Notices

Coming up on my 100 day goal

Old 05-21-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coming up on my 100 day goal

A little over 3 months ago, I made my first post in SR:

Brand new here...not really looking for any specific advice, just wanted to write a few thoughts. I'm in my early 50's and until 8 days ago - I drank. A lot. You wouldn't know it as an outside observer, I never miss work, never had any run-ins with the law and my family relationships are strong - so I'm lucky. What you wouldn't know is that every day for the past 30 years I would start drinking at 5 and don't stop until bedtime. 8 or 9 beers during the week, more on weekends. Never got really drunk or did anything stupid - just pop a few Ibuprofen in the morning and off to work. I knew I drank too much but since it wasn't having any adverse effects (I thought) I could keep it up. I'd just be the guy that really liked beer. Well, I came to realize that intaking that much alcohol on a regular basis is going to have some physical effects. I developed an occasional heart arrhythmia - which I was told could be brought on by alcohol use. Woke up with a searing pain in my upper gut about 2 weeks ago and the discomfort in my toe joints (gout?) has started to bother me. So I realized that even if things look good on the outside, it's killing me eventually to keep ingesting that much alcohol.

In the past, if I wanted to 'cut back' I'd make some rule like 'no beer Mon - Thurs', but then there would be a Monday night football game, or I'd go out to grab a burger with some friends and make an exception. Once I made that first exception, the whole thing would fall apart and I'd be back to pouring beer down my gullet 7 days a week. So I'm trying something new. I'm going to try and 'reboot' my relationship with alcohol. I'm going to abstain for 100 days. So far I'm on day 9. It has not been easy. A habit that's been ingrained for 30 years doesn't give up without a fight.

Like Friday, I finished work at 5, the early spring sun was still up and I was dying to go home and get into the beer. I didn't, but I felt sort of sad - like an old friend had died. But I'm hoping as time goes on I'll learn what it's like to watch sports, go to a friends house, go out to eat, etc. without having my friend beer with me.

After 100 days, if I choose to drink, I want t be able to do it like a 'regular person'. Maybe a couple at a ballgame or after cutting the grass on a summer afternoon. We'll see. I imaging many of you are stopping forever and I respect that - I just don't want to put that 'forever' thing out there. Hoping I can 'reboot'. learn to drink normally and prevent any further health issues.

Saturday will be 100 days. Did I 'reboot'? Can I have the occasional beer like a "normal" person? Or is it best to just stay the course of sobriety?

Well, it was a challenge to do this - I ain't gonna lie. The first couple weeks especially. I've dealt with parties, events, nice restaurants, warm spring days, etc. and stayed strong. It's quite a bit easier now and I feel so much better physically. When I look at it from a 'risk/reward' standpoint the answer is clear. If I were to allow myself that first drink - there's a risk that will start me back and I'll eventually arrive back at my 8-beers-daily setpoint, and along with it will come all the nagging physical pangs. Of course, it's possible that I will be able to moderate effectively for the rest of my life. But why risk it? I remember quitting smoking many years ago - I thought it was possible to be a 'social smoker' and I relapsed a few times before I finally realized I'm always 1 cigarette away from being a smoker again. That was 20 years ago and I don't even think about smokes anymore.

I feel as though I'm making my way out of a house I set on fire and the flames are finally starting to subside...now I'm wondering if it's safe to pick up a book of matches again, as long as I'm real careful. Ha...

So that's it - 100 days down this weekend and hopefully many more to come. Thanks again for the support here.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on coming up to 100 days and congrats on your decision not to "reboot".
Old 05-21-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I made it past 100 days and then figured I was 'rebooted'.

Then followed a year and a half of steady, consistent, unhealthy and lousy binge-drinking.

I'd stay the sober path if I were you.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Alkaline. (Stay the course; sobriety will never let you down.)
Old 05-21-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have made it close to 3 months now without too much difficulty except for the 2 week physical withdrawal. Seeing a counselor at the US Army Substance Abuse Program has helped.

