Notices

Still Feeling Bad After Six Weeks

Old 05-22-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still Feeling Bad After Six Weeks

Hello. I am new to the forum, and relatively new to sobriety.

Some background: I am 52 years old, and I drank nearly every night of my adult (Hell, and teen) life. I kept a job, never got a DUI, but I got drunk every damned night. It probably wrecked my marriage.

Anyway, I quit, cold turkey, on April 8th of this year. I simply decided that it was time. I had tried AA a couple of times, and please, no offense, but it isn't for me.

The first two weeks were the worst. Anxiety, depression, foggy head, sweats, anger.

Things have gotten better as the weeks have gone on, but I still wake up every morning feeling like I have a hangover. Sleep has not been a problem for me, and I am not taking anything to assist me with it.

Is it normal to still feel like this after six weeks?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

~Mark
Old 05-22-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to the forum, Mark!

Six weeks is awesome!

Everyone is different, but on average it takes the brain chemistry about 90 days to return to normal after chronic alcohol use. Some longer. Some lucky buggers shorter.

Have you made any other changes since kicking the bottle? What are you doing with your evenings now that you're not spending them drunk?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Nons is right. It takes a while for the body and brain to fully heal. Stay sober and it should get better.

I'm glad you joined us.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mark! It will get better, and you are on track. Congratulations!! For many people, the first few months are probably the hardest. I remember feeling pretty strange during that time. Around 3 months I started feeling pretty good, then 4 to 6 months were great. It's a process and you are doing well!
Old 05-22-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply!

I read a lot, and that is my salvation. I used to watch movies while drinking, and that is OUT for the time being.

A very old friend is quitting his marijuana addiction, and on Saturday nights we have been having Yahtzee marathons. I used to smoke now and then, but alcohol was always my problem.

As expected I can't see most of my older friends. They drink and get high. I cannot be around it.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone!

The holiday weekend is going to be a challenge. I feel that I am up for it.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know about you but when I was drinking I wasn't taking care of my mind or my body. When I got sober I realized I had a few cricks and creeks I didn't know had existed. Now I'm trying to learn how to take care of myself. Maybe getting yourself to a check up. It does take time to heal the damage we have done to ourselves
Old 05-22-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, that is a good idea. I have been working out, too, which I highly recommend. Planet Fitness, near me, costs only ten dollars a month, and they are open 24 hrs a day. It is good for those early sleepless mornings.

I am also on a detox/cleanse program. It seems to be helping.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Mark

It took me about 90 days to feel anything near normal, but your mileage may vary.

Try focusing on keeping hydrated for a day or so, drink some water Gatorade or juice and cut back on the coffee - often being dehydrated can mimic a hangover pretty good?

D
Old 05-22-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am a tea fanatic and I should slow down on it. I love it so much, though. I do drink water throughout the day, which does help.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Mark! Congratulations on making this life changing decision.

I was older too when I quit - and had been drinking all my life. It was a huge adjustment in many ways. We need time to heal and recuperate from all we've put our bodies through. It took me a few months to regroup, & I did have the phantom hangovers. Even though I was thrilled to be free of it, I was a bit resentful in the beginning. It took some time to be excited about life again. It will happen! Glad to have you here.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am one day shy of 8 months sober. I can tell you it does get better, there is no way I am 100% yet. I understand it can take time and the waiting is the worst. I get my good days/weeks, but then I get a few days that are really tough. The Recovery Roller Coaster is such a good passage, its been posted on this forum and pretty much sums it up for me. Hang in there and keep up the great work!!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The worst was two weeks ago. I've had my kitty for 18 years and she was my greatest strength. Holding her and feeling her warmth and her purr gave me so much joy and serenity. Then, out of the blue with no warning, I woke to find my sweet Natasha in her favorite comfy spot. She had passed on in the night. I freaked out and screamed and cried, and I had to bury her in the back yard. I felt that this justified getting drunk that night. I *almost* did, but I ended up calling my friend and having an emergency night of Yahtzee instead.

My mother died five nights before my last drink. After that initial shock wore off, I decided it was time. I did it in her honor, and I wish I had done it while she was still here. Mom always urged me to stop drinking. Gently, never nagging.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

give yourself 6 months to a year and see how you feel
Old 05-22-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you start to feel better physically, but it really sounds like you're doing well. And, good for you for recognizing you need to avoid certain places and people, at least for awhile.

I'm very sorry about the loss of your mother and your dear little Natasha.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom and kitty! That is a lot of stuff to take in during early recovery, and it sounds like you are handling it very well. You're not drinking and that's such a big accomplishment. Just keep on keeping on, things will get easier soon. I won't lie and say that everything will be easy immediately as you adjust to this new life, but over time you'll see what you need to work on, have the ability to work on it, and find yourself making good progress. I'm glad you quit with your mom in mind, what a nice way to honor her.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I feel bad most of the day, but it is infinitely preferable to the way I felt when I was drinking. I was sick all of the time, and I got so I didn't notice it because it was the norm for me.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You've a good head on your shoulders for being early on in recovery. You seem to sense what you need to do for yourself in spite of losing those things you loved. It would be natural to be somewhat unsure of your future as you have had some upheavals and your emotions are tied in with that and also your recovery. Treat yourself kindly, gently and pray to God. He loves you. I'm walking with you..........
Old 05-22-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Stick with it, you'll get better. It does take time, as others have said. And you have a good philosophy going...you're right about not hanging out with your old routines (movies) and old drinking/partying friends right now. It's all about establishing new patterns. Your body is going to be thrown out of whack a bit. I drink seltzer water from dawn until dusk, seems to be a healthy habit and keeps the headaches away. All the best and welcome.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Mark, and congrads on your sobriety to date

Keep it up. I understand that AA is not your thing, I think its a personal choice, would just suggest you look into something . Maybe other programs such as SMART, AVRT, a therapist or something- just my opinion. Obviously being here is very helpful as well.

Great start on the fitness and recognizing you cant be around people who use right now.

You will feel better, emotionally and physically it just takes time.