Notices

Help please.....:(

Old 05-19-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help please.....:(

Hello everyone,
I am new here and this is my first time ever writing for help and support. I am or was in along distance relationship with an alcoholic. We've been together or known each other for over 2 years. I've gone to visit him twice already and was planning to visit him again this summer. The first time I visited him was 3 months after we met on line. Before we met I knew he had trouble with alcohol. We would talk and he would be drunk and was an angry drunk. Would swear and call me names. I finally went to visit him 3 months after we met and I fell in love even more. But in that visit, he ended up trashing the hotel room I stayed in and he ended up in the hospital because of alcohol. I had to pay for all the damage and I stayed an extra week to take care of him. I don't know why I stayed and I don't know why I fell in love but I did. Fast forward to 2 years later, we've broken up and got back and he continued to drink and I stayed around and try to help him. He was in a sober living house from November until The end of March. He was doing well. He had a job and hadn't had a drink since he had moved in the sober living house. Then when he moved out in April and moved in with a female roommate. Since then he texted me less and less and called me even less but still told me he loves me and can't wait for me to come visit him. Until about a week ago when he called me drunk and he was arguing with his roommate. I knew he was hiding something and I knew he was with her because he stopped calling me from the appartement and only called me from outside. I called him on it and he denied anything was happening and he said it was all in my head and that he can't be bothered to deal with my insecurities. Until I told him that I heard him say things to her when he thought he had hung up. Anyways, I told him goodbye and that I'm not mad at him just hurt and I haven't heard from him for a week. I don't want to call him but I'm worried about him. He is alone and has no one. I don't care if he is with another girl but why couldn't he just be honest. Please help me understand this and I need help just to get through this. Please...
Old 05-19-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is very obvious that you care for him.
We know that you want to do all that
you possibly can to help him.

The fact is that he alone controls
his destiny. He alone must make
the decision to quit drinking and
remain sober.

For excellent support, contact
your local AA.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I bet you would get a lot of great feedback on the Friends and Family forum.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are hurting, Bellajack.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you.... Any ideas how to make the pain go away? I wish I understood how he is thinking or what is the truth or the lie.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

He seems to be using you, toying with your affection. That doesn't sound like love to me, that sounds like manipulation.

I hope you can get some support to get over your feelings for this guy. Better to be alone than to be treated badly.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

Sorry you are hurting. We are powerless over addiction, well over pretty much anything and anyone except ourselves. We can choose what is good, and detach from those that are not.
Sounds easy, it is, but only after you make your life about you, so that you can be whole and strong. In this way you can be more caring when it will be useful.

Recently I was told:
When someone is laying by the roadside injured, do I go get help, or do I lay down and bleed with them? If I do this, we are both lost.

Hugs
Old 05-19-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would suggest you to attend Al-Anon. You didn't cause it, can't control it or cure it.
You didn't say how old you are, or if this a first relationship with an addict.
We tend to repeat relationships in life.
I know you are confused and hurt. A relationship with an addict is heartbreaking at best.
The pain will subside given time to heal. You will be much better off being proactive in your recovery by finding what it was that attracted you to this person when there were red flags before you met f2f, and avoid a similar trap in your future relationships.
You deserve nothing less than a healthy relationship with a whole person.
I wouldn't settle for less.
I wish you love, peace and happiness.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bellajack - welcome

You obviously have a big heart and I admire that you still want to help this guy after all the things he's done to you - and lets face it they were nasty.

The fact is Bella if he's carrying on with his roomate, he's not alone and he has someone.

True it's probably headed for a train smash but thats not your responsibility to fix.

