Notices

Day 2

Old 05-18-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Hey everyone. Day two for me today.

I wasn't an everyday drinker (my drinking pattern was drink everyday until that time I drank so much my body would ache so badly I felt I physically couldn't, before the day after the hangover feeling better I'd think "hey! I can drink today now no problem!").

Well, today I feel horrific. My anxiety and stress levels are through the roof, I can't face work after Friday and embarrassing myself horrifically in front of colleagues. Also my liver aches, my legs ache, my mouth is dry and I'm exhausted. Do I even mention my problem to my bosses? I don't want to get fired but I don't know how else to go about this. I'm 100% sure about 100% sobriety but the rest of this is a mystery to me. I'm scared for tomorrow right now.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi supermario, you've made the right step, day 2 great.

I know I had a lot of anxiety and stress, hot sweats, you name it I think I had em whilst stopping. Might be worth a visit to the docs, they are completely confidential and helpful.

I embarrassed myself for years until I stopped and that is one thing I know I won't go back to, no more memory loss, hangovers, when you do remember cringing with embarrassment. Booze made us act in a way, for me, I would never act when sober.

With all the ailments from getting sober while our bodies and minds repair the poison and abuse we gave them, I wouldn't swap it for a drink of alcohol.

Guess what, after a while it does get easier and you can start living a free life without the crutch of alcohol.

All the best.

Last edited by Mags1; 05-18-2014 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-18-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags. I genuinely mean I have never had an unkind or I'll thought word to say to anyone ever when I'm sober. But drunk I just spew venom that comes from nowhere and shocks and disgusts me because I know that's not how I think or feel. The deep burning shame is the worst feeling. I hope I can make it to a peaceful place in my mind with no worries or fears for the future.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey supermario

I had to go back and look what happened to you on Friday cos I forgot.

Your workmates will, too in time.
You might get a little teasing or attitude but they'll move on.

I'm not sure there's any reason for your bosses to be involved unless there was more the story?

You're committed to sobriety and you've been to AA - those are concrete steps...be proud of that, even if you're still embarrassed about other stuff

D
Old 05-18-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Dee. There was nothing so bad (I think!) to involve my bosses with, what I mean is, do I share my alcohol problem with them? If I don't I feel I would just be cryptic and perhaps wouldn't make much sense. I am exhausted today and feel like a scared child. I am ashamed that I am an alcoholic.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

It takes time, I wanted everything to happen overnight, run before I could wal. It doesn't work that way, unfortunately, one step at a time that's all it takes.

Don't worry too much about your work, you can always apologise if something is said. Where I work you can go to medical centre and they will help with any addictions but I didn't, was too worried what people think, did it on my own with the help,if this forum, SR. Been a lifesaver for me.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Unless you're planning to take time off to go to rehab or have some kind of EAP programme I generally would advise discretion SM.

If it's a small company or something, and you know the bosses and you think they should know for any reason, obviously that's a different matter.

It's your call.

D
Old 05-19-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Don't be ashamed, supermario, I have a strong mind but booze got me beat for years.
Hold your head up proud, you are making the right moves to get and keep sober.

Look after you and yours, that's the most important thing along with your sobriety.

Last edited by Mags1; 05-19-2014 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-19-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Supermario,

I think most of us here can definitely identify with how you feel. I have wandered around this site for a long time, but decided I should start participating, as I have been a problem drinker for many years. Getting past those initial days of sobriety is tough. I am starting over after giving in to alcohol yesterday. One thing that I started doing is making short, self- motivational videos on my phone. I made my first one this morning. Each time a craving hits me, I.e., end of workday. I'm going to make a brief and positive video assuring myself another sober day.

Definitely get to a doctor for a checkup and blood work if you haven't already done so. As for work, most employers are not going to fire you over an alcohol problem and, as mentioned, some even have substance abuse programs. I should mention exercise! Not necessarily vigorous, but just a walk can help relieve some of stress.

Keep it up and best of luck to you! I'm definitely going to keep coming back to this site for support and inspiration.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi vinyl fever thanks for the message! Yep I too am going to keep coming back, it feels like a lifeline at the moment. Nothing feels more important to me right now than getting back on track. Nice to have everyone's support and I unconditionally offer mine.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

SuperMario, I'm on day 2 also. Yesterday was horrific for me too- I didn't even sleep 5 minutes last night. I wouldn't disclose this to your boss unless necessary. It's a private matter. If you said mean things on Friday apologize and keep moving forward. Time heals those type of situations. Just learn from it and know that you never have to make those choices again. And just think- this is the last time we have to face withdrawal. It's up to us.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope2014 View Post
SuperMario, I'm on day 2 also. Yesterday was horrific for me too- I didn't even sleep 5 minutes last night. I wouldn't disclose this to your boss unless necessary. It's a private matter. If you said mean things on Friday apologize and keep moving forward. Time heals those type of situations. Just learn from it and know that you never have to make those choices again. And just think- this is the last time we have to face withdrawal. It's up to us.
Thanks for this message and you're absolutely right. Once I've said my "I'm sorry's" to people I have wronged, I can move forward with the knowledge that I'll never have to feel like this ever again. And that's amazing. Thank you for the wonderful reply.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Hey everyone. Day two for me today.

I wasn't an everyday drinker (my drinking pattern was drink everyday until that time I drank so much my body would ache so badly I felt I physically couldn't, before the day after the hangover feeling better I'd think "hey! I can drink today now no problem!").

Well, today I feel horrific. My anxiety and stress levels are through the roof, I can't face work after Friday and embarrassing myself horrifically in front of colleagues. Also my liver aches, my legs ache, my mouth is dry and I'm exhausted. Do I even mention my problem to my bosses? I don't want to get fired but I don't know how else to go about this. I'm 100% sure about 100% sobriety but the rest of this is a mystery to me. I'm scared for tomorrow right now.
Congrats on day 2.

I lived with the pains for months and years of heavy drinking on a daily basis, I'd hit the drink again to get a rest bite from them and it did go away until the next day of course, when it all came back again. I'd get the shakes in the arms and legs so much so I started to get anxiety about walking down stairs without clutching at a hand rail, especially if I was carrying stuff.

After stopping drinking and getting through those initial rough times (and it was tough), those aches and pains have gone, no shakes, sleeping better, no nausia in the morning, no bloated stomach, no rotten guts.

I feel better now than I have in years - so hang on in there it does get better if you stick with it.