I don't trust myself to reboot, don't want to go through withdrawal again.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great Job!!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Better yet, set your next goal.. 200 days!! Congrats on 100
Old 05-21-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
A little over 3 months ago, I made my first post in SR:

Saturday will be 100 days. Did I 'reboot'? Can I have the occasional beer like a "normal" person? Or is it best to just stay the course of sobriety?

Well, it was a challenge to do this - I ain't gonna lie. The first couple weeks especially. I've dealt with parties, events, nice restaurants, warm spring days, etc. and stayed strong. It's quite a bit easier now and I feel so much better physically. When I look at it from a 'risk/reward' standpoint the answer is clear. If I were to allow myself that first drink - there's a risk that will start me back and I'll eventually arrive back at my 8-beers-daily setpoint, and along with it will come all the nagging physical pangs. Of course, it's possible that I will be able to moderate effectively for the rest of my life. But why risk it? I remember quitting smoking many years ago - I thought it was possible to be a 'social smoker' and I relapsed a few times before I finally realized I'm always 1 cigarette away from being a smoker again. That was 20 years ago and I don't even think about smokes anymore.

I feel as though I'm making my way out of a house I set on fire and the flames are finally starting to subside...now I'm wondering if it's safe to pick up a book of matches again, as long as I'm real careful. Ha...

So that's it - 100 days down this weekend and hopefully many more to come. Thanks again for the support here.
Well done on a quarter of a year (sounds even more impressive that way)

Truly great going my friend.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey alkaline--congratulations!! 100 days is a big deal. Maybe you can defy the (long) odds and return to moderation. I'll say for me, who was/is very much like you in history--and I bet you'll hear this many more times as more people reply--my "rebooted" self never lasted long. A few weeks, a couple weeks, a couple days...it always eventually leads me back to the old ways sooner or later (sooner and sooner with each attempt to be bluntly honest--and beware of a boomerang effect, which can take you past the old levels to all new levels).

I still always thought I was the one to beat the odds. Part of me still believes it. But I'm learning to not listen to that part of me, because I know it's wrong.

I wish you good luck and hope to see you around here. My advice: you've given yourself a real gift with these 100 days. It'll be harder to wrap yourself that gift next time. If it were me I'd keep the roll going. Keep piling up those days.

I was 110 days in the last time I thought I was fixed. I wasn't. That 100 day mark now seems like a long way off...
Old 05-21-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i feel like every time i rebooted, things got out of control real quick.
(and i'm not talking about after a week off the booze.. i mean after several months or more).

certainly, well done and i wish you the best. personally wouldn't tempt it... i've tried and failed miserably.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A huge congrats on this milestone!!! Sounds like things have definitely gotten better for you, and based on that it seems you have your answer about which direction to take. Drinking = bad physical effects; Not drinking = only getting better.

I do hear you on the finally quitting smoking after trying to moderate, but caution you to be very aware that this scenario in no way guarantees that drinking again will strengthen your resolve, make quitting any easier, or demonstrate that you've magically turned into a light drinker.

As for me, when I finally made it to my big goal of 100 consecutive days (which actually took 236 days, yikes, had to look that up), I immediately made a new goal of 180 days. When I reached that, I made a new goal of 270, (today I'm at 210). Not much farther ahead from you. So, I'm rooting for you to keep going. Even if you don't know what this next chapter brings, it's definitely guaranteed that you'll look and feel better.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your story is my story to a tee. I have asked myself the same questions. I do miss drinking, but have concluded that I can't go back. Good luck to you!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AlmA

well done Alkaline

But what ever you do ...
DO NOT PICK ONE... or you get back in the whole!
Moderation does not work trust us...

Glad you are making 100
Old 05-21-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done Alkaline. I agree with others. Time to set a new goal. Keep the streak of days going.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 100 days
Old 05-21-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 100 days alkaline.
Don't do what I did.

I confused 'abstinence' for 'control'.

I went out for a night's drinking...just 'one or two' with old friends...not only did I get the most drunk ever and was nearly arrested but I didn't stop again for 2 years.

Two years of some of the hardest most destructive drinking ever.

Addiction is both relentless...and patient.

D
Old 05-21-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 100 days sober! Don't start drinking again, it's not worth it.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulation! Hopefully I am headed for triple digits as well.