Notices

This site

Old 05-18-2014, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This site

Is a god send. Really.

I never gave it a full chance when I first joined because, looking back, I wasn't in the right place to quit. I wish I had been as last week was literally the worst week of my life (and I've had some pretty damn bad weeks before)!

I'm at 10:15am on day three. If it wasn't for the support here I'd be back to day one as I was so close to drinking yesterday.

I'll be honest - this journey terrifies me. The physical, mental aspects but also the stigma. I'm so ashamed of myself for becoming an alcoholic.

Sun is shining and daughter is coming back from her weekend away today. Going to do boring things like housework to keep my mind off the headache and wine.

Just a question - will paracetamol help with withdrawal headaches or not? I'm on medication so always reluctant to take anything extra but would do if I thought it might help.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Best take that question to a doctor. Advice on medication is not something we are qualified to offer.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hesitate to say somethings ok cos noone here knows your clinical history, allergies, state of health etc,....

but sure, taken as directed on the packet, 2 paracetamol or ibuprofen always helped me.

If you're not sure best to ask your Dr or pharmacist.

D
Old 05-18-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Needinghelp82 View Post
Is a god send. Really.

I never gave it a full chance when I first joined because, looking back, I wasn't in the right place to quit. I wish I had been as last week was literally the worst week of my life (and I've had some pretty damn bad weeks before)!

I'm at 10:15am on day three. If it wasn't for the support here I'd be back to day one as I was so close to drinking yesterday.

I'll be honest - this journey terrifies me. The physical, mental aspects but also the stigma. I'm so ashamed of myself for becoming an alcoholic.

Sun is shining and daughter is coming back from her weekend away today. Going to do boring things like housework to keep my mind off the headache and wine.

Just a question - will paracetamol help with withdrawal headaches or not? I'm on medication so always reluctant to take anything extra but would do if I thought it might help.

I'm not sure about paracetamol helping withdrawal headaches to be honest, but I'm so glad you are back on the path where you belong.

Well done.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry I forgot the medication rule.

I'm on different pills and it's been ok to take before so guess it's worth a shot. I guess I was wondering more whether withdrawal headaches are immune to regular headache treatment. I'll give it a go and see.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through!! Great Job on Day 3!!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on day 3.

Your headache may just be that you need more fluids,drink water,it is hot here today,keep well hydrated.

Keep going,you are doing great.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would drink lots of water or clear liquid too as being dehydrated can make you feel worse.
It makes me feel very edgy and upset when I am dehydrated.

I used to use the rehydration sachets that you can buy from supermarkets if you have an upset tummy.

They are the equivalent of drinking around 8 pints of water.
I could never drink that much water.
I'm not a fan of plain water.
But if you have been drinking a long time, you may be chronically dehydrated.

I wish you the best xx
Old 05-18-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

The first week is the hardest. Giving up drinking is the best thing i have done.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hi NeedingHelp - welcome back and congratulations on the 3 days! I too had to come back after a long relapse. It was hard but I am so grateful for this site and although I've had some big curve balls thrown at me lately, my gratitude for facing them sober overrides everything else. It's four weeks for me today - still early days, but once I got through that first week, it got better. My best to you.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're giving it another go. Never give up!
Old 05-18-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My first couple of days of detox I swear I drank at least 6 litres a day and was hardly going to the toilet and my urine was still pretty dark. Crazy. Good luck
Old 05-18-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi NH,

SO happy to hear that you are reaping all the rewards of this community.

Hang in there! Yes, if you have to be in the house then clean all those crevices that never see the light of day

Take care!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I've been out for a walk and late lunch with hubby. We went to the local as it is mainly a food place and I had a pint of coke. First time I've had lunch there without a glass of wine!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Needinghelp82 View Post
Hi all,

I've been out for a walk and late lunch with hubby. We went to the local as it is mainly a food place and I had a pint of coke. First time I've had lunch there without a glass of wine!

Well done, I love a pint of diet coke with ice... Hhmmmm.

Congrats again
Old 05-18-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You are right.