Notices

Day 1

Old 05-21-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hi everyone, I am just joining today because I think I am finally accepting the fact that I've become an alcoholic. It started slowly as just drinking a little to much and too often and now it's everyday and always too much. I actually woke up with such a hangover today that I had to call in sick for work. I also think that my depression is mostly due to my drinking and it's taking a toll on my kids. And I've gained so much weight as a result of the drinking, I can't fit into any of my clothes which makes me even more depressed. So, today I decided I need help so joined this forum and am calling our work help line. I don't want to attend AA meetings or anything public at all as I've hidden my drinking from most everyone--although I know my kids suspect as does my husband but they never say anything.

I look forward to the support of this group as I know it's going to be a difficult few days as my body goes through detox. I stopped drinking once for 2 weeks a few years ago but now it's everyday so going to be tough.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Imara. Welcome to the board from another fellow alcoholic

Do you have any plans for how you're going to go about detox?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Imara!! You'll find loads of support here!!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really don't have any specific plans other than to take daily probiotics, eat well and try to find time to exercise every day, which I often don't do since I drink instead when I get home from work. Challenge is two evenings out this coming holiday weekend so I'll have to be extra strong not to drink wine with dinner. Any suggestions are helpful since I know it will be hard for the first few days.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I told my wife and my mother that I had quit drinking. I think it's important and helpful to have the support of family. Remember it takes at least 3 weeks to form new habits.. so stick with that exercise and not drinking, it'll take time to start feeling normal but be assured you will get there. Good luck and hope to see you posting lots about how your recovery is going.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Imara and welcome to this forum

People are great here...true sober buddies through the good and the bad...Day1 and on.

Arriving at Day1 is no small feat. Good for you!

Post as much as you want or need and read a lot. Like purpleknight wrote...you will find loads of support.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

Welcome, take advantage of all the information available it does work if you work it.

Cool thing is... lost calories will help you with your weight concerns too hugs
Old 05-21-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Imara,

Welcome! This is a great place to be! Just keep reading and posting. There is a lot of help here.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Yes! Firefall is right. The beer-bell, wine-belly, Jack-belly, champagne-belly does in fact disappear. Poof!

It does take work - you need to let go of that alcohol. Do the work. Kick it for good.

You can do this

**For the evenings and the upcoming weekend...I suggest keeping a laptop logged into the forum on the counter while you are cooking. Have something alternative to drink at your fingertips and some nice music playing in the background. Then you can do the cha-cha, stay hydrated, have support to stay away from the bottle, great distraction and endorphin release - all at the same time. And all good for you in the short and long run.

The weekend support thread has been a huge support for my past weekends. It is like checking up on good friends to read what they are up too.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Imara;4664923]I don't want to attend AA meetings or anything public at all as I've hidden my drinking from most everyone--although I know my kids suspect as does my husband but they never say anything.
QUOTE]

You'd be surprised at how many people 'know' or at least strongly suspect. When I came clean to the people closest to me it was no surprise to them even though I thought I was being a pro at hiding it. Anyway, stay close to SR. Keep us posted on how you're doing throughout the next few days. Stock up on water, juice, tea and munchies. You'll be amazed at how quickly the weight drops off when you quit drinking. The poor body doesn't know what to do with alcohol, it being a toxin, so it's stored as fat.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh and one more thing...make sure you don't have any alcohol in the house.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Imara - you'll find a ton of support here

D
Old 05-21-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Imara 😊
Old 05-21-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes! Firefall is right. The beer-bell, wine-belly, Jack-belly, champagne-belly does in fact disappear. Poof!
What type of time frame are we talking here? I know it's different for everyone but I'm just curious about how long it took some of you to lose weight and big bellies....
Old 05-21-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

Everyone is different, if you don't eat more to replace what you're not drinking your metabolism will ramp up maybe slowly, maybe quick depends on the person.
Just remember it didn't happen overnight so it won't disappear overnight.

A good tip for cleaning up kidney function which affects endocrine system (glands) is cucumbers. Have some at least every other day. Don't drink anything with sugar.
empty calories.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Imara. I think you'll find the support & friendship here very helpful. You're never alone.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the welcoming words. I made it through this evening without wanting a drink (most likely because my head and stomach still feel bad from drinking too much last night. It's when I feel better that I worry about slipping up. But Imara means strong in Kiswahili so that's what I'll be.