Notices

Feels good to be here

Old 05-20-2014, 11:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feels good to be here

I just joined SR today. Fresh out of rehab after a seizure, DTs and a 16-day coma. 53 days today. I'm looking to get as many weapons in my arsenal as possible. I'm hitting meetings, sharing and praying a lot.

My major problem is that I am having trouble finding a home group and therefore a sponsor. Not that many meetings in my area and I don't fell very comfortable in any of them. Look further afield or try to settle into one of them? This grateful alky would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR It's good to have you here
Old 05-21-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Personally, I don't think a home group is all that necessary. Doing the steps is highly advisable, so a sponsor would be a good idea. I'm curious why you are not comfortable in meetings.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, ScyllaCharybdis! Great name, btw- it really describes alcoholism to a "T". I don't know much about treatment options as I just use AVRT, but I wanted to welcome you anyway.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR ScyllaCharybdis

D
Old 05-21-2014, 03:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

Having a home group is important,I believe.There the people know you well and you can be of service to the group.

It can take a while to feel comfortable in a meeting,no harm in trying others out though.

Wishing you well.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome to SR, Scylla and congratulations on your sobriety so far. I'm sure you'll find plenty of support and inspiration on this site :
Old 05-21-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I totally dig your name!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, SC. And put in me in the "love your name" camp!
Old 05-21-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! You'll find loads of support here!!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks muchly all for the warm welcome. Feels great. ScyllaCharybdis has been my "nom de screen" forever on all kinds of sites. But only students of Greek mythology and alkies ever got it!

Meetings. Hard to say why I can't find one (yet) where I feel at home. It seems most I have tried are either dominated by a few people who monopolize it by talking waaaaaay too long and meandering (unfortunately I tend to tune out after about 5 minutes) or are filled with people who have little to say at all. And say little I have not heard before. I can't find any middle ground.

Anyway, I have one I go to most of the time that is OK, but I shall continue wandering, Bedouin-like, through the recovery desert. Actually I am starting to think this site will be one of my most important resources for the meat I cannot seem to find in meetings so far!

MythOfSisyphus (more Greek mythology!) - how is AVRT treating you? I've considered it, but I'm a bit old-fashioned I guess.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome ScyllaCharybdis. . I'm sure you will find much help, support and wisdom on this forum.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome SC. I've hardly posted at all, but have lurked all too long. There is so much wisdom and support in this place. I'm hoping to do without aa meetings, and reading here is really helpful, seeing the outpouring when people issue cries for help. Post here whenever you have cravings and they will talk you down. Really a safe, open place
Old 05-21-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Scylla!

Welcome to SoberRecovery, and congratulations on staying sober!

I go to AA meetings, but found the AVRT "crash course" to be very informative. There's a lot of discussion of AVRT on this forum if you want to know more.

I feel comfortable in my local AA group. My sponsor is not the type of person I would have chosen, but he was recommended by someone I trust, and it has worked very well. I have had to adjust and pay attention to "principles, not personalities."
Old 05-21-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome!

You sure have been through the wringer.

Almost a month for me and it is slowly
getting better.

There many kindred souls here to support
you. There will be times that you may feel
down and depressed (normal), but if
you do, just come here.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

I listen to speaker meetings online at XA-Speakers - The lights are on!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've tried out handfuls of meetings and many of them were, as you said, one extreme or another. That said, AA is very uncomfortable at first in general. It took me about a month to feel comfortable in my current home group, I was sure it wasn't the place for me... and now I can't imagine ever being a part of any other group. I actually drive 20+ minutes to attend, because I prefer it to the groups in my area. As I became more involved and a regular attendee, I felt so much better about it, people recognize me, we talk, they care. We have our ramblers here and there but I have found more joy than I initially thought I would and I am so thankful to have given it a chance. Keep checking out meetings, find what works for you, give them a chance. Everywhere is different, truly. There is a lot of support and wisdom here. Best of luck to you x