers in the one box I unpacked.

I have also baked a loaf of absolutely WONDERFUL REAL JEWISH RYE from the mix in the bread machine....too good, chewy perfect crust, not tough.

waiting for the machine to cool down so I can make a loaf of apple cinnamon bread to bring to a friend who fractured her foot.
I think I have created a monster.

The cupboard above my stove is a useless cupboard, it's hard to get stuff out of there, same with the cupboard above the fridge...can anyone ever even reach that cupboard?

I need to use them to store "infrequently used" stuff and free up space elsewhere for everyday use. First things up there? Baking pans and my one lonely cookbook by Paula Deen.

Fandy, send me some bread when you are done...I can't reach my bake pans to make my own.