Notices

Still Feeling Guilty

Old 05-20-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still Feeling Guilty

I'm still trying to balance the emotions that come along with quitting drinking. I keep telling myself that I will never have to feel those ways again as long as I stay sober. I still feel guilty though. Help!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Alli,

This might sound like a funny question: do you know why (or what about) you are feeling guilty?

Do you have someone in your life like a therapist, counselor, or psych that could help you sort through the emotions and put them to rest a bit?

I know that just before and after I stopped drinking it felt like all these emotions were just 'coming at me'! A bit like the ice had melted and everything that had been frozen suddenly became animated. Whoa! Then some added stressors made everything appear 'larger than life' sized. That is, until I had a chance to chill a little.

Hang in there. You are among friends.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you! I specifically feel guilty about my inability to moderate my drinking and how obnoxious I am when I do drink.

It's hard for me to accept that these things don't define me, but I'm working towards it.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Alli,

Aha. From an outsider's perspective...I just looked at your public profile (not to be creepy ) and can see at least 6 other things that define you other than your inability to moderate your drinking and how obnoxious you were in the past when you drank.

You definitely hit the mark with knowing that you never have to feel that way ever again That is nice to think about.

When I feel lousy about something done or said in the past I start with a mental exercise where I imagine what I would say to someone I love - a friend, a sister, a daughter - who finds themselves in a similar situation. Then I treat myself with the same amount of gentle kindness, love and acceptance while continuing through that sorting process. Try to be gentle with yourself - not an easy thing to do sometimes.

You are in a great place here Alli. Lots of great advice to come for sure.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support. It's greatly appreciated!

What past times have you adopted since abstaining?