Notices

occasional feelings of doom

Old 05-17-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

occasional feelings of doom

Normal or not anyone? Sometimes ill get these feelings of dread and doom like something bad will happen to me health wise....or if i start to feel too good sober i get freaked out like omg, i cant feel this good somethigs wrong. Stupid i know but anyine else get these feelings?
Old 05-17-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My moods were so up and down in early recovery. With more sober time they settled down and now aren't so 'uneven'. This will pass.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm in early sobriety and a literal rollercoaster. Part of it might be amplified by my mental illness but I'm told that the yoyo-ing and anxiety is normal.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think those are pretty common - I certainly had them.

Try your best to focus on today and not jump ahead to the rest of your life...that will unfold as it will, one day at a time

D
Old 05-17-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think those are pretty common - I certainly had them.

Try your best to focus on today and not jump ahead to the rest of your life...that will unfold as it will, one day at a time

D
Thanks D, I was just talking to someone about trying to figure out my future then read this.

christimc early on it is a roller coaster. If you feel like the coaster came off the tracks find someone to talk to, it helps a lot. Trust me.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was guilty of this for a long time.

"One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living.

We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon - instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today."

Dale Carnegie
D
Old 05-17-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, I had those thoughts and feelings early on and occasionally still have them. At this point though, I don't think that something's wrong. It's just that this is what it's like to be sober. And part of suddenly being sober is that your feelings and thoughts can bombard and overwhelm you. I found a therapist and stuck with her for the first six months. She helped me stay anchored at times.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I was guilty of this for a long time.

D
I love this, thank you.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by christimc View Post
Normal or not anyone? Sometimes ill get these feelings of dread and doom like something bad will happen to me health wise....or if i start to feel too good sober i get freaked out like omg, i cant feel this good somethigs wrong. Stupid i know but anyine else get these feelings?
When I went through some periods of depression in my earlier years I was sure I was going to die early from cancer. I was surprised to read later that this is a common symptom of depression. I know your are being treated for depression so don't hesitate to talk to your doctor about your feelings.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by christimc View Post
Yes, I do with the exception that I get sad and/or depressed rather than freak out. In fact, I've had those feelings quite allot lately.

Awesome quote Dee. I love it.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Naturally feeling good feels wrong to me. Maybe too many years of artificial highs. I do feel high levels of dread but I attribute that to aging.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes its normal to go thru that stage. Your body is readjusting itself back to normal,just let it all flow,and deffinately have a place to lay and chill. This will take some time getting use too,so be patient,,you are healing right now,this is a sign of healing.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

my moods were all over the place in early days my head wouldn't stop looking for things to worry about its takes time for that to slow down and other people helped me with that process in meetings as i would spew it all out and get some release from it all and feel at peace for a little while then go home and it would start all over again
you could try writing things down that are going on in your head right now and get it out that way but make sure you then go back and reread what you wrote say in an hours time or 2 and i bet you will be amazed what your thinking compared to what you was thinking just a couple of hours ago
Old 05-17-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wish that I could say the chaotic roller-coaster of feeling-your-feelings gets more stable and predictable after the first six months, but for me, it hasn't.

-DrS
Old 05-17-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have not caved or given up!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you back posting 2much

D
Old 05-17-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hear you........