Some Serious Questions I am wondering about.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some Serious Questions I am wondering about.

I am new here and have only posted once, but I really need some feed back. My AH is not drinking, but he is very distended in the stomach. I have tried to get him to see the doctor about this and well that has not worked out so well. He thinks that his distended stomach is caused by eating to much salt. He has a history of drinking horribly for at least 45 years. I finally got him to quit with minimal lapses. What I am wondering is if this is a sign of Decompensated Cirrhosis. He also has developed a very bad body odor, even after having taken a shower. I am very worried about him. I have tried to talk with him about this and it is like he is in terrible denial and will not see a Hepatologist. He thinks that he is in very good health. Can anyone here please let me know if you think that this could be Cirrhosis? Thank you for allowing me to post.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello,

I am sorry I cannot offer any first hand wisdom to you, and that you are dealing with this.

Hopefully others on here with some experience can chime in.

Just doing a quick google search yielded many possibilities relating to alcoholism, which this may or may not have to do with (though it seems likely that it does).

However, as you know, no one can tell you for SURE what is going on, and if you cannot get him to seek medical help, you can at least try calling a medical hotline. Google search "medical advice hotline free" and you will find phone numbers to call.

Perhaps you could call his doctor as well?

I wish I had better advice for you, hopefully someone else will have better advice than I do.

Good luck to you.

Peace.

ETA: A lot of people on here have mentioned that body odor issue you are talking about. Also, remember that it is possible that he has been drinking lately/recently. I'm sorry you are dealing with this.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't have a lot of advice either unfortunately. I'm so sorry for all the worry you are feeling. My husband hasn't drank as long as yours has but I had noticed my H beginning to have a putrid body odor that would permeate our bedroom and about knock me over when I'd enter our bedroom. He too had a distended looking belly, his face looked swollen, and just an allover puffiness. Since he has quit drinking (sober only a few months now) he has lost weight, the awful smell is gone, as well as the puffiness. He looks 10 years younger and is always told that by friends too. My H went on his own to have a full physically that included a liver check. I didn't make him do this, it really was all on his own. You'll have to let your husband do that on his own too.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know, after rereading your post the last line caught my eye:

"Thank you for allowing me to post."

I know this is off topic for what your post was asking about, and I hope I am not out of line for mentioning it... but living with an alcoholic can really wear you down to the point where you feel like you have no rights.

My point is, that is exactly what this forum is for - posting about your experiences dealing with an alcoholic. I just mean, you don't have to feel bad or like an intrusion for talking here. You are welcome here.

Maybe I am way off the mark - maybe it was just a cordial closing line or figure of speech - but just in case I am not, I wanted to remind you that you are important, too.

Peace.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok, can't get the link to paste for some reason. At the top of the alcoholism forum, in the stickies is one titled "Quitting...what to expect...
That might answer some of your questions because it is stories of people who have gone through what your husband has done/is doing.
You can't make him see a doctor or take care of himself, but you can take care of yourself. Have you tried Alanon or celebrate recovery? Those types of programs can be very helpful to someone living with the disease of alcoholism and the constant stress that entails. Hugs.