Notices

First try

Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First try

Here goes. I'm 30. Been working in bars for 8 years now and surprise surprise I've concluded I've a problem. I'd say I haven't taken in a night off in about two years and average a 12 pack of beer to 20 a night. On the 4 nights I work there is usually a good amount of whiskey involved before the beer back at the house. I just started a plan, in theory, to wean myself off but am not sure if its safe. I'm in ok shape but do smoke a minimum of 2.5 packs a day. I'm open to any suggestions here. Thanks for listening.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would seek help from a physician in lieu of trying to wean yourself off, if you don't think you can quit cold turkey. I hope you're different, but for people like me, it's all or nothing. Cutting back never worked.

Oh, and welcome to SR. I'm glad you're here.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

try to get in a rehab/detox facility.
welcome to the forum, it's good you recognize this before it gets much worse.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by bouncer13 View Post
Here goes. I'm 30. Been working in bars for 8 years now and surprise surprise I've concluded I've a problem. I'd say I haven't taken in a night off in about two years and average a 12 pack of beer to 20 a night. On the 4 nights I work there is usually a good amount of whiskey involved before the beer back at the house. I just started a plan, in theory, to wean myself off but am not sure if its safe. I'm in ok shape but do smoke a minimum of 2.5 packs a day. I'm open to any suggestions here. Thanks for listening.

Hi and welcome, I've tried to cut down in the past too, for me it was too tempting to have a few more etc, so I just maybe don't have enough willpower to do that, I'm not saying it's impossible because nothing is, but it wasn't for me sadly. I'm glad you have joined us buddy.
Take care.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that but it may have to. Thank you for the response and the welcome. its appreciated. Also, the majoraty of my income still currently comes from bar work. What are folks thoughts on getting sober while still working in bars?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I agree that you are to the point where you should see a doctor or go to the ER before you drink again. It's what I had to do. I went from the hospital to a week-long detox.

My detox program was no-cost and allowed cigarettes, but they're all different. I was so distracted by living in a strange place that I did not notice the effects of the detox (oh, and I had a prescription for anxiety).

Maybe you'll lose your job if you do this. Maybe that's not a bad thing. For me, living a sober life means being away from alcohol as much as possible.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by bouncer13 View Post
Thanks. I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that but it may have to. Thank you for the response and the welcome. its appreciated. Also, the majoraty of my income still currently comes from bar work. What are folks thoughts on getting sober while still working in bars?

Hi, I've never worked in a bar but I don't think I could do it for all the money in the world, it's kinda like putting a kid in a sweet shop.

It must be difficult when it's your livelihood but I'm sure you will do what's best to help you through this.
Just keep visiting SR it's amazing how much this helps, it really is.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Bouncer, I tried the 'weaning myself off' approach for months and only found myself getting in deeper. Maybe some people can do it, but from my experience it's impossible. There are alcoholics who can manage to work in the bar scene...but the few I know have a good amount (yrs) of sobriety in between them and the bar before they return... I myself couldn't do it but hey I'm only on 7 days. I'd recommend seeing your dr. or a dr if you don't have a GP, tell them everything, how long how much and what. They'll help you come up with a plan, in patient or out patient detox to start. Would you consider switching careers? I would.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh hey.. now it's 8 days..woopie!
Old 05-20-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks hawk, congrats on 7 days. That's huge! I've only just started evening talking to friends about it last few weeks. As for giving up my jobs I've considered it. I just no idea where to go from that line of work. I don't even enjoy it it's just become the norm. Frankly all of the changes sound down right terrifying. I really do appreciate you all talking to me.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Bouncer. I'm just a bebe in living the sober life and there are many on here with far more experience than I.

Giving up an alcohol addiction is a lifestyle change. There will be a lot of difficult changes you'll find you need to make as you go along...but first things first you gotta detox safely. That's nothing to mess around with.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I would look for other employment. Too much temptation. I worked in a liquor store for years and would not have been able to quit while working there. I've been a bartender too, so I know what that is all about as well. Doesn't mean you have to quit, I would just start looking for other employment.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You may be able to stop drinking and still work in a bar but it will be harder to do with all the temptation all around you. I'd recommend seeing a doctor for medical help with the detox and looking for a different job.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Bouncer

My advice is to see a Dr too. Best to be safe than sorry, y'know?

As for bar work....some can apparently do it. I wouldn't have been able to.

D
Old 05-20-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi bouncer - I'm so glad you joined us.

I'd love to go back to age 30 and do what you're doing. Be glad you've had the sense to realize where this is heading. I hope it'll help you to talk things over here - you're not alone.

I have a friend who bartends & he's 10 yrs. sober - so it can be done. Not an ideal situation though! I hope you'll keep posting - we care.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, bouncer. This site is can be a great help, glad you stepped in. Changing jobs always seems easier said than done and you probably feel like you're looking at a stack of tall orders already. The easier you can make it on yourself the better, especially in this early going, but you can surprise yourself, too. If you can get the intake dialed down to zero, whether on your own or with a Dr.'s help, and get even a few days clear under your belt, the next part of the strategy may come a bit more into focus. Pulling for you--check in and keep us posted....
Old 05-22-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ok, day 2 of getting myself down to a 6 pack at night. Not feeling to bad. Not sleeping all that well and keep waking up sweating. I find if I keep myself busy it's a little easier. Walks, reading, ect. Also constantly drinking water seems to improve things. I'm still not sure if this is a good idea to try on my own but I've always been a stubborn mule that way. Holy crap it's hard to type with shaking hands. Hahaha. Thanks again for all the support and suggestions. Ill try to keep updating you all as things continue. Thanks again, bouncer.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job, bouncer. The water = very smart. Take a multivitamin and a banana every day if you can, maybe keep some sweets around to knock some of the edge off (you're system's probably wondering where went all the sugar it was getting). And of course keep an eye on the withdrawal symptoms and how you're feeling and be ready to ask for medical help if it gets too stiff. Hang in there and good luck. Keep checking in.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

From a six pack for several nights to one night of 9 beers. i got myself down to 3 for a night as of now im 28 hours sober.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Congrats on those 28 hours! I heard something a couple of weeks ago that struck me as a profound truth in my life so i've been repeating it ad nauseum. I can either enjoy my drinking or control it. Never both. This is so true for me! I know i can drink "just a few" but i'm always left wanting more. I can get away with a little controlled drinking for a while but my desire to drink ever increasing amounts to achieve the high i am chasing lands me in a fog of drunkenness, fear, frustration and disappointment. This is an ultimate truth for me. I'm pretty fine with that now. I just don't have the relationship with alcohol that allows me to drink. It may not be the relationship i want to have but it's what i have to live with and accepting that gives me peace.

Keep up that sobriety! It's very much worth the work.