Move on - be happy

D
Old 05-19-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Low

Let me get this straight.....you met him online, have been in touch for 2 years but have only seen him him twice in that time...so the first 3 months over the phone he says ugly horrible things to you, and the first time you go to visit him he trashes your hotel room and lands in the hospital-drunk. I can certainly understand why you fell in love with him, he sounds charming. Seriously, the best thing you could do is find a good therapist and get yourself healthy, to understand why on earth this would be acceptable to you. Learn to love yourself, or you are in for so much more of this...so sad.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bellajack4 View Post
Thank you.... Any ideas how to make the pain go away? I wish I understood how he is thinking or what is the truth or the lie.
Possibly we can support each other. Sounds like we're in a similar boat.
I'm not much for advice but if knowing you're not alone helps...
I understand. Very hurt, lonely, and sad too. Wondering what happened to my life. Hugs to you.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your comments. I know it looks so straight forward to all of you and to me too at times. I'm 43 years old and i have been seperated from my husband for 3 years, my choice. This guy I met online was my first relationship with an alcoholic or any addiction for that matter. I'm having a hard time letting him go cause he needs help and I don't want him to feel like he is alone or have been abandoned. I know what that's like to feel alone and abandoned. I just really want him to be happy and healthy. But like you guys said I can't want it for him or do it for him. He has to want it for himself and do it for himself. I just wish I knew he would be okay, even tho he has hurt me. Plus I really do love him so it hurts not knowing how he is and the lies and the cheating.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The thing is Bella, anytime he wants support, he can find it - he can join a forum like this, he can go to an AA meeting, he can visit his doctor, he can go to rehab.

It shouldn't be, and isn't, your responsibility to make him better.

That's his job.

You didn't abandon him - he treated you very poorly, he pushed you away and you left for your own good.

D
Old 05-19-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

Right on Dee
Old 05-20-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The thing is Bella, anytime he wants support, he can find it - he can join a forum like this, he can go to an AA meeting, he can visit his doctor, he can go to rehab. It shouldn't be, and isn't, your responsibility to make him better. That's his job. You didn't abandon him - he treated you very poorly, he pushed you away and you left for your own good. D
I agree. You cannot make anyone sober, he has to help himself.

That analogy about lying in the road with them bleeding is a very good one. I'd understand if it was a recent thing after years of happiness but it sounds like he's been like this from the start.

You gotta put yourself first man. Definitely try the friends and family forum though.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Give yourself time and distance to strengthen your commitment to your own well-being.
I read this is an article:
"If you act on everything you feel, it's because you are choosing to block out the likely consequences, which helps irrational feelings become irrational actions. Instead, allow yourself to experience, respect and move through your conflicting feelings by recognizing and remembering that they don't always have to make sense. You will be less likely to act on irrational feelings when you understand and accept that its normal to feel that way."
Dr Suzanne Lachmann
Old 05-20-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bellajack4 View Post
Thanks for all your comments. I know it looks so straight forward to all of you and to me too at times. I'm 43 years old and i have been seperated from my husband for 3 years, my choice. This guy I met online was my first relationship with an alcoholic or any addiction for that matter. I'm having a hard time letting him go cause he needs help and I don't want him to feel like he is alone or have been abandoned. I know what that's like to feel alone and abandoned. I just really want him to be happy and healthy. But like you guys said I can't want it for him or do it for him. He has to want it for himself and do it for himself. I just wish I knew he would be okay, even tho he has hurt me. Plus I really do love him so it hurts not knowing how he is and the lies and the cheating.
It's never easy. You can't just turn your heart off I was married to an alcoholic years ago. Then, I married someone who turned out to have an Internet sex addiction. I suppose I overlooked this one with his, "beer and a plate of food." It's been a lot more than that. He's such a great guy, I love him but he got very out-of-control last Friday night. He's been gone since, his choice. I suggested AA. Until he sees it, nothing I say will make a difference.
I was enlightened to view his criminal record after we had been married about four months. It was eight pages of; DWI, driving while license revoked, open container, and etc.
It breaks my heart.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Low View Post
Let me get this straight.....you met him online, have been in touch for 2 years but have only seen him him twice in that time...so the first 3 months over the phone he says ugly horrible things to you, and the first time you go to visit him he trashes your hotel room and lands in the hospital-drunk. I can certainly understand why you fell in love with him, he sounds charming. Seriously, the best thing you could do is find a good therapist and get yourself healthy, to understand why on earth this would be acceptable to you. Learn to love yourself, or you are in for so much more of this...so sad.
Ditto. Please take care of yourself.