Notices

Extreme fatigue?

Old 05-20-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Extreme fatigue?

Ok, I'm on day 10 completely alcohol free after 10 years of about 2+ liters of wine per day. Dr put me on oxazepam for withdrawals.

First 7 days I felt great. Full of energy! Hydrated!

Last couple of days, though, the withdrawals are pretty bad in the mornings. Slight faint feeling mixed with confusion. I'll walk into a room and forget why. I'll start a project at work that, while hungover, I could have done in myself but now, while sober, takes total concentration and my best efforts.

Today I was extremely irritable and fatigued. Got off work and hit the couch and took about a 30 minute nap...and I'm not a nap kinda guy.

Is this normal after 10 days? When should I expect the energy to come back? I'm also, per dr instructions, decreasing the amount of withdrawal Meds. Tomorrow I'll only be taking one per day for 3 days then I'm done.

But other than feeling like total crap, I'm sticking it out. I mean, if this is what sober is then I'll go back to drinking. But I know it gets better...just wish it'd hurry up! Haha. I don't have any strong urges to drink...just want my energy back.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

Normal. It will get better. In AA they call it "mocus".

Nap if you need to and don't expect too much from yourself for a while. Treat yourself as you would someone recovering from a long, long illness. That's what you are.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was wildly fatigued for two months! Have very tiring days still, but it's better after 90 plus days.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh absolutely!!! The fatigue was the worst for quite a while, but it did get so much beyter! Congrats on your sobriety!!!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 78 and I'm still very tired most of the time. I fall asleep at my desk if things get a little slow. I hope that it gets better soon.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sober living can be rough at first but it gets better the longer you stay sober. Keep at it.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I napped almost every day for the first month. Second month still had to rest alot. Now at 3 plus months I no longer need to nap and don't feel totally exhausted all the time. Am still not bursting with energy, but I feel a whole lot better. I try to be kind to myself and rest when I need to.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

For at least a month, I was exhausted and slept far more than usual.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jttexas, I remember thinking I might as well drink cause I felt so crappie in the beginning. ....but thank goodness I didn't cause I started feeling better. Eventually you feel great.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

After I started sobriety, I experienced the same symptoms. Before I stopped drinking I was used to working on highly complicated issues 12 hours a day, every day. In early sobriety, I had to muster all my available concentration to get certain things done that sbould have been a lot easier.

It was frustrating. For awhile, I needed more sleep.