Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Our collective will to prevail! Weekender thread Memorial Day 2014

Notices

Our collective will to prevail! Weekender thread Memorial Day 2014

Old 05-21-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Talking Our collective will to prevail! Weekender thread Memorial Day 2014

Looong sober weekend thread! Memorial Day weekend 2014

It is a bank holiday in the UK. And certainly the unofficial start of summer here in the states. It may or may not be a holiday in other lands near and far... But it is a sober weekender thread here on SR!

Last weekends picture thread seemed to make me excited to log back in and see places I have never been. So post a pic if you like! A BBQ. A walk alone in the woods. A gathering where you know your secret and stand tall in your sobriety!

Me? I have a guest from New York visiting. Some may know who I refer to. But taking time to sort things and move on is an important step when that time is right. Only you know.

If you are new to SR welcome!

If you have fewer than a hundred posts you are in the right spot.

If you need an ear we will listen.

If you just want to be a little snarky then we welcome the humor.

Anyway you slice this weekend we share it collectively ... The will to get, or stay or finally decide to be sober can be done together. In a safe place.

So please join in!!!

Ken
Old 05-21-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you so much Ken for starting another valuable thread.

Here's hoping your visit goes well and good things come of it.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Ken.

I think this will be my first sober long weekend in more than 20 years.

I will be mountain biking Saturday and Sunday, and on Monday I expect to do a lot of reading and take it easy.

Enjoy the weekend!
Old 05-21-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ops!!! It's Wednesday! I am so off it's not funny... I actually thought it was Thursday!!! And I am sober!

I cannot believe I did that!

Oh well... Then let's get started shall we?
Old 05-21-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome joyfullysober! Sounds like fun. Check in over the weekend.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was going to start it today if noone else did anyway Ken

A lot of people seem worried about this weekend - first long weekend in summery weather for many I guess?

This link is for Thanksgiving...but many of its tips are spot on for any social occasion.

If you haven't read through it before, do give it a read

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

D
Old 05-21-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll throw my hat in the ring. Going to be a 3-day weekend for me with a lot of temptation. I plan on hitting up at least of couple of AA meetings and staying busy.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome hurculon!!

Dee... Guess the drunk in me knew it was time to start. Thanks!

I am already in full holiday mode.

Spring has sprung here in Maine and the need to be out means a not so gentle reminder of the times drunk and high at the beach. My first summer back and maybe it's more behind my eyes than I suspect. Time to double down on SR.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Better late than never. I mean early.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey LB... Yeah early perp is good!

And speaking of snarky! Lol glad to see you! You make me laugh! Thanks.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm glad you had the brain spasm and started us on Wednesday. I've noticed all those ads telling me that I need a drink in my hand while I stand by the grill flipping burgers or I will be all unAmerican and won't have any fun. I'm not tempted because I forgot it was Memorial Day for a while and I never have big plans anyway but I know lots of people are worried.

I've had a rough week so seeing the more lighthearted weekend thread made me happy. Just overwhelmed with shuttling people from here to there, coming home to an awfully messy house, and not getting meetings or quiet time because I'm doing a bulk of the child care while my husband adjusts to working mid nights.

So yay! I'm in.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What? What?!
The weekend is here already!?!
Sweet!!!!!!
I am in.
Even though there are still a couple more days, I will begin to make the mental transformation to weekend mode.

You can never be too early!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think I will be stopping here frequently over the weekend, lots of temptations and stressful situations coming into town this weekend. I will be sure to check out the Thanksgiving thread, thanks!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Thumbs up Hey! look who's an 'early perp'...

Thanks for starting the weekend thread early, Weasel! I love hearing what everyone is up to while I am doing my own thing.

Below is one of my favorite photos. This was taken at a time in life when I was totally sober. Keeping it going! (Kids, always wear a helmet. Let this be a lesson for you). The pools open this weekend...I'll be spending time in one for sure. Yeeeee!

Any guesses where in the U.S. this photo was taken? (hint: the mountains go on forever). Take care everyone. Stay strong!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hopefully, it will be a good weekend. On Friday I'm going to the cinema with a Friend and we are going shopping on Saturday. If my Grandmother gets discharged from hospital, we will be having a small lunch/party on Sunday with about 8 of us. She turned 89 last Monday and we didn't get to mark the day.
I hope you all have a good weekend
Old 05-21-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yikes. I forgot it's memorial day weekend. I'm in...this is going to be my first sober holiday weekend for years.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tetra I hope your gram is on the mend. Have fun at the movie. Seeing something serious or comedic?

LeTheVerte, where are you cycling in your photo? I've spent a lot of time in northern New Hampshire and that looks like it could be there. Love the photo. What vistas lie ahead!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My plan is to stay busy doing a variety of things... lift weights, spin, work, read my AA book, church, two AA meetings, wash the cars, go to the park with the kid. The only real temptation I have is a two hour birthday party at a bowling alley. I will avoid the BBQ, lake, red neck yacht club, and any of my other triggers.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was just thinking to myself Ken, this time tomorrow it'll be time for the Weekender thread, and as I looked down the threads there it was, Christmas has come early!!

Well I'm working today and tomorrow, but tomorrow evening I'm going to visit my sister and her fiancé for the weekend to discuss pre wedding matters for the big day, my sister gets married in 2 weeks time, so after work tomorrow I'll be rushing to catch a flight and then back home on Sunday evening, in time to enjoy that bank holiday Monday with some much needed relaxation.

Extra super long Sober Weekend?!! . . . if your struggling? post, if your new? post, if your winning? post, if you've slipped? post . . . just keep posting and reach out for that collective support!!

Let's do this Sober Weekenders!!
Old 05-22-2014, 01:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Looks like my morning and my weekend are starting early this week!

Mrs. Non loves her bird feeders. So do the raccoons. They come up on the deck at night to raid them, and my German Shepherd goes OFF. Gonna be a long day on little sleep.

I am not sure what this weekend holds (except sobriety,of course!). I was at a work conference this week, but I had to terminate my participation early because my back is killing me. Working in my shop all last weekend I must have done something with a delayed reaction. I could barely stay in my seat on Tuesday. Came home and saw the doc, he gave me some PT exercises and a muscle relaxer. Hopefully I can get some things done in the shop this weekend, but playing it by ear.

In better news I have lost 24 pounds since December.