Notices

First Day of Sobriety

Old 05-17-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy First Day of Sobriety

Hello all,

I got arrested for a DUI 2nd Thursday night/Friday morning. I am completely scared for my future and am filled with utter despair. After my first one, I thought I had gotten better (or at least I rationalized to myself that I had). I have never been an everyday alcoholic, but am a binge drinker when I drink. I am going to my first AA tomorrow and I am nervous. I find myself wishing I could just drink socially like everyone else and keep asking myself, why do I have this disease? Today is my first day sober and I plan for sobriety to continue for the rest of my life. I feel ashamed, guilty, and cannot believe my own stupidity. Any helpful advice anyone could give on other things to do besides AA or any support offered would be wonderful. I have hit rock bottom. I am only 29 years old and I know I have a whole life ahead of me. I just need to pick up the pieces and try to get back up.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please don't be nervous about going to AA for starters. Everyone has had a first time there and they know what it is like. You will find it very friendly I am sure!

I go to AA, read and post here and read quite a lot of literature too. If you get into a zone where alcohol is your enemy and not a friend to 'give up' that will help!
Old 05-17-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Im right there in the same boat with ya. Minus the DUI. I dont like the fact its never gonna get better so I can drink normally but its not. I got into some drunken trouble with the law at 28 or 29. I was so upset I started in AA. I enjoyed it and walked away with a Big Book but only got sober for a month.

Being a binge drinker is tough. Its easy to rationalize that we are not so bad because most times I drank I didnt get drunk. But the consequences are the same. Its been 6 or 7 years since I got into trouble and Im on day 2 of sobriety again.

Get in there and take it seriously and youll save youself time and pain.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, I've always asked myself why I can't drink socially and haven't found an answer yet. I've accepted that it just "is." I attend AA meetings. I socialize with non drinkers. I focus on the things that are going right for me and that I enjoy doing. I take my sobriety one day at a time. Some days are easier than others. Welcome to SR. You can't beat yourself up forever and shouldn't. We have all done things we are not proud of and manage to move on and live happier lives.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stay away from drugs alcohol an smoke. Enjoy to woman, gym, computer games, food.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChangeRequired View Post
Hello all,

I got arrested for a DUI 2nd Thursday night/Friday morning. I am completely scared for my future and am filled with utter despair. After my first one, I thought I had gotten better (or at least I rationalized to myself that I had). I have never been an everyday alcoholic, but am a binge drinker when I drink. I am going to my first AA tomorrow and I am nervous. I find myself wishing I could just drink socially like everyone else and keep asking myself, why do I have this disease? Today is my first day sober and I plan for sobriety to continue for the rest of my life. I feel ashamed, guilty, and cannot believe my own stupidity. Any helpful advice anyone could give on other things to do besides AA or any support offered would be wonderful. I have hit rock bottom. I am only 29 years old and I know I have a whole life ahead of me. I just need to pick up the pieces and try to get back up.
Change...u are in the right place... it wont be an easy road, but one worth traveling. Here if u need a friend
Old 05-17-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a very friendly and supportive site. Take advantage of our support to help you get sober for good.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! I was a binge drinker and eventually got a DUI at age 30. So your situation sounds a bit familiar I got sober a few times from ages 27 to 36. My best advice is to realize the gravity of your situation now rather than later. I am so grateful I knew to get sober in my 20s. Some can get it on the first try. But for others it takes a few. I kept thinking I'd be ok to drink again. Because I was not a daily drinker, the impulsivity to get blasted once in a while was strong. But looking back with hindsight, I see just how much of my time was spent recovering from the binge and feeling "ok" again in order to want to binge again. The endless cycle.

Congrats on the desire to get sober! SR can help.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Realize that being sober really is a rewarding and enjoyable life. Any time you think you need alcohol to have fun or to conquer boredom, that is just the alcohol demons speaking (it's not true)! I have also always been a binge drinker and got 2 DUI's in the same month. It wasn't enough to stop my drinking problem, I needed to make the decision myself that I'm done.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Something that has stuck with me is changing people I would hang out with and placed I would go. Making a new routine
Old 05-17-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to meet you ChangeRequired.

I've been there too. You will rise above this. There's no point in feeling ashamed or guilty, that won't do anything but keep you down and defeated. You'll come out of this to lead a better life. Keep posting - it will help with the anxiety you're feeling. We all understand.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to a chance to live probably the way you wish to for a long time. It's simple but not always easy, we just don't pick up the FIRST drink. Alcoholism is a progressive disease so the whys and maybes will never amount to much. I just needed to ACCEPT the fact that I cannot drink alcohol in safety and take daily steps to stay sober.

BE WELL
Old 05-18-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dear Change
Well done on your first day. We all started with day one and they do add up if you use the help of others, make the changes then help others out of this damn hole.
Best wishes.
Be safe today
G