Notices

Day 5

Old 05-22-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5

Hey everyone. Thought I'd update and go along with threads as the days go on to chart my progress. So I'm on day 5 now. Longest I've ever gone I think is 3 months before. Of course, I went back to it big time for over three years following those 3 months. But this time I feel so different.

It's like I've been given a true second chance at life. It's like I am going to be able to finally say goodbye to this awful alcohol that threatened to take so much from me. After just five days, my stomach no longer hurts, my head feels clear and I'm starting to notice wonderful things that I'd missed before. Just simple stuff like how amazing the rain sounds when I'm tucked up in bed and how quiet my own mind is now I'm not worrying about what the outcome will be of my next binge (it still fills me with owner that although I was constantly terrified of my behaviour and the consequences of getting drunk, I still did it. Isn't that crazy!! Feeling terrified to do something yet actively pursuing what you're afraid of).

So yes here I am at day 5. I've had three cigarettes in 5 days (only ever smoked when drinking but as I would drink 5-6 times a week and smoke around 20 cigarettes a time) I feel not too hard on myself about that. I can give up completely but right now if I'm having one cigarette but eating nicely and drinking water and tea, who can put me down about that?

I also realise I must never allow myself to be complacent or too comfortable in my sobriety - I know the devil himself waits and will wait a longh time to tempt me if needs be. I must be wise to look after myself and the people I love. I am finding this forum so helpful. Thank you, everyone here your support proves invaluable at this time.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Great job SuperMario! You sound like you are in a great place. It's so great to feel proud. I too love the sound of the rain. Take care.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 05-22-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on five days.
It sounds like you're coming to some realizations about how drinking affected you.
And you're right, we must always be on awares and not become complacent about our sobriety. It's been three years four months for me, and I still come here daily and pray every day for sobriety and those who still suffer.
And, yes, something as simple as the rain. Oh how I love it. Sober. One day at a time.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Realising my life

You're doing great, SuperMario

I've been sober for nearly 16 months now and I'm finding more and more beauty in simple things. It's like being re-born every day
Old 05-22-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm watching Question Time (a UK politics show) that I don't think I've ever watched sober before. I'm enjoying it! It's nice to watch it with a clear mind and know that I'll be able to listen to what the politicians say and consider what they say instead of shouting in my drunk stupor at the TV!
Old 05-22-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I think it might be a bit early in sobriety to take on Question Time! Maybe when I've been sober for a decade, I'll give it a go!
Old 05-22-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadLump View Post
I think it might be a bit early in sobriety to take on Question Time! Maybe when I've been sober for a decade, I'll give it a go!
Hehe! That may be true! my other half is on a night shift tonight. It's wonderful to enjoy this time to myself, for myself, not as a slave to my wine or beer or whatever else I used to drink. It's lovely to talk to everyone on here as I go through this journey. It is a journey, I know how cliche that sounds, but I feel it's a very apt description of what I'm going through.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Hehe! That may be true! my other half is on a night shift tonight. It's wonderful to enjoy this time to myself, for myself, not as a slave to my wine or beer or whatever else I used to drink. It's lovely to talk to everyone on here as I go through this journey. It is a journey, I know how cliche that sounds, but I feel it's a very apt description of what I'm going through.
Yes, it is a journey - and it's a real privilege to walk alongside others
Old 05-22-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Awesome start SuperMario

D